How Do I Find Which High School In The Houston Area Is The Best

I don't know how much faith you have in the Houston Press, but here is its ranking of the best public high schools in the Houston area:

1. Michael E. DeBakey High School for Health Professions (Houston ISD)

2. The High School for the Performing and Visual Arts (Houston ISD)

3. YES College Preparatory School (state charter)

4. Memorial High School (Spring Branch ISD)

5. Clements High School (Fort Bend ISD)

6. Aldine High School (Aldine ISD)

7. Friendswood High School (Friendswood ISD)

8. Eastwood Academy High School (Houston ISD)

9. James E. Taylor High School (Katy ISD)

10. Kingwood High School (Humble ISD)

http://www.houstonpress.com/2006-03-02/new...in-houston/full

http://www.houstonpress.com/2006-02-23/new...c-high-schools/

Would help if it were in my current end of town (Clear Lake, etc.) - but I want to know which public high school is considered the VERY BEST in the Houston area.

From what I hear, 7 Lakes HS in Katy is numero uno!

Check out the website. It is like on the major forefront of innovation. Don't quote me but a good source mentioned it. Good luck.

Well, the first question to ask is: Where will you work?

Picking a good community to live in depends on where you will work.

Here is example no. 1: People who live in central Houston typically prefer to be zoned to Lamar HS and Bellaire HS - Several HISD magnets (i.e. HSPVA, DeBakey, Carnegie) are popular with central Houston residents.

Here is example no. 2: People who move into Spring Branch ISD typically prefer Memorial HS and Stratford HS.

Well, the first question to ask is: Where will you work?

Picking a good community to live in depends on where you will work.

Here is example no. 1: People who live in central Houston typically prefer to be zoned to Lamar HS and Bellaire HS - Several HISD magnets (i.e. HSPVA, DeBakey, Carnegie) are popular with central Houston residents.

Here is example no. 2: People who move into Spring Branch ISD typically prefer Memorial HS and Stratford HS.

I work downtown (right now, closer to Clear Lake) and my husband works in Westchase. But we have lived in Clear Lake for 14 years. Kid's would just be devestated if they had to change houses (we do, financially), change schools, change churches, and change areas of town.

I work downtown (right now, closer to Clear Lake) and my husband works in Westchase. But we have lived in Clear Lake for 14 years. Kid's would just be devestated if they had to change houses (we do, financially), change schools, change churches, and change areas of town.

I believe that Clear Creek ISD is viewed as uniformly well-performing.

Are you zoned to Clear Lake HS in Houston, Clear Brook HS in Friendswood, Clear Creek HS in League City? or (future) Clear Springs HS in League City?

Also be sure to check www.greatschools.net to see how the schools perform.

Edited by VicMan

Um, yeah, that list from the Houston Press is quite suspect.

Aldine High School????? :unsure:

There are quite a few schools from AISD that somehow made their list, not sure what criteria they were using but either AISD is cooking their books or they're getting some serious 'extra' credit.

Edited by mrfootball

Um, yeah, that list from the Houston Press is quite suspect.

Aldine High School????? :unsure:

There are quite a few schools from AISD that somehow made their list, not sure what criteria they were using but either AISD is cooking their books or they're getting some serious 'extra' credit.

Or maybe it's because it's a Hispanic majority school and you have something against that. Sure what it sounds like to me given some of your past posts and that wealth of "evidence" you posted to bolster your case. Did I miss it or did you use an invisible font?

The Chronicle today has an article on the best public high schools in the area.

Here is its top tier list, created by the nonprofit group Children at Risk:

1. HSPVA (Houston)

2. YES College Prep (Charter)

3. Cinco Ranch (Katy)

4. Debakey H.S. for Health Professions (Houston)

5. Memorial High School (Spring Branch)

6. Clements High School (Ft Bend)

7. Taylor High School (Katy)

8. Friendswood High School (Friendswood)

9. Clear Lake High School (Clear Creek)

10. Stephen F. Austin High School (Ft Bend)

The article online doesn't have the list -- or at least I can't find it (it's early :) )

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4678053.html

Why does the school have to be the BEST, or even VERY BEST? I assume this is for your kids and not some sort of vicarious bragging right, that you have your kids in the VERY BEST school in Houston. Now, if this is being done in your children's best interest, yet they would be "devestated if they must move from their house, church and school, why would you even be considering it? What benefit is the VERY BEST school in Houston to a devestated child?

