Harrisburg Blvd.

Guest danax

You just solved another East End mystery! We only knew the location at N Wayside and Ave T as "Stephen's Drive-In".

They must have bought out this one specific location from the Prince's chain. I recall going there hundreds of times as teenagers but this was in late 70's-80's. Now I'm hungry! :lol:

car_hops_book.jpg

From the memory of "honey"/hubby:

You are right @ Stephen's buying Princess Drive In. They ran it for few short years & closed. Hubby says Cox Hardware lumber yard sits where Princess/Stephens once was located. He says Ave S. He said Princess seemed to loose customers when McDonalds was build couple of blocks away closer to the ship channel. We were probably one of the last customers @ this location. We celebrated a 20 something anniversary there with fried shrimp. Was fun, but the food not too tasty...just lotza memories [opps--getting off topic]. Regarding Princess on Harrisburg by RR Tracks, he says it sat between the Ice Company [Horlock's?] & RR track where new development now. It was a favorite for the hip East Enders:). The Cullen/I45 location seemed to be noisey [freeway] & had more non-neighborhood customers. Harrisburg was a kinda gathering place as were the ones on Jensen & N. Shephers. Cox hardware is probably the best hardware store still around as they have such a variety & their people are knowledgeable. Martini on Lawndale still favorite for "things" for old houses & quick in/out.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest danax
From the memory of "honey"/hubby:

Regarding Princess on Harrisburg by RR Tracks, he says it sat between the Ice Company [Horlock's?] & RR track where new development now. It was a favorite for the hip East Enders:). The Cullen/I45 location seemed to be noisey [freeway] & had more non-neighborhood customers. Harrisburg was a kinda gathering place as were the ones on Jensen & N. Shephers. Cox hardware is probably the best hardware store still around as they have such a variety & their people are knowledgeable. Martini on Lawndale still favorite for "things" for old houses & quick in/out.

I'm thinking the Prince's you're referring to by the tracks was on Wayside just north of Harrisburg....cool Moderne design (had a pic somewhere on HAIF but can't find it now) and I do believe it was recently demolished.

Martini's is a good spot for hardware, been there since '45.

Thought for sure you were going to shout hi-jack topic! In any case any one is wondering there is a disco song called "Hi-Jack" everytime a moderator points out, the song starts in my head.

In any case this is about new development on Harrisburg. (and yes Martini's deserves mention somewhere another East End landmark.

I just remembered that the post #1 Danax started was once a Notary Public run by Mrs Canelli Drew and long time resident & my mom's best friend. Her Notary service jumped around this area several times. Rent hikes kept her on the move. She is walking history of EastWood. :)

I'm thinking the Prince's you're referring to by the tracks was on Wayside just north of Harrisburg....cool Moderne design (had a pic somewhere on HAIF but can't find it now) and I do believe it was recently demolished.

Martini's is a good spot for hardware, been there since '45.

Prince's on Harrisburg was @300' W of the RR tracks & @ 500' from intersection with Hughes St. Hughe's Tools "Main Harrisburg Gate" was right across Harrisburg from this Prince's. Was cool :)

Prince's on Harrisburg was @300' W of the RR tracks & @ 500' from intersection with Hughes St. Hughe's Tools "Main Harrisburg Gate" was right across Harrisburg from this Prince's. Was cool :)

Anybody interested in a tour of Prince's Drive-In locations [but not on Sunday mornings when everyone is picking up beer cans in front yard:)]

Anybody interested in a tour of Prince's Drive-In locations [but not on Sunday mornings when everyone is picking up beer cans in front yard:)]

That's a great idea. I passed by the old one (Stephen's) at Ave U and Wayside out of morbid curiousity. I knew it had been converted to an old used car place. The only thing even remotely recogniziable was the main building. The "Stephen's Drive-In" sign above is there just been painted over quite ugly. You can still see a little of the neon zig-zag squiggle that used to adorn the sides. They used to have tables inside to eat your burgers and listen to the juke box. I was getting hungry just remembering the scene. The carhops were so cool too. They had been there for many years and still wore those cool carhop uniforms to the end. Where's my Shrimp basket? :P

• 1 month later...

The weather today was too nice for sitting in freeway traffic so I took the surface streets home; Washington-Franklin-Harrisburg.

Once on Harrisburg, the first thing I noticed was the Maxwell House sign with the dripping coffee is gone. :unsure: Anyone know what happened here? Are they replacing it perhaps with a big Kraft Foods sign instead ? I sure hope not. We have too few quirky semi-neon signs left.

