I Give In I'm Not A Suburbanite

Hi,

Been living in Pearland for about 3 months now. I came from a densely populated city from the West Coast and my relatives and I made a plan to buy a house in Pearland. I would live in the house, take care of it and also prepare it for other relatives who want to rent in the property as well. They changed their minds, no problem.

I like that Pearland is growing (I saw the forum on the lifestyle center) but as a single person this place is not for me.

I honestly feel out of place being in a family area. The real estate agent touted Pearland as a great place to live, but she was expecting that I would find a wife, raise some kids. Not ready for that. I'm 23 years old, and unlike the other twentysomethings out there with many kids I want to concentrate on career and SELF primarily.

Yeah, I could've went ahead and bought a condo somewhere in Houston, but I just don't have that kind of money yet. Since I'm not a Texas native I will also have the skip the option of living on U of H's campus.

I have heard so many bad stories about Houston's apartments from my cousins (all sort of things, and not related to Katrina newcomers) and even my agent suggested that it would be better to buy a home than rent.

My question is: Will there be new condo developments in Pearland itself? Or, is anyone familiar with low-crime districts in Houston that have affordable condos?

I hope you guys understand where I'm coming from. If I was someone else I'd probably settle with my wife and 3 kids. But not today.

Thanks

BTW, I have nothing bad against Pearland itself. Just realized that it's not for me.

Hi,

Been living in Pearland for about 3 months now. I came from a densely populated city from the West Coast and my relatives and I made a plan to buy a house in Pearland. I would live in the house, take care of it and also prepare it for other relatives who want to rent in the property as well. They changed their minds, no problem.

I like that Pearland is growing (I saw the forum on the lifestyle center) but as a single person this place is not for me.

I honestly feel out of place being in a family area. The real estate agent touted Pearland as a great place to live, but she was expecting that I would find a wife, raise some kids. Not ready for that. I'm 23 years old, and unlike the other twentysomethings out there with many kids I want to concentrate on career and SELF primarily.

Yeah, I could've went ahead and bought a condo somewhere in Houston, but I just don't have that kind of money yet. Since I'm not a Texas native I will also have the skip the option of living on U of H's campus.

I have heard so many bad stories about Houston's apartments from my cousins (all sort of things, and not related to Katrina newcomers) and even my agent suggested that it would be better to buy a home than rent.

My question is: Will there be new condo developments in Pearland itself? Or, is anyone familiar with low-crime districts in Houston that have affordable condos?

I hope you guys understand where I'm coming from. If I was someone else I'd probably settle with my wife and 3 kids. But not today.

Thanks

BTW, I have nothing bad against Pearland itself. Just realized that it's not for me.

But you also have to remember, your agent had a financial interest in your buying a home, and to even think she would suggest you would rent would have been laughable.

There are a number of things you can do to help out your current situation if you wish to move into the city;

one is to go ahead and lease out your home for more than your mortgage is and rent something in the city. This will allow you to maintain a home and make sure it's taken care of.

One of my clients has this arrangement and leases it out to a co-worker and it has worked out for several years.

Just be sure to hire a lawyer to draw up a contract that would be fair to the both of you. (maybe we should get Red on Retainer? :) )

My question is: Or, is anyone familiar with low-crime districts in Houston that have affordable condos?

Thanks

I bought a 1BR condo for 95,000 10 years ago, at 2100 Tanglewilde, I was very pleased with it.... Their are some quality condos along Briar Forest just east of Gessner... You just need to do some more searching, their are thousand of affordable condos in nice areas....

Absolutely. Check out the area bounded by Fannin, OST, SH 288, and the 610 Loop. That's where I bought back when I was going to UH (and I'm still there). Crime is low, usually vehicle-related and usually on the street rather than inside the gated complexes. Personal crime is exceptionally rare. Prices are still very reasonable, but are growing by virtue of the location; great access to the Med. Center but also is in good proximity to UH and TSU for those people that don't want to live in a slummy area but also can't afford Midtown or Museum District. I bought my 550sf 1/1 for $42k, and its probably worth about $55k today.

Edited by TheNiche

I bought a 1BR condo for 95,000 10 years ago, at 2100 Tanglewilde, I was very pleased with it.... Their are some quality condos along Briar Forest just east of Gessner... You just need to do some more searching, their are thousand of affordable condos in nice areas....

Yeah, and watch out for the gun shots while your at it, there is a reason why they are so cheap.

