Food Poisioning

PapillionWyngs

Please, someone, just shoot me.

Look at the bright side; it could have been jaundice which is what I and 2 other family members got while eating at a Mexican joint in San Antonio some years ago. Got a stomach "viral infection" along with many others at a company lunch catered by Black-eyed Pea! Never gone back there since. I think I'm gonna heave now! :wacko:

From Health A to Z:

People with food poisoning should modify their diet. During period of active vomiting and diarrhea they should not try to eat and should drink only clear liquids frequently but in small quantities. Once active symptoms stop, they should eat bland, soft, easy to digest foods for two to three days. One example is the BRAT diet of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast, all of which are easy to digest. Milk products, spicy food, alcohol and fresh fruit should be avoided for a few days...

From Health A to Z:

People with food poisoning should modify their diet. During period of active vomiting and diarrhea they should not try to eat and should drink only clear liquids frequently but in small quantities. Once active symptoms stop, they should eat bland, soft, easy to digest foods for two to three days. One example is the BRAT diet of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast, all of which are easy to digest. Milk products, spicy food, alcohol and fresh fruit should be avoided for a few days...

Thanks for the information. I have only had soft foods on the list in moderation - wasn't able to even think about eating or drinking anything until last night (the night after). Even when I eat ver limited quantities of what is on the list, I still feel bad.

The veggies I was referring to may have been the cultprit.

The food supply in this country is becoming increasingly unsafe. And by food supply, I do not mean just groceries ... it seems like eating out (at restaurants or other food establishments ... especially in Houston) is a dangerous thing.

HEP tainted ice cream and Mexican food anyone?

What veggies? Isn't the yellow complexion a symptom of hepatitis?

and jaundice.

and as negative as this may sound, I cant count how many times I see employees of eateries leave the men's room without washing their hands, disgusting. I have to get a piece of napkin to grab the handle while leaving! Yucko!

Then you see employees handling the food (like @ Church's) with no gloves on then they turn around and ring you up? Thats so screwed up. Money is one of the filthiest things you can touch. You have no idea where it's been. Not to get too graphic but at strip clubs the dancers place dollar bills...well, now I'm :wacko:

Look at the bright side; it could have been jaundice which is what I and 2 other family members got while eating at a Mexican joint in San Antonio some years ago. Got a stomach "viral infection" along with many others at a company lunch catered by Black-eyed Pea! Never gone back there since. I think I'm gonna heave now! :wacko:

Gaundice, or Hepatitis-A ? Hep-A gives you a "gaundiced" look because it does effect your liver. I've had it, It ain't fun !

If you think you got it on the 21st then it probably isn't Hep-A. That takes awhile to incubate, Definately longer than a day. If your symptoms persist for 3 days in a row, go to the doctor.

Edited by TJones

The veggies I was referring to may have been the cultprit.

Glad your doing better. Subject is still sickness so no one say I am shifting topics. I recall when as a teenager I worked at several fast food places where I noticed big changes on how the food was better handled. Not sure if I can mention certain places but I can say Burger King was one of the better kept places for food storage. Taco Bell was the worse. I will explain.

Burger King always had their veggie's brought in bags already chopped up so we wouldn't have to cut them up. Lessoned "your" chances of getting ill. All we had to do was open and pour into the metal containers.

Taco Bell was bad. Taco Shells sit out all day and night on metal trays uncovered. All food had to be hand held in one way or another. No one used gloves either. We always found signs of all kind of infestation by our little twilight friends. Micky Mouse and pals.

One thing I can say is we HAD to wear hats. It is gross to get your food and find even one strand of hair in it, yucko! but next time you go to a eatery see how many don't wear hairnets or hats. Marvin Zindler sure was ahead of his time when he started his crusade to "get down and get funky" on all eating establishments. :P

Hat's off to Marv! ...All together gang!

Taco Bell was bad. Taco Shells sit out all day and night on metal trays uncovered. All food had to be hand held in one way or another. No one used gloves either. We always found signs of all kind of infestation by our little twilight friends. Micky Mouse and pals.

One thing I can say is we HAD to wear hats. It is gross to get your food and find even one strand of hair in it, yucko! but next time you go to a eatery see how many don't wear hairnets or hats.

I can safely report that the Taco Bell at SH6 & Westheimer is mostly staffed by middle aged Indian women who are polite, wear hats, and gloves. I've had nothing but great service from them. Courtesy it seems, still goes a long way.

I can safely report that the Taco Bell at SH6 & Westheimer is mostly staffed by middle aged Indian women who are polite, wear hats, and gloves. I've had nothing but great service from them. Courtesy it seems, still goes a long way.

I'm sure they run a tight ship at that eatery.

Just to reiterate, my synopsis was referencing how we worked at these places over 25 years ago. I am sure that health codes have been reinforced since then but Marv still runs the loooong list every other day. :lol:

I'm sure they run a tight ship at that eatery.

Just to reiterate, my synopsis was referencing how we worked at these places over 25 years ago. I am sure that health codes have been reinforced since then but Marv still runs the loooong list every other day. :lol:

Its no guarantee, but actually getting out of your car, going inside the restaurant, and visually inspecting the kitchem prep area (which 99% of all fast foor restaurants have made easily visible to the ordering customer) will give you a decent idea of the person making your meal, their general hygene, use of protective gear, etc.

Of course you can't see things like Hepititis A, but that's why we have vaccinations.

Thanks. Am feeling better, but S13 was in hospital for 3 days. Just got him home yesterday - not food poisioning, just so you know...

Guess what, had my turn this weekend. I have tried to track backwards what could have got me so ill. Saturday around 2pm I ate at a Chinese buffet on Nasa Blvd.

Never had a problem however, they had a sign above the raw oysters that said pretty much "eat at your own risk". Maybe it should have been in blaring neon! I only ate about 4 oysters and no prob. Later around 8pm I ate at Whataburger, burger fries and a tall Dr Pepper. I drank quite a bit of Dr. Pepper. by 9:30 I had a glass of milk then started getting ill.

So is it true that it takes about 1/2 day to start feeling sick? That's what I have heard. Not that it matters but I just wonder what was the culprit?

Its Monday morn and I am just getting better. Drinking lots of Gatorade to make up for the dehydration part. I tossed out the rest of the milk and am not eating oysters for a loooong time. :blink:

Raw oysters will probably become a food that no one will be eating anymore due to their potential ill f/x

And I suppose that sex will probably become an act that no one will be doing anymore due to its potential ill f/x?

I think not. I'll continue to enjoy oysters in their most delectible form: raw, fresh from the bath, in-season, and with just a smear of of sauce. So long as you take the basic precautions and do not visit establishments of ill repute, you should be a-OK.