North Forest ISD Must Go

North Forest and Aldine were predominately white but changed alot as we hit the 1990s..however, blacks have remained in NFISD while they've moved on towards Spring on I-45 and AISD is now mostly hispanic...

As funny as it sounds, Kashmere Gardens was HISD's first integrated school and we see how that area has changed...those residents opted to move north and develop Lakewood, etc. which led to Smiley and other schools. When blacks moved out there it led to the creation of Forest Brook as alot lived off Tidwell at the time.

With no tax base, the district always had trouble and with alot of churches in the area, it didn't help either as none of them paid taxes. I don't know the impact Lakewood had then but they didn't do as much as they could to help the area before they bolted.

Driving in the area now you see alot of abandoned schools, alot of vacant land and property that needs to be renovated. There's alot of space in the area and it's relatively close to downtown..

however, old school politics with the school board hasn't helped and the lack of decent housing has drawn families back. This district pays in the $40s to first-year teachers now so it's competitive but with Humble ISD as the big monster next door with affordable housing and fancy facilities nearby, it'll be hard to compete.

it's similar to how Missouri City developed at the South Side of HISD's expense....Dick Dowling was an all-white middle school at one time but turned into a rough HISD school over the years while most folks moved near Willowridge and helped the school take off in FBISD..now, they left Ridge and are jammed packed in Fresno

Mock my words.....watch New Caney ISD in the near future.....everything is going that way and freeway improvements are making it attractive...people like the 1-school towns now with the "small-town charm"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
North Forest and Aldine were predominately white but changed alot as we hit the 1990s..however, blacks have remained in NFISD while they've moved on towards Spring on I-45 and AISD is now mostly hispanic...

North Forest changed earlier...

Forest Brook was already almost all Black by 1989: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...674/school.aspx

Same with Smiley: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...684/school.aspx

Aldine's shift continued during the 1990s.

Aldine was slightly less than half White in 1988: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...057/school.aspx

Nimitz was slightly more than half White in 1988: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...063/school.aspx

Eisenhower was slightly less than half White in 1988: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...066/school.aspx

Macarthur was already almost half Hispanic in 1988: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...076/school.aspx

They have no TMC or anything even approximating its capacity for job-creation, should not expect a return of subprime lending, and are even further off-the-radar to most people than is south Houston.

As pointed by hcbu, the southern section of the NFISD area is bordering the 610 Loop, so it is fairly close to Downtown. The far northern part is somewhat close to Greenspoint and close to Bush Airport.

I would agree, though, that NFISD at the moment does not have a major break (like the Intermodal Terminal in the former WHISD).

i was at humble when the 1989 NFISD meltdown occurred.

i remember signs going up on the doors of the school... something like:

"Only students living in the Humble School District may attend Humble High School"

We're talking about KIDS. They didn't screw up the schools. They can't help it that their parents have no money and no businesses are in their neighborhood to fund the schools and help make the schools better. Adults seem to forget about kids - except for their own kids, and even then, they sometimes don't think straight.

I agree, NFISD does need be closed, and those kids do need to go somewhere else. Galena Park and Humble, would make the most sense. Of course, they wouldn't want it to happen.

We're talking about KIDS. They didn't screw up the schools. They can't help it that their parents have no money and no businesses are in their neighborhood to fund the schools and help make the schools better. Adults seem to forget about kids - except for their own kids, and even then, they sometimes don't think straight.

Kids don't start attending schools with empty minds, ready to be molded into model citizens by school district employees. They come with baggage...and kids coming from poor households, obviously not capable enough not to be poor and unlikely to be capable enough to raise a child well, can put pressure on good districts even in relatively few numbers. Too many basically change the tone from that of a learning environment to that of a prison...not that most schools aren't already teetering on the edge to begin with.

And it isn't that I'm saying that the poor kids can help having been born into poor households, just that they are what they are.

Alot of the kids of NFISD teachers attend(ed) Humble High.....I had a cousin who coached in NFISD but her son played for Humble...another cuz went to Humble in the early 90s and is enjoying a lucrative NFL career....but all of them have NFISD ties...

You take the stable families away from Humble ISD and put them back in NFISD the district changes....

the QB at Texas A&M who played for Humble, Jerrod Johnson, mother teaches at Smiley.

