North Forest ISD Must Go

How can we turn around North Forest ISD?

North Forest ISD has had a lot of problems over the years.. I know that some of the area is in unincorporated Harris County and some of it in Houston..

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
North Forest ISD is in trouble and it was also in trouble back in the 80's. However, why burden HISD with these problems. Let it stay out there by itself.

Plumber:

1. I feel that the boundaries and demographics of NFISD inherently hurt chances of the district performing: The boundaries contain very few major businesses (and therefore tax base) and scores of disadvantaged people - Public school systems work best by combining rich, middle class, and poor people (I.E. HISD) so that all citizens get basic support.

2. HISD, the largest school district in the state of TX, can most easily absorb NFISD.

3. NFISD is bleeding students, so NFISD would be an increasingly lesser burden

4. Most of NFISD is in the city of Houston, and I believe that all Houstonians should be in one school district

North Forest ISD is in trouble and it was also in trouble back in the 80's. However, why burden HISD with these problems. Let it stay out there by itself.

There needs to be help because these children are some of the future faces of the working/tax paying citizens of America. Turning them loose onto society without the proper education is nothing short of disasterous for this city, state and nation.

• 1 month later...
There needs to be help because these children are some of the future faces of the working/tax paying citizens of America. Turning them loose onto society without the proper education is nothing short of disasterous for this city, state and nation.

Why can't, Sheldon, Aldine, Galena Park or Humble take over NFISD or split it up among themselves? Why burden HISD with problems that they didn't create? Let some of the other suburban ISD's step up to the plate. Let's not be one sided.

Why can't, Sheldon, Aldine, Galena Park or Humble take over NFISD or split it up among themselves? Why burden HISD with problems that they didn't create? Let some of the other suburban ISD's step up to the plate. Let's not be one sided.

Money.HISD has a larger balance sheet than any of the ones you listed. HISD is better equipped to handle the students from NFISD and it has happened before. Back in the early 1990's, HISD absorbed students from NFISD when NFISD stood on the brink of total financial collapse.

4. Most of NFISD is in the city of Houston, and I believe that all Houstonians should be in one school district

Ugh. Then that would mean Pasadena and Clear Creek schools would have to migrate to sloppy ole HISD.

Bad idea jeans.

Plumber:

1. I feel that the boundaries and demographics of NFISD inherently hurt chances of the district performing: The boundaries contain very few major businesses (and therefore tax base) and scores of disadvantaged people - Public school systems work best by combining rich, middle class, and poor people (I.E. HISD) so that all citizens get basic support.

2. HISD, the largest school district in the state of TX, can most easily absorb NFISD.

3. NFISD is bleeding students, so NFISD would be an increasingly lesser burden

I'm not sure how you think that these issues will be addressed by an HISD/NFISD merger.

1. The locations of the individual schools within NFISD inherently hurt chances of the district performing, but if HISD takes over, the locations of schools and thus the cultures inherent to them will not change because the demographics will remain the same. Also, HISD would have to contend with the same ratio of students to tax base as NFISD does, and the result would be a financial burden on HISD. Surely, you can see how they might be reluctant to screw their existing constituents.

2. "Absorbing" NFISD isn't the same as absorbing a highly-mobile refugee population like they had to do in late 2005. They don't just get distributed throughout the entirety of the rest of the district. The same old problems apply to the same old schools.

4. Why?

Money.HISD has a larger balance sheet than any of the ones you listed. HISD is better equipped to handle the students from NFISD and it has happened before. Back in the early 1990's, HISD absorbed students from NFISD when NFISD stood on the brink of total financial collapse.

This is news to me! Do you have exact dates? I would love to find a Chronicle article about this!

Ugh. Then that would mean Pasadena and Clear Creek schools would have to migrate to sloppy ole HISD.

Bad idea jeans.

Erm, not all Pasadena ISD and Clear Creek ISD schools - Just those within the Houston city limits.

I would establish an administrative region combining the Houston portions of PISD and CCISD and call it the "Clear Lake Region" - consisting of Dobie HS (currently PISD), Clear Creek HS (currently CCISD), and a new high school that would be built to handle Houston residents living in the attendance boundaries of South Houston HS and Pasadena Memorial HS.

1. Well, if HISD improves the funding of the schools and provides a more stable leadership to the schools, the schools may get a little better (It would be unlikely to turn them into academic bastions!) - But that may be enough for the district to be able to convince immigrant families and people pushed out of gentrifying urban areas to move to the North Forest area. If many immigrants from El Salvador, Mexico, Honduras, Peru, etc. move into the NFISD area, the makeup would gradually change.

Also, I read about Wilmer-Hutchins ISD (a small, mostly African-American ISD dismantled in 2005 and given to Dallas ISD) and I remember someone complaining about how bilingual students did not receive enough attention in the district, or something like that. And then the fact that DISD was mostly Hispanic and that DISD would be able to provide better services to Spanish-speaking families was mentioned. I forget the location of the source, and I will see if I can find it.

2. In a way, demographics would prove to be a problem for the same schools. But, remember that kids have the option of transferring to other schools. If a kid qualifies for a magnet program, she gets free bus transportation. Therefore there may be some (or many) NFISD kids in classrooms of magnet schools.

4. I want all of Houston to be in one school district in order to give a large body of students in order to diversify types of schools and course offerings given to city children, and also to make the greatest number of schools in more well-to-do areas and magnet schools accessible to kids living in not-so-great neighborhoods (As in the magnet schools and magnet programs in other schools select applications out of a body submitted to the schools).

Also, while I want various sections of the city to tailor their schools to their own needs (And also retain local control to varying degrees, depending on the sections of the city and of the insular cities), I also feel that residents and officials in various parts of Houston ought to cooperate with citywide services and special programs (i.e. seeing officials from, say, Kingwood, River Oaks, Alief, Clear Lake, Third Ward, Oak Forest, North Shore, Inwood Forest, etc. could cooperate on a program to bring books to low income households with children enrolled in district schools). I.E. I want to unify the city in terms of its education programs instead of having the city divided into different areas only with concern for themselves.

Now, I understand this is unlikely due to political climates and, in some cases, some suburban populations that do not wish to join larger school districts. So, the proposal above would be "nice."

But, I say a proposal to merge NFISD into HISD is "absolutely necessary."

I'm not sure how you think that these issues will be addressed by an HISD/NFISD merger.

1. The locations of the individual schools within NFISD inherently hurt chances of the district performing, but if HISD takes over, the locations of schools and thus the cultures inherent to them will not change because the demographics will remain the same. Also, HISD would have to contend with the same ratio of students to tax base as NFISD does, and the result would be a financial burden on HISD. Surely, you can see how they might be reluctant to screw their existing constituents.

2. "Absorbing" NFISD isn't the same as absorbing a highly-mobile refugee population like they had to do in late 2005. They don't just get distributed throughout the entirety of the rest of the district. The same old problems apply to the same old schools.

4. Why?

1. Well, if HISD improves the funding of the schools and provides a more stable leadership to the schools, the schools may get a little better (It would be unlikely to turn them into academic bastions!) - But that may be enough for the district to be able to convince immigrant families and people pushed out of gentrifying urban areas to move to the North Forest area. If many immigrants from El Salvador, Mexico, Honduras, Peru, etc. move into the NFISD area, the makeup would gradually change.

Also, I read about Wilmer-Hutchins ISD (a small, mostly African-American ISD dismantled in 2005 and given to Dallas ISD) and I remember someone complaining about how bilingual students did not receive enough attention in the district, or something like that. And then the fact that DISD was mostly Hispanic and that DISD would be able to provide better services to Spanish-speaking families was mentioned. I forget the location of the source, and I will see if I can find it.

2. In a way, demographics would prove to be a problem for the same schools. But, remember that kids have the option of transferring to other schools. If a kid qualifies for a magnet program, she gets free bus transportation. Therefore there may be some (or many) NFISD kids in classrooms of magnet schools.

4. I want all of Houston to be in one school district in order to give a large body of students in order to diversify types of schools and course offerings given to city children, and also to make the greatest number of schools in more well-to-do areas and magnet schools accessible to kids living in not-so-great neighborhoods (As in the magnet schools and magnet programs in other schools select applications out of a body submitted to the schools).

Also, while I want various sections of the city to tailor their schools to their own needs (And also retain local control to varying degrees, depending on the sections of the city and of the insular cities), I also feel that residents and officials in various parts of Houston ought to cooperate with citywide services and special programs (i.e. seeing officials from, say, Kingwood, River Oaks, Alief, Clear Lake, Third Ward, Oak Forest, North Shore, Inwood Forest, etc. could cooperate on a program to bring books to low income households with children enrolled in district schools). I.E. I want to unify the city in terms of its education programs instead of having the city divided into different areas only with concern for themselves.

Now, I understand this is unlikely due to political climates and, in some cases, some suburban populations that do not wish to join larger school districts. So, the proposal above would be "nice."

But, I say a proposal to merge NFISD into HISD is "absolutely necessary."

So you'll have the very best kids or the kids of the most involved parents getting shipped out to better-performing HISD schools...how does that solve the problems associated with neighborhood schools? Seems like it'd make them worse.

Also, I don't see any sense in trying to configure HISD in such a way that it unites a municipality whose borders are essentially arbitrary. It'd be a nice and fuzzy idea to have a single school district that captures a highly diverse population (which it already does), but I revert back to my statement from earlier that the effectiveness of a school is most frequently determined by its demographics, and that (except for magnet schools or a very few that are highly sought after) an integrated school district does not equate to integrated ethnicities or cultures.

Likewise, bringing books to poor kids is another touchy feely kind of thing, but can you make them read? ...and does it necessitate that the districts be merged?

1. Yes, in a sense that is already happening in HISD. I thought about the scenario of some neighborhood schools and decided to read about them.

Richard Geib, who taught at LAUSD's Berendo Middle School, wrote about his experience here: http://www.rjgeib.com/biography/inner-city...s/innerblu.html

This particular statement stands out, especially growing up in a household where I was read to regularly: "and I suspect this does not change so very much in later grades. If this be true, it tokens ill for so many Latino immigrant students who grow up in households barren of books and regular readers."

After reading it, I thought that maybe the best way to improve neighborhood schools is to try to provoke cultural change in the neighborhoods. A change in culture, though, would take a long time to occur, if it is successful.

But, what I am saying is that I want to see all sections of the city form a union that I could characterize as a confederation and coalition that allows the city to act as an educational unit in the same sense as the city's fire and police services.

Also, I feel that, until civil environments may be established at some inner city schools, the best an urban school district can do is to try to establish some choice schools so that district residents have a chance to attend different schools.

As for magnets, there are articles about HISD's magnet program and the effects on low-income neighborhood schools:

* This one in http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2005_3900502

* http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/specia...06/4677688.html

""What bothers me about this is that both of my girls have not experienced a neighborhood school ... Their friends live in other parts of town ... It is all so disjointed."" - In a way, her statement is true, as friends in magnets often do live in different neighborhoods.

I've never really had a truly "neighborhood" school as, after going to a private school in Spring Branch, I then went to River Oaks ES, T. H. Rogers MS, and my soon-to-be alma mater (high school, yes, I am graduating tommorrow) - all public magnet schools.

So you'll have the very best kids or the kids of the most involved parents getting shipped out to better-performing HISD schools...how does that solve the problems associated with neighborhood schools? Seems like it'd make them worse.

Also, I don't see any sense in trying to configure HISD in such a way that it unites a municipality whose borders are essentially arbitrary. It'd be a nice and fuzzy idea to have a single school district that captures a highly diverse population (which it already does), but I revert back to my statement from earlier that the effectiveness of a school is most frequently determined by its demographics, and that (except for magnet schools or a very few that are highly sought after) an integrated school district does not equate to integrated ethnicities or cultures.

Likewise, bringing books to poor kids is another touchy feely kind of thing, but can you make them read? ...and does it necessitate that the districts be merged?

This is news to me! Do you have exact dates? I would love to find a Chronicle article about this!

Erm, not all Pasadena ISD and Clear Creek ISD schools - Just those within the Houston city limits.

I would establish an administrative region combining the Houston portions of PISD and CCISD and call it the "Clear Lake Region" - consisting of Dobie HS (currently PISD), Clear Creek HS (currently CCISD), and a new high school that would be built to handle Houston residents living in the attendance boundaries of South Houston HS and Pasadena Memorial HS.

Hey Vicky,

Clear Creek High School is in League City (Galveston County), but Clear Lake High School is within Houston city limits (Harris County), while Clear Brook High School is in the Harris County portion of Friendswood city limits, which is mostly in Galveston County. CCISD covers territory in both Harris & Galveston counties, which is the result of a merger of the four common school districts of Webster, League City, Kemah and Seabrook back in the late 40's, but oddly CCISD is a member, actually the largest member, of the Galveston County Central Appraisal District. Confused enough?

Oh, I meant to say "Clear Lake," not "Clear Creek" - DOH!

Anyway, I meant to say that Clear Lake would, in my proposal, go to Houston ISD, while Clear Creek would remain with CCISD. For some pieces of the CLHS zone such as Seabrook/El Lago/Taylor Lake Village, I would have a new HS built in Seabrook ("Clear Bay HS") to serve them, as they would remain in CCISD.

Under my proposal, Clear Lake HS would serve, more or less, Clear Lake City (including the tiny bit in the Pasadena city limits - Yes, this would be the exception to the general "city limits" rule that I have in mind). I would also add a space sciences program to Clear Lake HS. Yes, Madison HS in Houston ISD has one, but CLHS is more convenient to east-siders and southeast-siders, and people may prefer the academics of CLHS over those of MHS.

Also, yes, it was strange how Webster, Kemah, and Seabrook used to have their own high schools (apparently).

Back on topic - James Simpson, who used to be the principal of my high school, was reinstated as superintendent of NFISD by the state of TX.

Hey Vicky,

Clear Creek High School is in League City (Galveston County), but Clear Lake High School is within Houston city limits (Harris County), while Clear Brook High School is in the Harris County portion of Friendswood city limits, which is mostly in Galveston County. CCISD covers territory in both Harris & Galveston counties, which is the result of a merger of the four common school districts of Webster, League City, Kemah and Seabrook back in the late 40's, but oddly CCISD is a member, actually the largest member, of the Galveston County Central Appraisal District. Confused enough?

1. Yes, in a sense that is already happening in HISD. I thought about the scenario of some neighborhood schools and decided to read about them.

Richard Geib, who taught at LAUSD's Berendo Middle School, wrote about his experience here: http://www.rjgeib.com/biography/inner-city...s/innerblu.html

This particular statement stands out, especially growing up in a household where I was read to regularly: "and I suspect this does not change so very much in later grades. If this be true, it tokens ill for so many Latino immigrant students who grow up in households barren of books and regular readers."

After reading it, I thought that maybe the best way to improve neighborhood schools is to try to provoke cultural change in the neighborhoods. A change in culture, though, would take a long time to occur, if it is successful.

But, what I am saying is that I want to see all sections of the city form a union that I could characterize as a confederation and coalition that allows the city to act as an educational unit in the same sense as the city's fire and police services.

Also, I feel that, until civil environments may be established at some inner city schools, the best an urban school district can do is to try to establish some choice schools so that district residents have a chance to attend different schools.

I'm sorry, but I just don't any benefit in trying to match up various political boundaries. I also don't see a lot of sense in the argument that they should be merged so that books can be donated to poor families.

In response to that statement about cultural change, I'd like to warn you that social engineering is fraught with unintended consequences. People don't always do what you want them to do. Its worse than trying to herd cats.

I'm sorry, but I just don't any benefit in trying to match up various political boundaries. I also don't see a lot of sense in the argument that they should be merged so that books can be donated to poor families.

In response to that statement about cultural change, I'd like to warn you that social engineering is fraught with unintended consequences. People don't always do what you want them to do. Its worse than trying to herd cats.

Regarding no. 2, that's precisely the reason why I do not foresee any change any time soon in attitudes in schools like Berendo Middle in Los Angeles. In other words, the reason why I support school of choice is because this seems like the only reasonable, somewhat short-termish solution that could benefit school districts.

Now, one problem with North Forest ISD is that the kids stuck in NFISD schools, aside from charters, have no free alternatives to their zoned schools (and W. G. Smiley, which I do not believe is very prestigious). People zoned to Kashmere High School in Houston ISD may at least apply to various schools in other parts of Houston. The other MAJOR problem is that the boards seem to be incompetent; I would think that the board members would have completed their "homework" (to see if the move to fire Dr. Simpson would have worked) before trying to fire him: Simpson was reinstated by the state: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/4824175.html - In short, HISD may have some political issues and bureaucrats who receive too much money, but NFISD seems to be stuck in a total mess!

And, "so that books can be donated to poor families" wasn't the primary reason why I proposed this (I cited this as an example of a city-wide effort that could be made by a school district) - The primary reason is to expand eligibility and volume to expand public school choice in the city; in other words, a person living in any neighborhood ought to be able to at least apply to attend Clear Lake, Kingwood, Bellaire, Lamar, Kingwood Park, Stratford, HSPVA, or any other public high school in the city.

Anyway, I understand that bringing all of Houston into one district is a bit of a long shot. Yet, I feel that bringing NFISD into HISD is crucial.

