Tragic Murder of Young Woman

Murderers who barbecue their girlfriends:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4659327.html

Later Friday, investigators said Shepherd may have dismembered her body. And on Saturday, the sheriff announced there would be no search because all the remains had been burned. Shepherd's neighbors said Saturday that he was barbecuing at all hours of the day, for days at a time, at his apartment, No. 224.

James Hebert, 18, often played video games and barbecued with his "nice" next-door neighbor. In fact, they cooked out together so frequently Hebert kept his grill at Shepherd's. But starting March 15, he noticed Shepherd was cooking

Edited by mrfootball

Isn't there an ordinance about BBQ pits & gas grills on apartment patios? When I lived in an apartment I was warned twice by the management that there was a "ten foot" rule, and that I was not allowed to operate my grill inside my patio area.

Any idea why the fire department didn't enforce that rule?

Isn't there an ordinance about BBQ pits & gas grills on apartment patios? When I lived in an apartment I was warned twice by the management that there was a "ten foot" rule, and that I was not allowed to operate my grill inside my patio area.

Any idea why the fire department didn't enforce that rule?

Sometimes, yes. If not, most apartments will have some sort of rule locked into your lease or rental contract forbidding the use of BBQ pits and open fire/flame on patios balconys and terraces.

Per HFD Standards"

3.5 Location to buildings.

Portable barbeque pits, charcoal grills and other open-flame cooking devices outside of a building shall not be operated on combustible balconies or located within 10 feet of combustible walls or roofs or other combustible materials.

There's no "sometimes" about it; this rule applies to all structures within the city of Houston.

The fire department can only enforce rules if they're made aware that the rules are being violated. I agree, it's odd that they didn't make the guy move his grill.

I also think it's odd that Sheriff Tommy Thomas outright refused to initiate a search through landfills for the young woman's body (at first the alleged murderer stated he'd disposed of her body in a dumpster.) After a firestorm of controversy (sorry, unfortunate choice of words) the perp conveniently changes his story, and gets the sheriff off the hook.

Did something happen to the original thread? Anyway, this was Harris County and not City of Houston. I wonder if Harris County has different rules for pits & grills on patios. Also, which fire department was it that showed up with the Harris County Sheriff?

I also think it's odd that Sheriff Tommy Thomas outright refused to initiate a search through landfills for the young woman's body (at first the alleged murderer stated he'd disposed of her body in a dumpster.) After a firestorm of controversy (sorry, unfortunate choice of words) the perp conveniently changes his story, and gets the sheriff off the hook.

I thought it was more odd that Equa-search (per the news reports) seemed to be spear-heading the search effort. I figured the landfill would be considered a crime scene and only law enforcement officials could do the search. My wife speculated that the Sheriff's Office might have given the cumbersome task to the ever-ready & ambitious Equa-search, to which they accepted.

I never heard anything about the Sheriff refusing to search though. I must have missed that.

Did something happen to the original thread?

Yes; in the process of moving the thread, the original was lost. I was able to (more or less) reconstruct it using cut and paste. Sorry for any confusion.

Anyway, this was Harris County and not City of Houston. I wonder if Harris County has different rules for pits & grills on patios. Also, which fire department was it that showed up with the Harris County Sheriff?

I thought it was more odd that Equa-search (per the news reports) seemed to be spear-heading the search effort. I figured the landfill would be considered a crime scene and only law enforcement officials could do the search. My wife speculated that the Sheriff's Office might have given the cumbersome task to the ever-ready & ambitious Equa-search, to which they accepted.

I never heard anything about the Sheriff refusing to search though. I must have missed that.

That's what I heard on a television report last night (sorry, cannot remember which station.)

However, here's an account from The Eagle:

Despite the confession, Harris County sheriff's officials have questioned the likelihood of finding Stewart's body, which they said could be buried in a landfill beneath more than 35,000 tons of refuse.

Late Thursday, department officials announced they had all but ruled out a recovery effort, saying such an undertaking would be nearly impossible, logistically. A public outcry ensued, as did an offer from Texas A&M University former students to help foot the bill for the search, which could cost upward of $350,000 in excavation costs alone.