Your best example of a minority situation running smoothly was Willowridge in the 80s to mid 90s.....most of the school was African American but the kids of first generation college graduates....the school pretty much took advantage of FBISD's tax base and put out top-notch products athletically and academically. Intentional rezoning and new schools popping up less than 3 miles away has hurt the school tremendously and younger families who went to the school have resurfaced in Fresno (Teal Run) and are at Hightower...however, that situation Ridge had has never been duplicated and won't as the enollment has dropped tremendously.

Kids don't start attending schools with empty minds, ready to be molded into model citizens by school district employees. They come with baggage...and kids coming from poor households, obviously not capable enough not to be poor and unlikely to be capable enough to raise a child well, can put pressure on good districts even in relatively few numbers. Too many basically change the tone from that of a learning environment to that of a prison...not that most schools aren't already teetering on the edge to begin with.

And it isn't that I'm saying that the poor kids can help having been born into poor households, just that they are what they are.

Do you know many poor kids, or is this a generalization of yours? Ever teach poor kids? Know anybody who has taught poor kids (not just babysat while looking for a job in a 'rich' neighborohood)?

I know, for a fact, that kids - whether rich or poor - like to learn. Of course, if a kid gets eight or nine years of not learning, well, the next four years aren't going to go so well, either. So, the high schools may suffer a bit at first, but a poor first grader is as likely to "change the tone from that of a learning environment to that of a prison" as is a rich first grader.

Carry on.

the QB at Texas A&M who played for Humble, Jerrod Johnson, mother teaches at Smiley.

His dad was my WR coach... now a principal at Humble.

Do you know many poor kids, or is this a generalization of yours? Ever teach poor kids? Know anybody who has taught poor kids (not just babysat while looking for a job in a 'rich' neighborohood)?

I know, for a fact, that kids - whether rich or poor - like to learn. Of course, if a kid gets eight or nine years of not learning, well, the next four years aren't going to go so well, either. So, the high schools may suffer a bit at first, but a poor first grader is as likely to "change the tone from that of a learning environment to that of a prison" as is a rich first grader.

I call BS on you. I spent 10 years in McAllen public schools and am in an excellent position to make direct comparisons between elementary schools in the hill country and the rio grande valley because I've been there and done that. Most of the kids in the elementary school in McAllen weren't very receptive to learning; after that, I got segregated into the smart/motivated/preppy classrooms and for the most part didn't have to deal with the knuckleheads. Additionally, my mom was employed for 15 years at MISD. Also, a friend of mine went to an elementary school in Houston's 3rd Ward for several years; she got beat up and her personal items stolen because she had a white grandmother.

Neither of us were in environments conducive to learning as elementary school kids, and it seems pretty clear that the kids were influenced primarily by the household environment in which they were raised. Good parents tend to produce good kids (not that there aren't exceptions).

TheNiche, when I go back to the USA, I plan to get the movie 1 8 7, which apparently accurately depicts inner city schools: http://www.rjgeib.com/biography/inner-city-blues/reply2.html .

I still maintain that merging is a good idea as it allows for students stuck in NFISD schools who wish to not attend any schools weighted by non-school appreciating communities to transfer elsewhere.

By the way, Richard Geib has a great website explaining why many inner city schools fail: http://www.rjgeib.com/biography/inner-city...s/innerblu.html

I call BS on you. I spent 10 years in McAllen public schools and am in an excellent position to make direct comparisons between elementary schools in the hill country and the rio grande valley because I've been there and done that. Most of the kids in the elementary school in McAllen weren't very receptive to learning; after that, I got segregated into the smart/motivated/preppy classrooms and for the most part didn't have to deal with the knuckleheads. Additionally, my mom was employed for 15 years at MISD. Also, a friend of mine went to an elementary school in Houston's 3rd Ward for several years; she got beat up and her personal items stolen because she had a white grandmother.

Neither of us were in environments conducive to learning as elementary school kids, and it seems pretty clear that the kids were influenced primarily by the household environment in which they were raised. Good parents tend to produce good kids (not that there aren't exceptions).

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing will be done with NFISD because the people who live there are poor. Poor people don't pay enough taxes or make enough contributions to get things done. NFISD had problems when I was in school - 20 years ago. I remember Humble High putting up signs because NFISD students started coming to HHS. (I think the district lost accreditation or something...) Here we are 20 years later and...

