Two Dead In Galleria-Area Apartment Shooting

Yeah.. but this is North Galleria area where this happened... They are much more ghetto on that side of San Felipe :P

Not to doubt, but this is what Editor has in 1st freeze frame at beginning of topic.

People shot at Galleria area luxury apartments

"Luxury" makes me think high-rise expensive living ala Zsa Zsa Gabor and the like ...

not Queen Latifah type.

Not to doubt, but this is what Editor has in 1st freeze frame at beginning of topic.

People shot at Galleria area luxury apartments

"Luxury" makes me think high-rise expensive living ala Zsa Zsa Gabor and the like ...

not Queen Latifah type.

I don't get it. Queen Latifah probably has twice the cash Zsa Zsa Gabor has. why would her pad not be luxury?

Am I missing something or is this forum about architecture (and somewhat tangental topics)?

I think that the news hype machine has invaded each of us where every event is either 'breaking news' or the 'big story'. sigh.

My 2 cents: there are too many 24 news stations; news has become too much of a profit center for entertainment companies; and, journalists have injected themselves as part of the news.

Otherwise, may God bless the victims in another unfortunate incident as well as the family of the perpetrator. Additionally, may God give peace to those who are being driven to this end before they get there.

Am I missing something or is this forum about architecture (and somewhat tangental topics)?

I think that the news hype machine has invaded each of us where every event is either 'breaking news' or the 'big story'. sigh.

My 2 cents: there are too many 24 news stations; news has become too much of a profit center for entertainment companies; and, journalists have injected themselves as part of the news.

Otherwise, may God bless the victims in another unfortunate incident as well as the family of the perpetrator. Additionally, may God give peace to those who are being driven to this end before they get there.

While HAIF started as an architecture forum, it has grown to much more than that. Hurricane Katrina showed that HAIF can be a valuable resource for people trying to communicate and understand larger issues that affect the city. More recently, the thread about the shooting at NASA gave HAIF visitors unique insight into what was happening during the standoff because some people were posting here from inside the cordoned-off zone.

The Breaking News category isn't some invasion by "the media." It's just a way for something happening right now to be noticed and recognized. Like other threads that have occupied this space, once the news subsides it will be relocated to another part of the forum.

Still, thanks for taking an interest in HAIF, and for going from lurker to poster. I appreciate the input. I'll add this to the HAIFAQ section.

Editor ~ thank you for your explanation on the use of this category. I have been reading HAIF since 2004 although it seemed to take me a couple of years to register. ;)

I have understood the usage of the breaking news topic area. Also, I respect the usage for the NASA incident. I was just very surprised to see the usage of this topic on an apartment shooting. Perhaps this is more unique and unusual given what has happened at Va Tech and NASA on top of the fact that this occurred at a high-end apartment complex. Yet, there have been shootings at other apartment complexes without any breaking news notice. (Ch 13 just mentioned six people were killed violently over the past weekend.)

My question is how does one discern what is truly breaking news that warrants high profile attention? Clearly, this news is highly tragic to those involved (familied included). Yet, would today's tragedy draw as much attention if it wasn't for the other recent gun violence?

Again, thanks for the response and thank you for creating / sustaining this forum. It's unfortunately rather addictive. :D

While HAIF started as an architecture forum, it has grown to much more than that. Hurricane Katrina showed that HAIF can be a valuable resource for people trying to communicate and understand larger issues that affect the city. More recently, the thread about the shooting at NASA gave HAIF visitors unique insight into what was happening during the standoff because some people were posting here from inside the cordoned-off zone.

The Breaking News category isn't some invasion by "the media." It's just a way for something happening right now to be noticed and recognized. Like other threads that have occupied this space, once the news subsides it will be relocated to another part of the forum.

Still, thanks for taking an interest in HAIF, and for going from lurker to poster. I appreciate the input. I'll add this to the HAIFAQ section.

In this event it proved to be extremely helpful. What rarity that one of Haif members were in the exact vicinity of this tragedy? I know I would have been extremely greatful that a handful of almost unknown strangers from a forum came to my aid in such a stressfull moment. The only thing I could think of was to offer any kind of help. I urged musicman to keep contacting us if unable to get to family by no other means. Haif worked well. Hope it doesnt happen again. We never know. :)

My question is how does one discern what is truly breaking news that warrants high profile attention? Clearly, this news is highly tragic to those involved (familied included). Yet, would today's tragedy draw as much attention if it wasn't for the other recent gun violence?

Unfortunately, the topics that get the Breaking News treatment on HAIF are not picked based on sound journalistic criteria. Since HAIF is a hobby, not a profession for me, the number one factor is -- do I happen to be sitting in front of a computer when I hear about it. If yes, I can add it. If no, then I don't. Since I travel a lot this can be awkward. There was serious flooding in Houston back in January that went on for a couple of days before I was able to add it to the Breaking News section. Since I travel a lot, that's just an unfortunate circumstance I'm going to have to learn to live with for now. Some day I hope to make HAIF my primary responsibility, but today isn't that day.

While the statistic is true, it also doesn't tell the entire story.

2 Dead at NASA Murder/Suicide over a poor job review. Victims knew each other.

2 Dead on post Oak lane Murder/suicide over eviction. victims new each other.

2 Dead in an apartment Complex. Murder/suicide. Domestic Violence.

From here, i don't remember the details of the news stories, so forgive me if I'm a bit off.

2 were shot in an apparent road rage incident. Killer fled.

I don't know know the circumstances of the last two, but I think it was either in a robbery or some other form of random violence.

it's not a single murderer running loose shooting people, but rather a series of events that no amount of police patrolling could have prevented.

these deaths were all tragic. that is story enough for me. none of them had to happen.

these deaths were all tragic. that is story enough for me. none of them had to happen.

And the point being?

Are people supposed anticipate these issues?

Should our crime stats simply be a numbers game without telling the entire story and making the entire populace panic over a crime/murder spree?

It should all be taken into consideration as to how the crimes happened and the circumstances behind it. To just put out the final tally is socially irresponsible for the press to do without breaking down the statistics of the crime.

Edited by ricco67

And the point being?

Are people supposed anticipate these issues?

Should our crime stats simply be a numbers game without telling the entire story and making the entire populace panic over a crime/murder spree?

It should all be taken into consideration as to how the crimes happened and the circumstances behind it. To just put out the final tally is socially irresponsible for the press to do without breaking down the statistics of the crime.

Midtowncoog was just simply reporting what has been on every news station and in the chronicle. There have been some tragic deaths in the last few days. You were the one who said "it also doesn't tell the entire story." Im just trying to figure out what you know that every other news organization doesnt?

these deaths were very violent and were going to end up on the news. If you think otherwise because they didn't "tell the entire story" and "making the entire populace panic" then please expound. If you want to ignore the deaths, then that's ok too.

Midtowncoog was just simply reporting what has been on every news station and in the chronicle. There have been some tragic deaths in the last few days. You were the one who said "it also doesn't tell the entire story." Im just trying to figure out what you know that every other news organization doesnt?

these deaths were very violent and were going to end up on the news. If you think otherwise because they didn't "tell the entire story" and "making the entire populace panic" then please expound. If you want to ignore the deaths, then that's ok too.

I think I already explained how the news services are trying to hype up something that is more than what it actually is. People aren't just stats, every number has a story behind it. To lump them together is doing them a severe injustice.

While the latests deaths have been violent and tragic, I just hope it doesn't turn into a slam of the police department or a comparison on how bad Houston has gotten since the Katrina People have gotten here.

What I was getting at is that the Headline doesn't tell the entire story and that's what quite a few people some to concentrate on and view the rest of the story in a slightly slanted way.

While the statistic is true, it also doesn't tell the entire story.

2 Dead at NASA Murder/Suicide over a poor job review. Victims knew each other.

2 Dead on post Oak lane Murder/suicide over eviction. victims new each other.

2 Dead in an apartment Complex. Murder/suicide. Domestic Violence.

From here, i don't remember the details of the news stories, so forgive me if I'm a bit off.

2 were shot in an apparent road rage incident. Killer fled.

I don't know know the circumstances of the last two, but I think it was either in a robbery or some other form of random violence.

it's not a single murderer running loose shooting people, but rather a series of events that no amount of police patrolling could have prevented.

I think that your tally of events also might lead one to conclude that gun violence tends to be situational, and often Darwinian. If you don't want to get shot, then it would be good personal policy to 1) not associate with persons you consider to be imbalanced, 2) not piss people off that you don't know, 3) not piss off people that you do know, 4) don't work in high-risk jobs without knowing what you're getting into, getting hazard pay, and taking safety precautions, and perhaps most importantly, 5) know when to get yourself checked out by a good clinical psychologist.

I just wanted to take a moment and ask if everyone would please say a prayer for the son of the woman who was killed in this incident. This poor guy just lost his father last year in a tragic way also, so I can only imagine what he must be going through with another tragedy so close. Even if you don't pray, just wish for his well being please. Thanks.

• The title was changed to Two Dead In Galleria-Area Apartment Shooting