This next thing that was different was not too far down the road. I'm surprised it leaves so little room for parking in front. It almost appears to be........pedestrian/transit oriented development :ph34r: . Nah, can't be. It must be just someone developing this that doesn't know any better.

2rzudte.jpg

Ok, did some spying this weekend. The street to the left is Delmar. Now if we can get an aerial shot we may be able to see the homes I mentioned earlier in this thread. The house directly nehind this building across from where the RR tracks used to be is one that still has a huge wrap around porch complete with original leaded glass windows and original gingerbread crowning the top. Absolutely smashing!

There are more in the hood behind and around this vicinity. By the way if anyone is loooking for a flat, the Queen Anne to the left here has a room vacancy. I want to take the whole house and move to my lot for TLC! Still can be restored! :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

7-27-2007-07.jpg

This is Eastwood Park on Harrisburg at Dumble 1970. It was very clean and kept up then.

You can still see that swimming pool building in the background (somewhat visible). My big sis was visiting us between flights while at Eastern Airlines. Thats my little niece in her arms. Lord where did the years go! Yikes! It was fun and exciting none the less! :P

7-27-2007-07.jpg

This is Eastwood Park on Harrisburg at Dumble 1970. It was very clean and kept up then.

You can still see that swimming pool building in the background (somewhat visible). My big sis was visiting us between flights while at Eastern Airlines. Thats my little niece in her arms. Lord where did the years go! Yikes! It was fun and exciting none the less! :P

cool pic, that's where i learned how to swim...and i was up there about 2 weeks ago at the small skate park that they built, the community center brought back some memories from when i was a little kid

4do85c6.jpg

Still no tenants?

Wonder if it's being advertised somewhere?

Seems ready to go.

i think i heard METRO is going to open something here that is related to the se line. maybe something that provides help to small and minority businesses.

cool pic, that's where i learned how to swim...and i was up there about 2 weeks ago at the small skate park that they built, the community center brought back some memories from when i was a little kid

It would be great if they enlarged this skate park! This park has been overlooked for decades. Had garnered such a bad reputation by the mid 70's but has small touch ups lately. Side note: Not sure what compelled them to film scenes for Bad News Bears II there, but they did. Maybe it was the only ballpark available at the time. We kids rushed after school to see it going on. No tatum O'Neal that time. I have more photos of original playground equipment & rides.

Local councilmen/women need to help this park. Peace! :)

• 5 months later...
i think i heard METRO is going to open something here that is related to the se line. maybe something that provides help to small and minority businesses.

Many don't realize (including me) that Harrisburg still has several truly historical structures still standing. I never knew there was an old City Hall there. There was a very popular dance hall on Harrisburg near Macario Garcia or 75th street? Building is still there and has a modern 1950's kind of entrance to it.

I think there is a Magnolia thread going. Anyone from the area please contribute if possible. The more the merrier! :D

PS, I never realized how large of an area Magnolia took up! Very large indeed.

^^^ Right. There have been some attempts to renovate some of those older structures near 75th and General Garcia Blvd, including some others along different stretches of Harrisburg and/or the East End (El Mercado, etc). Like with most things, the developer needs to be reliable and competent. There have been some swings and misses.

^^^ Right. There have been some attempts to renovate some of those older structures near 75th and General Garcia Blvd, including some others along different stretches of Harrisburg and/or the East End (El Mercado, etc). Like with most things, the developer needs to be reliable and competent. There have been some swings and misses.

Can you imagine if they would have left the Sears Dept store there? It had many more years of life still left in it. It was very iconic of that area shopping district.

The two buildings caddy corner (north) are of true historical significance. The old phone company bldg and the Hall across the street. Everyone needs to take a cruise towards the very end (east end of Harrisburg ) and drive in towards downtown and realize what a spectacular view of the DT skyline there is, even at night. You really feel as if your in another city. The local Roman Catholic churches are just as iconic. Very early Houston. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I heard that they will be tearing down buildings on Harrisburg and Edgewood for Metro (maybe a station). My family built the building on that corner. I found a picture posted in another thread on this website. See: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...entry7968

Can anyone tell me more about what will be happening and when? I would like to see if I can obtain the "Fatta Building" plaque on the front of the building when they tear it down. If anyone has any ideas of who I should contact, I'd love to hear it. I'm not living in Houston now, so I've been out of the loop on what development is happening.