I read this: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/ald...ws/4658955.html

After you guys read this Chronicle article, you will probably have the same feelings I have.

North Forest ISD MUST GO!

Yes, it might be good for most of the suburbs to be HISD. It's hard to keep up with Cy-Fair, Galena Park, and all of the other ISDs.

HCBU, I wonder what will happen if/when NFISD is absorbed by HISD.

Will this mean that a group of former renters will want low price neighborhoods with public transportation access? Since HISD has a better reputation than NFISD, I wonder if that would happen.

you would be surprised who's doing the renting as lot of the owners are the ones who live in suburban areas...

HISD would be a natural fit but the district is cut off by Aldine also and Sheldon to the East....however, Humble and Spring ISD is the new "hot sport" for alot of folks as its the next best area for the kids

If you drive near Humble, they have bus access and they've done a great job of masking an area called Bordersville that's in the same situation as alot of North Forest areas...right across from Humble High is an area that's worst than NFISD

however, NFISD isn't as bad as we think....there are alot of nice homes out there but they need to invest in facilities, find an alternative revenue base among other things..

problem in that area is your biggest buildings with the ability to pay taxes are churches which are tax-exempt....imagine if they could get some of that Lakewood money before they moved...different situation..

North Forest used to be a white district...lets not forget that....they are partly the reason things are the way it is now with that "running away" mentality when things get tough......when they leave an area, they usually take away tax base with it in terms of businesses, sit on the land and that creates what we have now

that same situation has occured in South Park, Northline (which has come back due to location) and in some areas of Hiram Clarke...

how far are people willing to run just to escape reality?

Hbcu, since the buildings in NFISD seem to be fine, it looks like all HISD needs to do (if it takes NFISD) is to rearrange the attendance boundaries and maybe close some schools.

After that is done, HISD should ask home builders (KB Homes, Beazer, Lennar, etc.) to build in the NFISD area so that NFISD can take people from gentrified neighborhoods.

there was an issue a few years back with a new development as the lot sizes were an issue..KB and friends create high-density living and they want space out there...

it's not that easy....does HISD have a plan in place for the kids? With open enrollment in HISD, who will enforce the kids from going all over the place? Lets say your in high school and 200 Forest Brook kids come on down and enroll, will you be comfortable or issues will arise?

they need tax revenue but there's not much back there unfortunately...

there was an issue a few years back with a new development as the lot sizes were an issue..KB and friends create high-density living and they want space out there...

it's not that easy....does HISD have a plan in place for the kids? With open enrollment in HISD, who will enforce the kids from going all over the place? Lets say your in high school and 200 Forest Brook kids come on down and enroll, will you be comfortable or issues will arise?

they need tax revenue but there's not much back there unfortunately...

I do not know if HISD has any plans.

What magnet schools do is they set a number of slots available to outside residents and/or establish admissions criteria.

For a school likely to accept a large number of NFISD magnet kids, like Barbara Jordan, the school may welcome extra students. With "zoned" schools there may be more territorial conflicts (while magnets are mixed and do not have as many "neighborhood" issues)

wouldn't be much of an issue now..Forest Brook is down to 947 students and down the street from CE King..

why not send them there? Just because its near HISD...CE King is nearby and can accept alot of kids also

If the directions are searched on a map, Kashmere seems to be closer than Cyril E. King.

By driving distances to zoned high schools:

*Forest Brook to Kashmere: 2.9 miles

*Forest Brook to Sam Houston: 4.1 miles

*Forest Brook to Cyril E. King: 5.2 miles

*Forest Brook to MacArthur: 6.0 miles

And as for Forest Brook to Barbara Jordan: 5.1 miles

As for Smiley:

*Smiley to Cyril E. King: 4.5 miles

*Smiley to Kashmere: 6.2 miles

Unlike with WHISD, though, it seems like HISD does not have to close the NFISD campuses. The WHISD campuses were said to be in TERRIBLE shape (failing fire code violations, trees growing through stadium bleachers).

• 3 months later...

North Forest ISD is merging Smiley and Forest Brook High Schools - We do not know which one will be kept and which one will close.

ALSO - NFISD is closing Tidwell ES and merging it into Hilliard.

See: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/5622823.html

and: http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...d.5a05f2b6.html

Archived