South's Biggest City Economy?

can someone define "gross domestic product"? i read that the houston ship channel is responsible for 11 billion dollars in local economic impact. would that be included in houston's gdp? thanks in advance.

GDP is the total value of all goods and services produced in any given year. The 11B from Houston's ship channel would definitely be counted. I'd be surprised if Houston didn't overtake Dallas and Atlanta because of the current energy boom. Actually, I'm surprised that Houston isn't higher and that Atlanta surpasses us.

Here's some info from the PWC research that sheds a little light on the results. At least it accounts for PART of the reason that Atlanta is shown with a larger GDP, even though it's a smaller city/metro:

The study analyzed something called "urban agglomerations" from the United Nations "World Urbanization Prospects". I could not find any more detail about exactly what is included in the various "urban agglomerations", but they do show that under this definition, Houston and Atlanta are almost exactly the same size (4.3 million), so I presume they have left out Galveston etc. DFW is shown with 4.65 million population. (These are the 2005 numbers)

WAIT: Texas has several metro areas that are rocking' and rolling'... GA has one - Atlanta. whoohee. Texas has Houston, Dallas, Austin/SA and all that that implies. GA: be happy with your 1 metroplex-ette...TX is rockin' with many,,,,,,,,,,,,

Aus Sa HOU DFW 3rd Coast... and all.......

Savannah has the second largest port on the East Coast.

That does it. I'm moving to Savannah. :lol::lol::lol:

Let's keep the Dallas vs. Houston competition going. I love it. Because, when all is said and done, and the stats are in in every category .... guess who's yo daddy? It ain't Dallas. :P

P.S. