Clear Lake Neighborhoods

We are downsizing, kids going to public school - becoming people who just refuse to live off their savings any more. Long story - lost my jo 2 days after we were married - had sole one hose that I owned 100% - was paying cash for the other - long story short - had to take out a mortgage, still have a lot of equity - but we have to join the real world not (no, not on MTV).

We want to send our 9th grader to Clear Lake High. Our 8th grader has several options, that probably won't affect the move.

And so- we have picked these neighborhoods:

Brook Forest (in our dreams since we have to stay in the $150's and down)

Meadowgreen

Oakbrook West - prefereably section 4

Middlebrook

Camino South (last choice)

I know there aren't that many Clear Lakians out there, but if anyone knows where I could find information out about these neighborhoods, I would certainly appreciate it.

Now comes clearing clutter, garage sales, showing the house, finding a new house - AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Actually, we just moved to CL 1.5 years ago. We wenth through several years of deciding which part of CL we liked, weighing all the options, etc. etc. We used to live by Hobby. The area we we live in now is still within the Houston city limits, very close to Ellington Field and close to El Camino Real. Also, the wife and I have both been working in the CL area for 21 years, so I know the area pretty well. Anyways, we are almost right next to one of the areas you are looking at (Oakbrook West). Feel free to PM me and I can tell you what I know. It's just my 2 centavos, but it's worth something at least.

Edited by 2112

I grew up in CL (Brook Forest... my parents still live there), and work there now (NASA).

I don't know anything about the real estate market or prices, but there always seems to be a healthy number of houses for sale in Brook Forest & Middlebrook. Since most of the homes are older, and haven't been remodeled, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something below $150K...? But maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure you know this, but Brook Forest & Middlebrook are right next to each other - I think Middlebrook is slightly older, and the houses are slightly smaller(?), so maybe cheaper? Both were built in the 60s. DR Horton was the builder for Brook Forest (not sure about MB), and my parents have been happy with their house, although it's starting to show it's age now. :) They are currently remodeling it. BF & MB are also surrounded on all sides by newer developements (Bay Oaks, Bay Forest, Pine Brook, Brookwood), which I think helps the value of the BF/MB homes.

I also consider Meadowgreen a nice neighborhood, the houses are all well kept.

Camino South - I think of it as being kind of run down... I don't think they have the same deed restrictions that BF, MB, & Meadowgreen do. I have a friend that bought a house there a couple years ago and has had his car broken into (the first night he moved in!) and his house broken into just recently.

I really don't know that much about Oakbrook West...

Hope that helps... not sure where to go to find info, other than google... :)

i have the exact same story as htowngirl surprisingly, expect i grew up in bay forest. everything she said is right on.

i would rank the neighborhoods you mentioned in the same order as you did. avoid camino south if you can.

you may also want to look into Bay Glen and Oakbrook West. plenty of homes on sale in the 150's according to HAR.

Bay Glen is a nice neighborhood, newer then Brook Forest, but not as pricey as the Bay Forest or the other newer neighborhoods.

Growing up, my family moved from Camino South to Oakbrook West to Brook Forest. I'd agree with Htowngirl and skwatra's summaries. Try and stay away from Camino South - Brook Forest would be the best of what you listed. The Brook Forest streets closest to Middlebrook might be less pricey than those near Brook Forest Dr. HAR.com lists a house on Heatherdale in the $140's, so perhaps there's some hope. Good luck with it all.

i have the exact same story as htowngirl surprisingly, expect i grew up in bay forest. everything she said is right on.

i would rank the neighborhoods you mentioned in the same order as you did. avoid camino south if you can.

you may also want to look into Bay Glen and Oakbrook West. plenty of homes on sale in the 150's according to HAR.

Bay Glen is a nice neighborhood, newer then Brook Forest, but not as pricey as the Bay Forest or the other newer neighborhoods.

Texas Monthly magazine advertized a new condominium building in Clear Lake. It looked like it was just as nice as the Mosaic.