I have to agree here. There are tons of condos around that are closer to all the cool stuff, within 10 minutes of downtown, etc. Of course, to be affordable, you might be looking at 700 sq. ft. But I'm sure increased property values will still command a little profit when you deicde to move - it's better than renting. I moved farther out to the burbs because I work out there, but I find myself in the city almost every weekend. So I dont buy the argument that you have to be right smack in the middle of everything to enjoy it. Unless that's where your work is, then by all means!! What I keep telling my wife is I want to ge a weekend getta-way warehouse condo somewhere around downtown, even though I can make the weekend drive in 25 minutes. Still working on that dream, though...

If I were you, I'd forget about buying and rent in midtown somewhere near all the bars. A lot of tail to chase in the area and you can get a very nice place for no more than a grand a month, and can easily spend a couple hundred less if you were so inclined. Ownership is definitely not for everyone and you fit the exact demographic for rent over buy.

I live in Pearland now and really love it but at your age and situation I would have never considered the suburbs.

You might also consider the Clear Lake area. Lots of great restaurants, many young professionals focusing on career and dating, but enough diversity to make it interesting whatever your age and current interests.

Who is your real estate agent? Because, well... twenty three is kinda young to expect someone to "get married".

Single in Pearland. I feel your pain. I lived near there briefly myself and spent all my time driving into Houston.

What do you consider affordable? I think there are some decent condo bargains in nice areas inside the loop, especially on older units or apartment conversions.

Might as well move in closer to Houston. Like now. Pearland is overrated. You will find the same riff raff there as any where else. I always hear that Pearland is a state-of-the-art place to live but wait until a big storm comes. It is in low lying area. End of story. Leave. :lol:

Might as well move in closer to Houston. Like now. Pearland is overrated. You will find the same riff raff there as any where else. I always hear that Pearland is a state-of-the-art place to live but wait until a big storm comes. It is in low lying area. End of story. Leave. :lol:

It is generally low, but it isn't that low. Even a Cat 5 wouldn't put storm surge in Alvin (although it'd get pretty close).

And as far as flooding goes, that's why all new subdivisions have these massive detention ponds. Takes the developable land at least out of the 100-year floodplain and frequently out of the 500-year.

It is generally low, but it isn't that low. Even a Cat 5 wouldn't put storm surge in Alvin (although it'd get pretty close).

And as far as flooding goes, that's why all new subdivisions have these massive detention ponds. Takes the developable land at least out of the 100-year floodplain and frequently out of the 500-year.

Very true, Niche. In fact, from a flooding perspective, I'd much rather live in a new development in Pearland where streets have been designed to carry the 100-yr runoff to a detention pond, and where the lots have been filled above the 100-yr flood elevation of said pond, than live in the East End, where the storm sewers don't have capacity for a 2-yr storm, where the path of the 100-yr runoff was never considered, and which is bisected by the downstream ends of Brays and Sims Bayous. Not to say that all of the East End will flood, but there's a better chance it'll happen there than in a new development in Pearland.

Of course, there are many older parts of Pearland that do have severe flooding problems...due to the same issues that the East End has. Older ditch and storm sewer systems that were built before the effects of major storms were much of a consideration. No detention basins, so no fill to elevate the lots...most were built before there was such a thing as a floodplain map.

So yeah, there are other reasons I wouldn't live in "new" Pearland, but flooding is not one of them.

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

Guest danax
Very true, Niche. In fact, from a flooding perspective, I'd much rather live in a new development in Pearland where streets have been designed to carry the 100-yr runoff to a detention pond, and where the lots have been filled above the 100-yr flood elevation of said pond, than live in the East End, where the storm sewers don't have capacity for a 2-yr storm, where the path of the 100-yr runoff was never considered, and which is bisected by the downstream ends of Brays and Sims Bayous. Not to say that all of the East End will flood, but there's a better chance it'll happen there than in a new development in Pearland.

Of course, there are many older parts of Pearland that do have severe flooding problems...due to the same issues that the East End has. Older ditch and storm sewer systems that were built before the effects of major storms were much of a consideration. No detention basins, so no fill to elevate the lots...most were built before there was such a thing as a floodplain map.

I have to defend the area since I'm guessing that 95% of the thousands of houses over here have never in their long history flooded, despite having both of the "big boy" bayous. With the work they're doing on the Brays, there should be no worries at all. The Sims.....another story, but that's all improving with the recent projects in progress.

Another option, Samsoner, would be to explore our many old inner-loop suburbs, east, south and north mainly, where old homes can still be found for under $100K. You could decide to fix it up and stay or just ride an appreciation wave for a few years then scalp a profit and roll that into something you really want.

...., than live in the East End, where the storm sewers don't have capacity for a 2-yr storm, where the path of the 100-yr runoff was never considered, and which is bisected by the downstream ends of Brays and Sims Bayous. Not to say that all of the East End will flood, but there's a better chance it'll happen there than in a new development in Pearland.

in 69 yrs my house hasn't flooded. because many of the houses are pier and beam, we're actually better off since elevation is higher that most foundations.

Let's try to go back about 5 months ago when a sudden rain storm came in to the Pearland area and the water rose up so fast that it took about 2 days or more for all of it to finally filter out. I happended to be driving in the area of Telephone/Mykawa and Beltway 8 areas and heard the news mention that traffic was being diverted because of high water and to expect big delays. The traffic jam was a nightmare getting in and out of Pearland. I was on the edge of the old and the new Pearland as I know I had to short cut through brand-new subdivisions to get out. High water ponding was everywhere no joke. I know some people that live on both sides of 288 near 518 and they promise they havent had a problem, YET. That could be out of embarassment because they secretly may have felt duped by realtors?

Now this was just a sudden rain storm that came by that day, so you have to ask yourself well add high winds, fast rising water and panic. This place is simply too flat folks. Do you really think developers are going to divulge this information?

Majority of current residents have never experienced a real hurricane, too young or are from other parts of Texas, so they are clueless. Below is an excerpt of last experiences:

A stubborn line of storms that had hovered over those areas for six days finally moved east and northeast on Saturday. Sunday's storms affected the already flooded Houston suburbs of Friendswood and Pearland, where small-stream flood advisories and flash flood warnings were issued.

"We have urban and small-stream flood advisories for Fort Bend, Brazoria and Galveston counties," Moreland said.

Friendswood and Pearland emergency officials said Sunday afternoon that waters had receded.

The Pearland Fire Department had to retrieve a Jet Ski from a tree last week, but no other rescues had to be made because of flooding. "The water went down a little bit and came up a little bit," said Friendswood firefighter John Myers. "Along Clear Creek it's knee-deep, but it's receding."

Let's try to go back about 5 months ago when a sudden rain storm came in to the Pearland area and the water rose up so fast that it took about 2 days or more for all of it to finally filter out. I happended to be driving in the area of Telephone/Mykawa and Beltway 8 areas and heard the news mention that traffic was being diverted because of high water and to expect big delays. The traffic jam was a nightmare getting in and out of Pearland. I was on the edge of the old and the new Pearland as I know I had to short cut through brand-new subdivisions to get out. High water ponding was everywhere no joke. I know some people that live on both sides of 288 near 518 and they promise they havent had a problem, YET. That could be out of embarassment because they secretly may have felt duped by realtors?

Now this was just a sudden rain storm that came by that day, so you have to ask yourself well add high winds, fast rising water and panic. This place is simply too flat folks. Do you really think developers are going to divulge this information?

Street flooding is supposed to happen. Engineers design it that way to prevent flooding of homes. The hydrology along the south belt is a little odd, but most of it isn't developed yet, so nobody cares except for commuters...and they can put up with being late to work for one day per year (if that often). But when development comes to these areas, the State and County require by law that improvements be built out of the 100-year floodplain (and like I said, much is also out of the 500-year). New development is safe from flooding under all but the most freakish occurances of nature.

Edited by TheNiche

I live in Shadow Creek and haven't had a problem with flooding. I've only lived there two years though. We had a couple of serious rain storms last year and the detention ponds filled up, but no problems getting in our out of the neighborhood on Shadow Creek Parkway/McHard Rd. When I spoke to the SCR developers they basically said the in the event of a flood the detention ponds should fill first and then the streets, so yes if we have a serious flood we can expect street flooding, but hopefully it would not affect homes. I think when we had the detention ponds fill up we had about over a foot of rain in about 10 hours. I think 518, might have had some flood issues on the South side of the neighborhood. Road construction has already started there so hopefully that will go away in the future. In fact, the only problems I had when it rained was getting into Houston because 288 floods at 610.

• The title was changed to I Give In I'm Not A Suburbanite