Wouldn't a well-adjusted child at a good school be preferable to a "devestated" one at the VERY BEST school? And, just what is it about Clear Creek and Friendswood ISDs that makes them so bad anyway? Thousands of kids graduate from those school districts every year who are none the worse for wear and tear. Could it be that your pre-conceived notion of public schools is the problem, rather than the schools themselves?

Why does the school have to be the BEST, or even VERY BEST? I assume this is for your kids and not some sort of vicarious bragging right, that you have your kids in the VERY BEST school in Houston. Now, if this is being done in your children's best interest, yet they would be "devestated if they must move from their house, church and school, why would you even be considering it? What benefit is the VERY BEST school in Houston to a devestated child?

Wouldn't a well-adjusted child at a good school be preferable to a "devestated" one at the VERY BEST school? And, just what is it about Clear Creek and Friendswood ISDs that makes them so bad anyway? Thousands of kids graduate from those school districts every year who are none the worse for wear and tear. Could it be that your pre-conceived notion of public schools is the problem, rather than the schools themselves?

Finances. Can't afford to live where we do. Can't afford private school. We live a monthly deficit and the savings is just about gone. There. Does that help?

But we want to stay close to where their friends are and some of their friends will go to Clear Lake. Where we live now it would be Clear Brook. Not a good school.

All of my nieces and nephews (6 of them) have gone to private high schools except one. She went to HSPVA. She is a succesful actress on Broadway while the other five are working as a spec writer/checker at an architectual firm, baristars at Starbucks and the last two are still in private school. One of those is going to be quite successful and the other will probably end up being a biker chick. If you have a choice in your area, pick the best and if your kids are already bright, they'll do fine. If any of your kids are artistic, apply to HSPVA and see what happens. I understand your $$ issues from our discussions so the best I can give you is to hang in there and look for what's best for your kids-not what some article says is the best.

B)

All of my nieces and nephews (6 of them) have gone to private high schools except one. She went to HSPVA. She is a succesful actress on Broadway while the other five are working as a spec writer/checker at an architectual firm, baristars at Starbucks and the last two are still in private school. One of those is going to be quite successful and the other will probably end up being a biker chick. If you have a choice in your area, pick the best and if your kids are already bright, they'll do fine. If any of your kids are artistic, apply to HSPVA and see what happens. I understand your $$ issues from our discussions so the best I can give you is to hang in there and look for what's best for your kids-not what some article says is the best.

i am glad someone has the answers............

Also remember that a school that may work for Child A may not work out for Child B. There is a reason why HISD has varying types of schools. If one does not like the large comprehensive schools, he or she can settle for various flavors of magnet schools.

bellaire/lamar h.s.

I know a teacher and a client's kid there: While the school's kids have a leg up socially and in the networking scene, the kids are horrors towards the teachers and the drug problem is out of countrol in Lamar and the snob factor is amazingly high at the Bellaire.

there's a separate insert with a complete list in the chron.

Thanks for another excellent contribution to a thread.

Finances. Can't afford to live where we do. Can't afford private school. We live a monthly deficit and the savings is just about gone. There. Does that help?

But we want to stay close to where their friends are and some of their friends will go to Clear Lake. Where we live now it would be Clear Brook. Not a good school.

i am glad someone has the answers............

I think Pachanga and Red (damn you, as usual!) have brought up some excellent points and good advice.

It's not the school necessarily, but your participation in school/child. I agree that HSPVA is an excellent school, period. Plus when they move to their new school it's going to be just that much better. It would also help to be realistic to be aware of your kid's potential: NMainguy's post in how kids don't always go down the right path in spite of education. I see that alot as well.

While this may sound harsh, perhaps it would be best to live in a place that would not produce as much financial stresses that will eventually take it's toll (whether or not you believe it, your kids are amazingly bright at detecting it).

We are all in the mindset that we DESERVE the best; we DESERVE the BEST home in the BEST neighborhood in the BEST part of town where the kids get the BEST education and DESERVE the BEST cars.

Sorry, reality has a tendency to be a bit different. adjust the lifestyle according to what you can afford and adapt and prioritize. It's not as difficult as you think and you will find a fewer gray hairs in the future.

Before you slam me on my statement, read my home page, it'll give you a bit of insight on why I know some things.

Edited by ricco67

I know a teacher and a client's kid there: While the school's kids have a leg up socially and in the networking scene, the kids are horrors towards the teachers and the drug problem is out of countrol in Lamar and the snob factor is amazingly high at the Bellaire.

I wouldn't be surprised about snobbery (both schools have very wealthy students) - Perhaps the drug problem at Lamar is worse if one is in the regular classes as opposed to the IB. My sister never characterized drugs at Lamar as a major problem - She does remember when some girls were arrested for smoking in a locker room.