Let's look at some articles about NFISD:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...ay/4799167.html

"Almost by definition, those boys are at risk, and no one argues that they're already well-served. References to the area's public school system, North Forest ISD, are often preceded by the word "troubled.""

And this one: http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2007_4315917

""We look at North Forest," he said, "and these kids have no choice: They either go to Forest Brook or they go to Smiley, and to have both of those schools be Tier Three schools, that's not where they need to be.""

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2007_4311563 - This one talks about annexation

"THE story has been the same for years in this small, poor, mostly black school district in northeast Houston: Financial problems, shoddy recordkeeping and low test scores prompt sanctions from the state.

Employees get indicted on criminal charges. The school board fires the superintendent. The district might improve some but then falls again.

In the past decade, enrollment in the North Forest Independent School District has dropped 35 percent to fewer than 9,000 students. Today, eight of its 11 schools are rated academically unacceptable, and its average SAT score - 748 out of 1600 - is nearly the worst in Texas."

And this article compares HISD's damages and NFISD's damages from Tropical Storm Allison back in 2001

"The Houston Independent School District estimates $3 million to $5 million damage to about half of its nearly 300 schools."

"The North Forest ISD, which does not have flood insurance, suffered an estimated $8 million damage, officials said."

Why, NFISD was in hot water back in the late 1980s! http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1988_591510

And this article compares HISD's damages and NFISD's damages from Tropical Storm Allison back in 2001

"The Houston Independent School District estimates $3 million to $5 million damage to about half of its nearly 300 schools."

"The North Forest ISD, which does not have flood insurance, suffered an estimated $8 million damage, officials said."

Why, NFISD was in hot water back in the late 1980s! http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1988_591510

I stand by my conclusions.

With respect to insurance, most governmental entities funded by property taxes don't need it...certainly not much of it, if any. It is usually less expensive to self-insure or raise taxes at some point down the road to service debt for repairing known losses than to have another company cover you for an uncertain future on top of which they'll take a cut and necessitate that you raise taxes in the present.

Now, do you believe that NFISD should be kept as a school district? If so, how would you solve the issues of NFISD that began in the 1980s while keeping the district boundaries intact?

Also, regarding insurance, what if the area is in a flood plain? I believe most of the North Forest area is prone to major flooding, but I need to see flood plain maps to see how much of the area is considered to be flood plain area. NFISD is confined to a small geographical area in the northeast, while HISD has a large area spread throughout Houston and Harris County. Also, the Chronicle did not mention that HISD has no insurance; judging from the reply, do you believe that HISD took a small amount of insurance for schools in easily-flooded areas?

I stand by my conclusions.

With respect to insurance, most governmental entities funded by property taxes don't need it...certainly not much of it, if any. It is usually less expensive to self-insure or raise taxes at some point down the road to service debt for repairing known losses than to have another company cover you for an uncertain future on top of which they'll take a cut and necessitate that you raise taxes in the present.

Now, do you believe that NFISD should be kept as a school district? If so, how would you solve the issues of NFISD that began in the 1980s while keeping the district boundaries intact?

A 'fix' to the problems will basically be left to the district's elected officials...but if the voters keep putting incompetent or corrupt individuals in power, nothing much should be expected to change. Rather than contaminating other districts with this one's problems and/or voters, let residents with kids vote with their feet and move to better districts; seems like they already are.

Also, regarding insurance, what if the area is in a flood plain? I believe most of the North Forest area is prone to major flooding, but I need to see flood plain maps to see how much of the area is considered to be flood plain area. NFISD is confined to a small geographical area in the northeast, while HISD has a large area spread throughout Houston and Harris County. Also, the Chronicle did not mention that HISD has no insurance; judging from the reply, do you believe that HISD took a small amount of insurance for schools in easily-flooded areas?

NFISD is certainly more fiscally exposed than HISD by virtue of size and location of its tax base, but that is secondary to the fundamental concepts of insurance. Consider two possibilities: 1) insure for perpetuity, paid for with annual inflows of property tax revenue; or 2) wait until a disaster occurs at NO COST in the present, and only then issue a muni bond that is tax-free for investors and thus has BELOW-MARKET interest rates, and tax at that time ONLY for the amount of damage that is incurred and ONLY for a limited number of years until the bond is paid off. Don't forget that insurance companies are not non-profit agencies--they build in not only enough money on any given deal to ensure that they make money on a policy, but enough money to ensure that a mega-disaster affecting many of their policies simultaneously doesn't create solvency problems...that's a risk that THEY have to insure in one way or another for.

