Wyoming to Texas Via Moab and Pagosa Springs

My wife and I spent the night in Vernal, Utah last summer on the way up to Vancouver, and drove up through the Flaming Gorge area to Idaho (cutting through a corner of Wyoming.)

Did you see the "Remember the Maine" painting outside Vernal, which is on the road to the Indian pictographs/petroglyphs at McConkie Ranch?

Very cool...Beautiful country. I don't want to be anywhere near it in the wintertime, though! ;)

This is in Wyoming Eh?

We need to do a vacation up there one of these days.

Beautiful pics Montrose.

I don't think we'll be doing the 4-wheeling Mark did. Looks like they almost rolled over a couple of times.

541195010vRiLuE_ph.jpg

swCOtrip706010.jpg

Summer2006BennysCam083.jpg

184374685jCQuZa_ph.jpg

I have had a cabin in North Pagosa for sevral years, love the area. Very peaceful and a great place to hang out.

140405101niCkdL_ph.jpg

Remember the Movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, With Newman and Redford? well this is the house they used for the scenes with Kate Ross and the bicycle riding and stuff. It's just outside of town towards Durango.

IMG_7962.jpg

the springs keep the water between 90-100o year around. Warm mineral water, great for the aches and pains

My wife and I spent the night in Vernal, Utah last summer on the way up to Vancouver, and drove up through the Flaming Gorge area to Idaho (cutting through a corner of Wyoming.)

Did you see the "Remember the Maine" painting outside Vernal, which is on the road to the Indian pictographs/petroglyphs at McConkie Ranch?

Very cool...Beautiful country. I don't want to be anywhere near it in the wintertime, though! ;)

I know Steven and Scott McConkie pretty well, I drilled a lot of wells south of Vernal in '98-'99. Nine mile canyon has the better pictographs/petroglyphs IMHO

mk9804_150.jpg

nm9902_150.jpg

ar9901_150.jpg

Fremont20Granary.jpg

Yeah that's Treasure Falls. Nice shot you got. I didn't have enough lens to do it justice.

it looks so different not covered in snow! ;) did you continue on 160 thru South Fork, and then on to Alamosa to the Interstate? then down on into New Mexico to Amarillo, down to Lubbock, and onto Fort Worth, finally down 45?

it looks so different not covered in snow! ;) did you continue on 160 thru South Fork, and then on to Alamosa to the Interstate? then down on into New Mexico to Amarillo, down to Lubbock, and onto Fort Worth, finally down 45?

Actually I do go to Alamosa, I have friends and family there, but then I drop down to Tres Piedras and cut across to Taos, then drop down to Las Vegas (NM) and on to Vegas Junction, then on to Amarillo.

Actually I do go to Alamosa, I have friends and family there, but then I drop down to Tres Piedras and cut across to Taos, then drop down to Las Vegas (NM) and on to Vegas Junction, then on to Amarillo.

Oh, we took I-25 down to 87... 87 was a mess in New Mexico, construction everywhere, and they set the speed limit to 45 almost the whole way! (not like we obeyed). We also save time by cutting down 36 from abilene (which turns into 290). Do y'all take I-20 then I-45?

Oh, we took I-25 down to 87... 87 was a mess in New Mexico, construction everywhere, and they set the speed limit to 45 almost the whole way! (not like we obeyed). We also save time by cutting down 36 from abilene (which turns into 290). Do y'all take I-20 then I-45?

No the Fastest way I have found is 287 from Amarillo to 45, Sometimes I take 35 to Hwy 6 and down or. I do the Abilene to 36 sometimes to visit relatives in Abilene. I make the drive from Pinedale WY to Home back and forth once a month for work. I work for Shell Oil and Work two weeks on and two weeks off out of Pinedale. So I change the route up to keep from getting bored with it. Sometimes I swing all the way over to Salina KS and drop down through OK City, but not often usually just to avoid weather, because the scenery sux. I have about 10 different routes through the Rockies I really like. Next time I will be going down through Las Vegas (NV) over the Hoover Dam and down to Phoenix to visit my Son. Then I-10 back to TX.

It is rare to hear of anyone being in Vernal. That was part of my old sales territory around 1996-1999 as well as a bit of Wyoming. I went in the summer when here it was in the upper 90's (summer) and once I flew in to Vernal we went in to a Walmart came out and there was snow on the cars, this was mid summer mind you. Got old photos to prove it to my fellow Houstonians. I recall Vernal's airport was the size of a 7-Eleven store (then) there were fold out tables to screen luggage. You could only get to it by small charter plane then which I will never do again. Worse turbulance in my life, serious. I remember being abe to get Denver TV in the motel room. God's country it's true. I think I was the only non-Mormon for 100 miles too.

It is rare to hear of anyone being in Vernal. That was part of my old sales territory around 1996-1999 as well as a bit of Wyoming. I went in the summer when here it was in the upper 90's (summer) and once I flew in to Vernal we went in to a Walmart came out and there was snow on the cars, this was mid summer mind you. Got old photos to prove it to my fellow Houstonians. I recall Vernal's airport was the size of a 7-Eleven store (then) there were fold out tables to screen luggage. You could only get to it by small charter plane then which I will never do again. Worse turbulance in my life, serious. I remember being abe to get Denver TV in the motel room. God's country it's true. I think I was the only non-Mormon for 100 miles too.

That wouldn't have been Great Lakes Airlines? We call it the Vomit Comet or the Fright Flight. They are the reason I drive. Vernal, Rock Springs, and Pinedale, are all on the GLA connector out of Denver.

Archived