Kitchen Cabinets Help

Just wondering, should I hire a carpenter to build cabinets for me, or would it just be cheaper for me to go to Home Depot and order them?

Any recommendations on good carpenters that can do that? Thanks!

What are your needs? Do you need a cabinet that is EXACTLY 33.75" wide with 5 drawers beside your stove, or can you make do with semi-custom or stock sizes? Do you have an old house that is not even close to being square?

I don't think you can beat prefab cabinets from HD Lowes or other sources on price...but if you want sizes/configurations not available from prefab companies then you'll have to do custom.

As far as quality....I would think it would depend on the carpenter. The prefab places can employ several full time people to do quality control.

Prefab cabinets are almost always laminates. If the cabinet gets damaged, which is easy to do in a well used kitchen, you are stairing at particle board underneath. Custom cabinets are usually plywood, either paint grade or stain grade, depending on the finish you want.

The price may appear better at Home Depot, but once labor is added, maybe not. For instance, I saw some pretty decent cabinets at Lowes for $155 per linear foot. My cabinet guy usually charges $225 per foot. However, I've been told by some friends who bought semi-customs that the labor can DOUBLE the price, making it more expensive than custom. And, if you have any non-standard or non-level fittings, they just cover it up with spacers...looks like crap.

Best route is to get a quote from Lowes and/or Home Depot, then get a couple of custom guys to quote you. If the custom guys are good, their product will blow away semi-custom, but may cost more. You are the judge of whether it is worth it.

Chances are the custom guys can come close to or even beat semi-custom prices. However, you have to figure in painting. My kitchen, which you have seen on here, cost $2100 to prep, sand and paint, including walls and staining the ceiling. Cabinets only may have been $1500.

PM me if you want my guy's number.

Just wondering, should I hire a carpenter to build cabinets for me, or would it just be cheaper for me to go to Home Depot and order them?

Any recommendations on good carpenters that can do that? Thanks!

Armstrong (flooring, cabinets, etc.) has a cabinet showroom just off of 290:

4315 Dacoma, Houston, TX

They've got low end to high end. They were very helpful and competively priced.

Armstrong (flooring, cabinets, etc.) has a cabinet showroom just off of 290:

4315 Dacoma, Houston, TX

They've got low end to high end. They were very helpful and competively priced.

Ikea cabinets are very decent for the money as well.

I bought Maple solid wood cabinets online from U.S. Building Products. Certainly much better than the builder grade pressed wood crap that was in my house. Good price but never having seen custom cabinets I certainly can't compare quality.

Thanks everyone (esp Red) for your help. After talking for two days straight about the subject, we decided to have a refacing company come out to do an estimate, since we're happy with the configuration and size; we mainly want new doors and euro hinges. So, we will see what they tell us. I told Matt if I didn't like what they have to say, we'll be getting all new cabinets (exercising my alpha wife/mom side, LOL).

Thanks everyone (esp Red) for your help. After talking for two days straight about the subject, we decided to have a refacing company come out to do an estimate, since we're happy with the configuration and size; we mainly want new doors and euro hinges. So, we will see what they tell us. I told Matt if I didn't like what they have to say, we'll be getting all new cabinets (exercising my alpha wife/mom side, LOL).

At least get a rough estimate from somebody for new cabinets...I've heard the refacing can be just as expensive, if not more expensive than all new cabinets.

Good Afternoon,

hope your day goes well !

Custom built cabinets from a carpernter can range from 6k - 12k depending on material , style, and size.

Materials can range from Oak, Maple, Birch, Walnut

Style can include wine rack, trash drawer , small desk etc , molding . . .

Custom cabinets tops and bottoms, painted or stained, built on site - will ususally run around 400-550 per linear foot. No countertops included. Orders from Home Depot and refacing will usually be close to that also (or more in some cases). The only way to find a good contractor is personal referal, IMO. And if they can start tomorrow, don't hire them. Any one who is really good is not going to be able to start that quickly, because they are too busy.

Archived