Can anyone tell me more about what will be happening and when? I would like to see if I can obtain the "Fatta Building" plaque on the front of the building when they tear it down. If anyone has any ideas of who I should contact, I'd love to hear it. I'm not living in Houston now, so I've been out of the loop on what development is happening.

METRO opened up an office on harrisburg to answer questions regarding the harrisburg line. that may be your best bet.

Thanks, its a good place to start. I'll give them a call. My grandfather built that building in the 20s. His shoe store and other businesses he rented space to, were on the first floor, and they lived on the second floor. He designed the building in Italianatte style, since he immigrated here from Italy. The architecture both inside and outside at the time was stunning. My family sold the building in the 70s after my grandfather passed away. Its changed a lot since then. I think is was about the early 60s that the area really took a dive. When I spent the weekends with my grandparents, I was entertained by sitting at the upstairs window looking out at the beer joints across the street and behind us, as shootings and fights took place. There was always at least one every Saturday that involved someone being carried out on a stretcher.

This thread has been a stroll down memory lane for me. I spent many afternoons at the park on Harrisburg as I lived the first few years of my life on Edgewood and Harrisburg, across the street from the Weingarten store. It was a great urban neighboorhood in the late 40s and 50s. In '54 we moved to Idylwood off Lawndale and Wayside, where I grew up. It was a wonderful family neighborhood. I'm really glad to see that people are once again interested in the East End.

METRO opened up an office on harrisburg to answer questions regarding the harrisburg line. that may be your best bet.

I heard that they will be tearing down buildings on Harrisburg and Edgewood for Metro (maybe a station). My family built the building on that corner. I found a picture posted in another thread on this website. See: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...entry7968

I hope that you're wrong about the Fatta building coming down. We knew that a lot of the right of way was going to be taken but it would be a real shame if they take that one, as I think it's the best historic building left on Harrisburg, although it's been remuddled recently which destroyed a lot of its beauty.

I wonder if Greater Houston Preservation is aware, although I doubt Metro would yield.

They will not take it seriously unless someone speaks, a petiiton of local residents get started and so on.

Otherwise they assume no one cares and down it comes.

Seperately, I sure wish most of you could have seen the beautiful big homes that used to line nearby Dumble street/Telephone/45 area. Most were demolished around 1972 all that remains are the broken sidewalks. What you presently see are ugly tin buildings and gravel parking lots.

When your a kid you never think of snapping a photo.

Once rail heads down Harrisburg who knows what will happen to the remaining older buildings. Locals must speak out. Bottom line.

You mean ALL older buildings along Harrisburg? The person that started the Magnolia topic a few weeks ago mentioned they were trying to save some of the more traditional older historical ones. In most cases if the bordering street residents do not speak up developers or city will do as they please. Right? I'm just hoping anyone out there (living around Harrisburg) that is reading this cares. In vice versa fashion they probably dont care what those of us near 45/Wayside do around here. Thats all. In more afluent parts of town there would be hundreds of residents out in full force with signs to not demolish these buildings. Just trying to encourage participation for those "unsung" nabes. Thats it. :)

That link takes me to a post containing a picture of an art deco staircase in a house in Idylwood. Could someone post a link to a pic of the Fatta building?

• 1 month later...
That's the building alright. The changes made to the building after my family sold it are terrible. It was a really nice building in its day. Hate to see it torn down for Metro.

The changes were pretty recent. It seems odd that the new owners would invest in them (crappy as they are) if they knew that the building was just going to get knocked down.

It seems odd that the new owners would invest in them (crappy as they are) if they knew that the building was just going to get knocked down.

sometimes you don't know. HCC just bought 1/2 block of houses to expand their empire by gulfgate and one was just remodeled in the last yr or so quite nicely.

• 1 month later...
That's a great idea. I passed by the old one (Stephen's) at Ave U and Wayside out of morbid curiousity. I knew it had been converted to an old used car place. The only thing even remotely recogniziable was the main building. The "Stephen's Drive-In" sign above is there just been painted over quite ugly. You can still see a little of the neon zig-zag squiggle that used to adorn the sides. They used to have tables inside to eat your burgers and listen to the juke box. I was getting hungry just remembering the scene. The carhops were so cool too. They had been there for many years and still wore those cool carhop uniforms to the end. Where's my Shrimp basket? :P

Stephen's Drive-in was serving hamburgers as recently as l997. I went there a few times in the mid to late 90's and was served by a competent senior citizen car hop who may have been there since the Prince's days. The food wasn't as good as I remember Prince's to have been (we always went to the one by Sears, across from the Delman Theater), but it was a great nostalgia experience.

Archived