Adrian's Local Cafe At 1730 Jefferson St.

liammclaren

There used to be a Mexican restaurant called Adrian's downtown right next to the Pierce elevated. It seems like I just went downtown one day and it was gone. Anyone know what happened to it? What's there now?

bulldozed. that was the santa anita restaurant originally.

There used to be a Mexican restaurant called Adrian's downtown right next to the Pierce elevated. It seems like I just went downtown one day and it was gone. Anyone know what happened to it? What's there now?

Adrian used to have his restaurant in El Mercado Del Sol over on Navagation when it was first being renovated in the late 80's, early 90's. My friend was the security guard there while the renovation was going on. Adrians was really packed at lunchtime. Everyone was sad to see him move.

SantaAnita.jpg

My mom says this place was a real happening place in it's day! (See the cool cars) The whole gang would go eat there after a night of dancing at the nearby dance clubs Aragon, Rice Hotel etc.

My HS reunion (S.F. Austin) had a gathering there the day before the big dance/ball. It was really nice as we all were able to sit outside and reminisce of the good old days.

While working downtown we would all have lunch there too. We knew it's days were limited so we made a toast or two. :P

some of it yes.

That's what I thought. I wonder what happened to the plans for an office tower to be built there? I recall a full color article in "Zest" magazine a few years ago of renderings, etc. Guess those plans fell through?

That's another reason why I dont even bother getting excited of public announcements any more because they get the public all go, go, go then its nothing, nothing, nothing...... :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, my mom said the same thing, it was the place to go after dancing. She once told me that her '41 Ford station wagon had good pickup. You could drive down Main street with the doors open and "pick up" service men all night long. Shame on her!

Adrian used to have his restaurant in El Mercado Del Sol over on Navagation when it was first being renovated in the late 80's, early 90's. My friend was the security guard there while the renovation was going on. Adrians was really packed at lunchtime. Everyone was sad to see him move.

I had forgotten about the Adrians over there. It was quite the popular Mexican place for a while, like for a week or two.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll take the Dinner No. 1, the Chicken Enchiladas (order of 3), and 12 tamales to go for a grand total of $1.65

How in the world did Musicman get that, I mean...what!? :wacko::lol:

Must have a secret vault or time capsule hidden somewhere.

Now he has to treat all of Haif for teasing us with the menu.

How in the world did Musicman get that, I mean...what!? :wacko::lol:

Must have a secret vault or time capsule hidden somewhere.

Now he has to treat all of Haif for teasing us with the menu.

order of toasted tortillas on me. ;) as for where it was acquired. my parents had their wedding reception there in the 50's. she told a neighbor who mentioned she had an old menu. she sent us a copy several yrs ago and i just found it in several boxes of junk i had there.

order of toasted tortillas on me. ;) as for where it was acquired. my parents had their wedding reception there in the 50's. she told a neighbor who mentioned she had an old menu. she sent us a copy several yrs ago and i just found it in several boxes of junk i had there.

Family time capsules are the best. Today's souvenir's - tomorrows heirlooms. Move up to the head of the class now. :D

• The title was changed to Adrian's Downtown
  • The title was changed to Adrian's Local Cafe At 1730 Jefferson St.

Archived