classy albums

musicman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I reckon I might have to check out some bossa nova. As far as I know I'm only familiar with "Blame it on the Bossa Nova" song. My dad talked a lot about Edie Gormie and that guy who sang with her when I was growing up.

"Blame it on the Bossa Nova" is so not bossa nova. The real thing is very cool and relaxed. It seems to go well with a gin and tonic. :)

"Blame it on the Bossa Nova" is so not bossa nova. The real thing is very cool and relaxed. It seems to go well with a gin and tonic. :)

c523732v502.jpg

Eydie was quite well known way before she had married Steve Lawrence. I've had her greatest hits with Los Panchos for years and those hits (her voice) are what made them famous. I always thought she was Puerto Rican, Edith Gormezano? but shes of Jewish ancestry. Multitalented woman. Rare talent indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eydie_Gorme

c523732v502.jpg

Eydie was quite well known way before she had married Steve Lawrence. I've had her greatest hits with Los Panchos for years and those hits (her voice) are what made them famous. I always thought she was Puerto Rican, Edith Gormezano? but shes of Jewish ancestry. Multitalented woman. Rare talent indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eydie_Gorme

Yes, Eydie Gorme is now 76 years old! My favorite song by her and Steve Lawrence is called "I Just Want To Stay Here And Love You." It came out back in 1963.

manhattan.jpgHow could we forget these guys!?

They were really ahead of their time in the 70's when they brought back musical interest in the sound of the 1930's and 1940's. I always wanted to see them live one day perhaps, especially if I see them in NYC. :D

Add Sam Cooke's Portrait of a Legend to the list. He was a definite influence on many singers today. I remember my mom playing "you send me" quite frequently. I have to hand it to Mr. Cooke because he also wrote many of his songs as well. I will have to say this is a must for those who want to be introduced to his music.

There are only a few now a days that I know of that sing in the style of Frank Sinatra. This guy named Dan King used to always perform right here in DT at the little Italian place on corner of Texas and Main across from the Rice. He does quite well and takes requests from folks. he can do almost every Sinatra song as he does tribute to him in specific. He has a website. Check it out.

http://DanKingmusic.com

• 3 months later...

i haven't made any purchases until recently. i must highly recommend Jackie Gleason/Bobby Hackett The Complete Sessions if you're into mood music. For those that don't know, Jackie conducted quite a few albums for capitol records in the 50's and 60's. Think full string orchestra with a soloist, in this instance Bobby Hackett (cornetist from Glenn Miller orchestra). i suggest it highly for anyone having a cocktail party in the near future.

• 1 month later...

Archived