Condominiums

northbeaumont

I would like to live in a condominium. No lawn to mow. I found a couple of those buildings in Houston. One is in Clear Creek. One is called the Mosaic near Hermann Park. The Mosaic's condos start at $164,000. If I win that $66 millon lottery tonight I plan to buy one. Does anyone on this forum live in a condominium? Would any of you like to live in one?

I would like to live in a condominium. No lawn to mow. I found a couple of those buildings in Houston. One is in Clear Creek. One is called the Mosaic near Hermann Park. The Mosaic's condos start at $164,000. If I win that $66 millon lottery tonight I plan to buy one. Does anyone on this forum live in a condominium? Would any of you like to live in one?

I dont live in one, but i am looking around for one for my son. He will be 20 soon ;) The one i have been focussing on at present is 2016 Main.

Yes. I own a unit at the Beaconsfield.

For your son? Dang, will you be my daddy?

Ha :lol:

I demand a lot from my boys and to date they have met and often times exceeded my demands. He has been asking for an apartment. The condo thing is my idea. I think its best to own than to rent or lease. So this i will make happen for him ;)

Ha :lol:

I demand a lot from my boys and to date they have met and often times exceeded my demands. He has been asking for an apartment. The condo thing is my idea. I think its best to own than to rent or lease. So this i will make happen for him ;)

The website of the Mosaic has some photos taken from inside one of the condos. Out the window you have a good view of the city. It even had a counter/bar.

The website of the Mosaic has some photos taken from inside one of the condos. Out the window you have a good view of the city. It even had a counter/bar.

I really like this development. Unfotunately it is priced at more than i am willing to spend at this time. I have a ceiling of around $115k. Anymore than that and the wife will banish me to the couch for atleast a week or 2 :lol::lol:

I really like this development. Unfotunately it is priced at more than i am willing to spend at this time. I have a ceiling of around $115k. Anymore than that and the wife will banish me to the couch for atleast a week or 2 :lol::lol:

Or, you could crash at your son's new place for the two weeks. I'm sure he would be more than happy to oblige. ;)

Or, you could crash at your son's new place for the two weeks. I'm sure he would be more than happy to oblige. ;)

I dont know. I think the idea is to get away from mom and dad, not having me around at his place :lol::lol:

I will say again, the renderings of Mosaic are really impressive, just more than im willing to spend :(

I live in one right now just south of the Texas Medical Center. The mortgage, insurance, and taxes account for about $400/mo., and the fees account for $175/mo. Altogether, it is easy, secure, and appreciating in value. Even so, I'm strongly considering downsizing as soon as I can afford to build out a room for myself in the addition of the house in Eastwood that'd keep my capitalized costs of housing even lower while I own that place. I haven't decided whether I'll sell the condo or lease it out, but I'm leaning toward the latter for at least the next couple of years.

I dont know. I think the idea is to get away from mom and dad, not having me around at his place :lol::lol:

I will say again, the renderings of Mosaic are really impressive, just more than im willing to spend :(

Mosaic is not a good value at $350-$400 psf, if that makes a difference to you. You might try the Bayou lofts. They are worlds nicer than 2016 Main, and not that much more expensive on a psf basis when you account for lower maintenance fees and the city tax exemption. The units are generally under 1000sf and a few are listed for less than 200K.

Fine looking place.. how do you like it ?

Thanks. I love it so far. It's an amazing building with a very interesting history. It's very quirky. Lots of character, as well as a great deal of functional obsolescence. It feels as though it has no business being in Houston. I really enjoy the contrast. I bought one of the few units that have yet to undergo six figure renovations, and I'm still in the process of remodeling, but I think it will be worth the effort.

post-1513-1175114208.jpg

post-1513-1175114214.jpg

post-1513-1175114220.jpg

post-1513-1175114317.jpg

post-1513-1175114377.jpg

Mosaic is not a good value at $350-$400 psf, if that makes a difference to you. You might try the Bayou lofts. They are worlds nicer than 2016 Main, and not that much more expensive on a psf basis when you account for lower maintenance fees and the city tax exemption. The units are generally under 1000sf and a few are listed for less than 200K.

The Bayou Lofts are nice, but there isnt anything at or near the $115k mark :(

2016 Mian has lower priced units that can be updated, a nice project for him, which is well within my budget at present. I like the fact that the METRO rail is right next to the building. My concern is the safety issues. Not worried about that for him, hes a big boy, he can handle it ;) Im worried about safety for the wife when she undoubtedly visits him 3 or 4 times a week :D

I have been reading comments about the area from the posters here in regard to safety, and some of them are a bit disturbing. :(

As far as sq-footage....i was looking at between 500-600/650 sqft. Hes just a student ;) If he needs anymore than that, he can keep his happy ass at home. He pretty much has the entire second floor to himself and the finished area of the attic. I think the realtors call that a Texas basement ;) ;)

If you win that $66 million tonight, you'll be able to buy the whole building.

