How many times a week do you watch channel 39 local news?

LarryDallas

I used to watch when nothing better was on just to get information instead of spending time on talk shows or really bad programs. Around 1998 is when news started really getting bad in Houston, IMHO. It went from reporting facts and stories to a gossip style format where they (the news media) are the good guys and are looking out for you while making stupid comments that are all opinions presented as facts. Case in point, when a school bus has an accident with a car they will fly a chopper over it and make it seem as if the whole bus burst into flames and 70 people onboard all burned to death alive when it was just a fender bender.

That said, when channel 39 started doing news I was hooked on them. They might have the lowest budget but they are the most professional in sticking to the story and minimizing their own personal garbage. My fav. professional reporters are Steve Simon, Dennis Spellman, and Elizabeth Lee. These people are at the top of their game.

That said, I do not watch local news all that much since I got the satellite hooked up. For weather I go online and get the info in under 1 minute rather than have the local channels give you a blurb at the top of the broadcast and make you wait 20 minutes into the show to get the full report. Besides, I could care less about low pressure areas parking themselves over houston. All I need to know is the temp, humindity level, wind direction, and if it will rain or not.

Do you watch local news as much as you used to?

Have you gone online for a majority of the news?

BTW, the news station websites are as bad as the broadcast in delivering extra opinions disgused as fact so I usually read the chronicle online to get local stories.

I have watched it once, and not all the way through. I see the billboards on 1960 all the time, but rarely have the inclination to tune in.

In fact, I rarely have the inclination to tune into any local news (except LOCAL Fox Morning News). Strangely, I pretty much hate Fox Network, but love their morning news.

I like the fact that the reporters LOOK like Houston (multi-ethnic, multi-generational) and the show has a nice feel to it.

That said, when channel 39 started doing news I was hooked on them. They might have the lowest budget but they are the most professional in sticking to the story and minimizing their own personal garbage. My fav. professional reporters are Steve Simon, Dennis Spellman, and Elizabeth Lee. These people are at the top of their game.

and you get to hear sherry williams say "goodnight friends and neighbors" a la ron stone. i do like her and alan hemburger.

In total agreement.

I watch almost every night of the year.

They cut right to the chase scene without any annoying shenanigan's like that pathetic loud bald guy on channel 11. "Top of the morn....I can't even say it, ...blah! :wacko:

I watch this channel ZERO times a week.

CSPAN 1 and 2

CNN

FOX-all versions

BBC

MSNBC

CNN Headline News

Weather Channel

History Channel or as my boys call it "the Hitler Channel" :lol::lol:

These are the stations my TV usually rest on ;)

I watch Headline News, a CNN network (It is NOT CNN Headline News anymore!)

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon:

History Channel or as my boys call it "the Hitler Channel"

Thats's what my uncle calls it, too.

I wouldn't know a channel 39 anchor or reporter if I came face-to-face with them in person. Maybe I should check it out.

I usually watch channel 2, but I don't know why. It's pretty ridiculous sometimes.

I don't have cable anymore and ever since, I've been watching the news on PBS. It's very good. Much more in depth and comprehensive than any other stations I used to watch, including Fox.

I had no idea Sesame Street had such informative news?!?! :lol:

cookie_monster.jpg

According to a consultant I spoke to about this in 1999 told me that when people move to Houston (generally in their 20's and 30's) they immediately start watching KPRC-TV news because they think it has a "big city" feel and that it matches their lifestyles.

After a while they get bored with all the flash and no substance so they start watching KTRK but soon realize it's TV for geezers.

Some of them end up on KHOU because it's sort of the middle ground. Some tune out completely. I personally suspect a few end up with 39.

I think you are right.

KHOU had the best teams and reporters but they seem to be going downhill these days. Their noon weekday broadcast is very unprofessional with Ron Trevino always making fun of David Paul. The PM Len Cannon and Greg Hurst team is okay but KHOU was in its prime when Steve Smith used to be the #1 anchor back in the late 80s and early 90s.

CW39 just needs to advertise better I suppose.

I have not watched KRIV in years because they insult the viewer's intelligence by doing stories that dumb down things way too much and make it seem as if the average viewer has a 5th grade education, can not think very well, and actually wants someone to tell it to them in such a way.

I forgot about KRIV. I think it's telling that when Tribune decided to add news to its Houston station the people it hired came from Fox and KHOU. They were all people who decided they were sick of typical newsroom garbage and decided to do it "their way," meaning the RIGHT way.

39 doesn't always break news like the other stations. It's partly because of their size. But often it's because 39 has to make tough decisions and almost always takes the high road. Management there would rather be late and right than first and wrong. They're also not interested in doing the same stories as the other stations. I can't tell you how many times I've heard managers at KHOU say they did a particular story just because 2 or 13 did it.

Two of 39's people (General manager and 9pm producer) were promoted to the company's flagship station, so I guess they're doing something right.

i agree....CW39@9 is my favorite local broadcast. It gets right to the point, reducing the second-guessing commentaries. It is also very interesting.

I would rather hear the story now, than wait through 15-30 minutes of stuff i already know.

I've never watched a single broadcast. Tried once and just didn't like it. Gave up most local tv news, until KHOU started in HD and now we've been watching that more often. Channel 2 reminds me of what the National Enquirer would be like if it had a newscast...

I'm sure KHOU's HD novelty will wear off though and we'll start tuning out again...

• 1 month later...

never watch it.

I do tune into channel 11

because it is in HD and has the best broadcast.

I only watch the locals now if they are in HD.

too many choices on cable or sattelite.

I'll tune in for local sports or local news. thats about it.

never watch it.

I do tune into channel 11

because it is in HD and has the best broadcast.

I only watch the locals now if they are in HD.

too many choices on cable or sattelite.

I'll tune in for local sports or local news. thats about it.

They really need to have an afternoon and morning news team.

Only one nightly newscast for 30 minutes is pretty small. Imagine getting paid to be an anchor for only 30 minutes of real work, and the rest is just make-up and meetings.

I forgot about KRIV. I think it's telling that According to a consultant I spoke to about this in 1999 told me that when people move to Houston (generally in their 20's and 30's) they immediately start watching KPRC-TV news because they think it has a "big city" feel and that it matches their lifestyles.

After a while they get bored with all the flash and no substance so they start watching KTRK but soon realize it's TV for geezers.

Some of them end up on KHOU because it's sort of the middle ground. Some tune out completely. I personally suspect a few end up with 39.

WOW. You have uncovered my subconscious. A long time ago, I use to like KPRC because from retrospect I can say it use to look like a tradional news setting, whatever the hell that means, now all the new people irk me for some reason. KTRK always seemed kind of slow and now I always watch KHOU.

For 9 o' clock news I do watch CW.

moo, i use to watch channel 11 only for Lisa Foronda, now i watch 39 at 9 just cuz they cut to the chase, and plus I CAN'T STAND MIKE BARAJAS over on 26.

but i do watch 26 in the morning when i would get ready for work. Jan Jeffcoat seems real down to earth and I like the chemistry they all have together as a team....

Archived