Even with small or highly-exposed government entities with income from property taxes, it is usually more advisable to insure a minimum amount of revenues collected from the tax base (New Orleans could've used that) than it is to insure specific government-owned properties.

A 'fix' to the problems will basically be left to the district's elected officials...but if the voters keep putting incompetent or corrupt individuals in power, nothing much should be expected to change. Rather than contaminating other districts with this one's problems and/or voters, let residents with kids vote with their feet and move to better districts; seems like they already are.

That sounds a lot like Wilmer-Hutchins ISD. After looking at WHISD, the ultimate fate of the district lied in closure and consolidation... into Dallas ISD. WHISD residents not only moved, but also used charter schools and fake addresses (as in to get into DISD and Lancaster ISD schools) to get away from Wilmer-Hutchins.

This article on Clipfile: http://www.clipfile.org/2005/07/15/797/ explains the story of WHISD.

Part of the reason why I am for consolidating NFISD into HISD is because I feel that NFISD will eventually implode due to a loss of population.

At what point will NFISD's population be so low that it will not poison HISD's current political system? Do you feel a merger is needed at that point?

you do realize North Forest was a white school district at one time? Alot of their alums are ashamed to admit they went there but the Lakewood Area which is near Smiley High School was the main area. There's half the blame there as they ran off and left the area in shambles which is what white flight is known for...I know quite a few folks in that district and they've turned out alright....

problem is that the younger families who attended NFISD schools when it was going strong moved to Humble and surrounding areas and the same problems we see at NFISD has resurfaced in Humble at times.

Their boundaries are suspect also....Aldine snakes in and takes alot of kids and HISD does the same....the new development that went up on 59 and Little York is zoned to Aldine ISD when NFISD is less than a mile away.

HCBU: Has a group written a story about NFISD? It would be nice to see exactly how the district developed.

When a merge with HISD happens, I picture sprawling new developments (just like in the Houston southside) with residents new to Houston, residents new to the United States, and residents coming from gentrifying areas of town slowly appearing in the Lakewood and Scenic Woods areas. The big factor inhibiting development of southern Dallas proved to be WHISD. With DISD and the new intermodal terminal in southern Dallas and Wilmer and Hutchins, I suspect that development will explode in the area. Likewise, I suspect that development will become more attractive if HISD takes northeast Houston.

One other development: I'm officially a high school graduate now!

WHAT?!?!?!

Does this article speak of the sending of NFISD students to HISD schools back then?

Congradulations! Have you decided on an Institution of Higher Learning yet?

HCBU: Has a group written a story about NFISD? It would be nice to see exactly how the district developed.

When a merge with HISD happens, I picture sprawling new developments (just like in the Houston southside) with residents new to Houston, residents new to the United States, and residents coming from gentrifying areas of town slowly appearing in the Lakewood and Scenic Woods areas. The big factor inhibiting development of southern Dallas proved to be WHISD. With DISD and the new intermodal terminal in southern Dallas and Wilmer and Hutchins, I suspect that development will explode in the area. Likewise, I suspect that development will become more attractive if HISD takes northeast Houston.

I have difficulty sharing your vision. A lot of urbanistas on HAIF describe any newly-constructed suburb as an instant slum, and I usually take issue with that, but what is built between 610 and the Beltway off of 288 doesn't have any holding power. It really and truely has been relegated to the 'instant slum' status. Poor construction quality, small homes, lots of absentee landlords, low prices/rents, and the recent spat of subprime lending and subsequent foreclosures have essentially increased the population and put more children in those already-struggling schools...the very same kinds of children that will keep more affluent folks out. The only places where relatively high-dollar product is being built is nearer to the TMC in the form of townhomes; and they aren't marketed to households with children. Also, there have been far too many tax credit apartment complexes built down there in the past several years.

The long term effect of filling in a ghetto patchwork with more ghetto is a festering crime-ridden sore under Houston's jurisdiction. I suppose you forsee the day that schools serving southwest Houston are transformed into models of excellence?

...but honestly, I doubt that even this would happen in the North Forest area after any HISD merger. Like I keep saying, demographics are the problem. But they also lack a means by which to turn it around. They have no TMC or anything even approximating its capacity for job-creation, should not expect a return of subprime lending, and are even further off-the-radar to most people than is south Houston.

No i dont. Just going on memory from the news papers that were mailed to me from Houston during time in the military. I pride myself on my memory, but i cannot claim to know the dates with a straight face :):)

Archived