By Friday afternoon, sheriff's department officials appeared to have reversed their position. At the request of Harris County Sheriff Tommy Thomas, the county commissioners earmarked $500,000 in seized drug funds to pay for a potential search, a department spokesman said. Republic Waste - the garbage collection service for the trash container in question - was told to begin preparing the site, a process expected to take three days.

The sheriff then provided a rather cryptic message as he explained investigators were continuing to follow leads that could make the search unnecessary. He declined to comment further.

I personally think the BBQ is B.S. You know how long it would take to burn up an entire person weighing roughly 100lbs ? Not to mention how much propane or charcoal to get it hot enough to "burn up" all the flesh and leave nothing but bone? He may have dismembered her, but he didn't cook her up. The guy would have to have been stokin that fire for at least 12hrs to 14hrs straight, MINIMUM. It is a nice story for the Sheriff's Dept. because the "experts" come in and say, "Well, if he burned it all up, we'll never find the bones, the dogs aren't trained for that." This story sounds plausible to the victim's family, but does anyone actually believe that Tim Sheilds, the ex-boyfriend, is capable enough to mastermind such a task, the burning of ALL the body and the dismemberment is the work of a serial killer, not really an ex-boyfriend who flew off in a jealous rage. It is just not adding up. But, nobody saw Jeffrey Dahmer coming either, and he lived in an apartment also.

Edited by TJones

Is this a legal way to dispose of a body?

the guy killed her. the last thing he's thinking about is whether this is a legal way to dispose of the body.

Dammit Musicman, you beat me to it. "A legal way to dispose of a body" ? WTF are you smokin' mrfootball ? Let's see the guy just commited murder, how would you think the "LEGAL" way would be to dispose of the body so that you wouldn't be caught with it mrfootball ? :huh:

In fairness to mrfootball, his original title was "This is why apartments suck".

I decided to make the title more descriptive of the topic(s) being discussed (murder and fire prevention :blink: )

In fairness to mrfootball, his original title was "This is why apartments suck".

I decided to make the title more descriptive of the topic(s) being discussed (murder and fire prevention :blink: )

Then I pose the question to you bigT, what's the legal way to dispose of a body after you murder them ? :wacko::blink::lol:

Sorry mrfootball. This is what happens when "meddling kids" start snooping around with other peoples threads. ;)

Edited by TJones

Is this a legal way to dispose of a body?

the guy killed her. the last thing he's thinking about is whether this is a legal way to dispose of the body.

Quannel is his body gaurd. He WILL get off easy. Give it some time.

All he has to claim is temporary insanity or pull an OJ number. Everyone just kick back on your lawnchairs have a mental margarita.

I personally think the BBQ is B.S. You know how long it would take to burn up an entire person weighing roughly 100lbs ? Not to mention how much propane or charcoal to get it hot enough to "burn up" all the flesh and leave nothing but bone? He may have dismembered her, but he didn't cook her up. The guy would have to have been stokin that fire for at least 12hrs to 14hrs straight, MINIMUM.

And just how would you know?

All he has to claim is temporary insanity or pull an OJ number. Everyone just kick back on your lawnchairs have a mental margarita.

I call it now: He will plead not guilty, his attorney will challenge the prosecutor to produce the body as proof that he actually murdered her and infact didn't instead just make up the whole story.

Is that right? Well, if you knew how to read as well as you know how to spout off without knowing what you are talking about, you would have read that the defendant led Quanell X to the dumpster and that he alerted the police to such. In other words, Quanell X SOLD the kid down the river! He is the State's STAR witness against the kid. He also got the kid to confess.

Jeebus, there may well be a challenge to the lack of a body, though a body is not required to prove a murder case. But, assuming the 2 specks of blood in the bathroom are the victim's, the State should be OK there. A bigger question is does the defense want to deny the killing at all? The kid confessed, the details are grisly, and blood is in the bathroom. Gonna be hard to beat. However, if he fesses up and says that the 'other man' caused him to fly into such a rage that he couldn't control himself, he has a good argument for voluntary manslaughter. Manslaughter has a 20 year max punishment versus life for murder.

If it were me, I'd look real hard at going that route.

Edited by RedScare

• The title was changed to Tragic Murder of Young Woman