Not a chance :lol::lol:

You might want to check out this one, it's only $159,000.

http://www.har.com/2479969

The maintenance fees at Bayou are $.45 as opposed to $.80-ish at 2016. You get free electricity at 2016, but Bayou has geothermal cooling, which should keep your bill well under $100 per month. Also, Bayou is exempt for city taxes which equates to a 20% savings on your tax bill. All things considered, your actual cost of ownership may be lower at Bayou.

You might want to check out this one, it's only $159,000.

http://www.har.com/2479969

The maintenance fees at Bayou are $.45 as opposed to $.80-ish at 2016. You get free electricity at 2016, but Bayou has geothermal cooling, which should keep your bill well under $100 per month. Also, Bayou is exempt for city taxes which equates to a 20% savings on your tax bill. All things considered, your actual cost of ownership may be lower at Bayou.

I did look at this one. I cannot tell if it has guest parking or not. I know that 2016 does. Does this building have guest parking?

The price is still a bit high for me :(

Im looking for just my soon to be 20 yr old at the moment, but i have 2 sons. What i get for one, the other is usually not too far behind, so gotta stay in budget ;)

I did look at this one. I cannot tell if it has guest parking or not. I know that 2016 does. Does this building have guest parking?

The price is still a bit high for me :(

Im looking for just my soon to be 20 yr old at the moment, but i have 2 sons. What i get for one, the other is usually not too far behind, so gotta stay in budget ;)

There is no guest parking at Bayou, which makes guest parking an issue on Friday and Saturday. In fact, I don't think any of the historical district lofts have guest parking. I just moved from Bayou to the Beaconsfield, which is very close to 2016. Ample street parking is definitely a benefit of the south side (e.g. 2016 side) of downtown. Don't let people scare you about crime. It's primarily of the nuisance variety and not the random violence type. In other words, not the kind of crime that you really need to worry about if you've spent any time in an urban area.

There is no guest parking at Bayou, which makes guest parking an issue on Friday and Saturday. In fact, I don't think any of the historical district lofts have guest parking. I just moved from Bayou to the Beaconsfield, which is very close to 2016. Ample street parking is definitely a benefit of the south side (e.g. 2016 side) of downtown. Don't let people scare you about crime. It's primarily of the nuisance variety and not the random violence type. In other words, not the kind of crime that you really need to worry about if you've spent any time in an urban area.

I didnt think there was any guest parking, but i wasnt sure. Thanks for the info. The lack of guest parking and price will 86 this building for me/him.

The crime around 2016, from what i gather from many posters here, is due large in part to the bus station. I have no concerns for my boys safety, he can handle himself. Im more concerned about the wife visiting him and having to deal with some silly, drunk or cracked out bastard harrassing her. I will drive around the area this Fri. and Sat. to get a better perspective.

People who live in condos that have no condos still have guests, right? They must. So how do they normally cope with it?

People who live in condos that have no condos still have guests, right? They must. So how do they normally cope with it?

Well, there is metered street parking all over downtown, which provides an easy solution unless it's Friday or Saturday night when the club patrons are in town. If I'm having a guest over on the weekend I usually park my car on the street before the clubs start bumping and then use my reserved space for my guest. A minor inconvenience, but it works.

Well, there is metered street parking all over downtown, which provides an easy solution unless it's Friday or Saturday night when the club patrons are in town. If I'm having a guest over on the weekend I usually park my car on the street before the clubs start bumping and then use my reserved space for my guest. A minor inconvenience, but it works.

That's what I figured. Just wondering if there was some magical parking garage that would show up > :)

And I was LOL when I reread my comment..."People who live in condos that have no condos"...hmmm, I'm not sure what I was thinking, but thanks for getting by my incompetency.

Where'd you get that price range? I thought they were closer to 275-350 psf price range

har.com shows eight listings

1. $866,900 - 1859 sf = $466 psf

2. $825,900 - 1909 sf = $432 psf

3. $629,900 - 1532 sf = $411 psf

4. $544,000 - 1469 sf = $370 psf

5. $431,000 - 1184 sf = $364 psf

6. $295,900 - 846 sf = $349 psf

7. $274,900 - 748 sf = $367 psf

8. $263,900 - 767 sf = $344 psf

har.com shows eight listings

1. $866,900 - 1859 sf = $466 psf

2. $825,900 - 1909 sf = $432 psf

3. $629,900 - 1532 sf = $411 psf

4. $544,000 - 1469 sf = $370 psf

5. $431,000 - 1184 sf = $364 psf

6. $295,900 - 846 sf = $349 psf

7. $274,900 - 748 sf = $367 psf

8. $263,900 - 767 sf = $344 psf

Wow. I did notice, though, that all of those listings are on floors 20 and up, so they would be significantly more expensive per square foot than those on floors 19 and below.

Wow. I did notice, though, that all of those listings are on floors 20 and up, so they would be significantly more expensive per square foot than those on floors 19 and below.

I suspect the upper floors might command a 10%-20% premium at most. Even assuming a 20% discount on the lower floors, this is still way too much if you care about resale value.

Archived