I wouldn't be surprised about snobbery (both schools have very wealthy students) - Perhaps the drug problem at Lamar is worse if one is in the regular classes as opposed to the IB. My sister never characterized drugs at Lamar as a major problem - She does remember when some girls were arrested for smoking in a locker room.

What quite a few people don't realize is how rampant it is at the "better" schools of how much the drug/bullying/snobbery/gang problem is. My daughter attended a school in Tomball and recently moved to a school in the woodlands, she stated that the drug problem is so bad that she had wished she went to one of the inner city schools.

Having heard some of the horror stories as of late, it's incredible on how teachers are able to do their job properly.

I don't think you like me very much.

I don't dislike you at all. I just get the impression that you believe that private schools are somehow inherently better than public schools, and I do not believe that to be true. I have attended both private and public schools and did not find the private schools to be better.

There are numerous public schools that provide a quality education to kids that have a supportive home environment, which it sounds like one exists in your home. There is no shame in putting your kids in a public school. In fact, from what I have seen, the overwhelming pampering of kids today seems to leave them ill-prepared for life in the real world. I don't think you should put your kids in an inner city gang ridden school to "toughen them up", but neither do I think giving them everything on a silver platter does much good either.

It seems to me, the solution is relatively simple. If Clear Brook is not a good school, move to a reasonably priced neighborhood in Clear Lake or Friendswood that is zoned to a good (not necessarily BEST or VERY BEST) school. Ditch the private school. Explain it to your kids. They WILL understand. Explain that you are not moving far, so that they will still be close to friends, as you know that is important to them.

Most important of all, don't listen to so-called "friends" or other experts on schools and education. In the last 10 years or so, there has been a drastic increase in "designer label" living. Everything must be the right product, or right subdivision or right school. It is largely hogwash. Too many people are trying to project a perfect life that does not exist. I know it doesn't exist, because I see their finances in my bankruptcy practice. It is stunning to see the lengths some people will go to to appear to be keeping up with the Jones. And worse, it extends to the schools. Don't listen to it, and don't participate in it. Your kids will do well if the HOME environment is conducive to success, regardless of the name on the school.

I wish you the best of luck in getting through this. I know that there are many tough decisions ahead. However, my family moved from North Carolina to Houston between my junior and senior year, and I did alright. I know your kids (and you) will too.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. My dad is very, very careful with his finances, and he made sure that I knew that I need to save.

I have never spent much of my allowance money. I have about $2,000 in the bank and I plan to increase my nest egg.

I refuse to go into debt.

Anyway, I have been to both public and private schools, and I liked them all. It really helps to have a good home environment.

My prom date for last year, who attended my school for one year, had a teenage pregnancy and a relationship with a much older boyfriend along with friction with her mom. She ended up transferring to Yates and later dropping out. It shows how one's outside life determines his or her future.

I don't dislike you at all. I just get the impression that you believe that private schools are somehow inherently better than public schools, and I do not believe that to be true. I have attended both private and public schools and did not find the private schools to be better.

There are numerous public schools that provide a quality education to kids that have a supportive home environment, which it sounds like one exists in your home. There is no shame in putting your kids in a public school. In fact, from what I have seen, the overwhelming pampering of kids today seems to leave them ill-prepared for life in the real world. I don't think you should put your kids in an inner city gang ridden school to "toughen them up", but neither do I think giving them everything on a silver platter does much good either.

It seems to me, the solution is relatively simple. If Clear Brook is not a good school, move to a reasonably priced neighborhood in Clear Lake or Friendswood that is zoned to a good (not necessarily BEST or VERY BEST) school. Ditch the private school. Explain it to your kids. They WILL understand. Explain that you are not moving far, so that they will still be close to friends, as you know that is important to them.

Most important of all, don't listen to so-called "friends" or other experts on schools and education. In the last 10 years or so, there has been a drastic increase in "designer label" living. Everything must be the right product, or right subdivision or right school. It is largely hogwash. Too many people are trying to project a perfect life that does not exist. I know it doesn't exist, because I see their finances in my bankruptcy practice. It is stunning to see the lengths some people will go to to appear to be keeping up with the Jones. And worse, it extends to the schools. Don't listen to it, and don't participate in it. Your kids will do well if the HOME environment is conducive to success, regardless of the name on the school.

I wish you the best of luck in getting through this. I know that there are many tough decisions ahead. However, my family moved from North Carolina to Houston between my junior and senior year, and I did alright. I know your kids (and you) will too.

Edited by VicMan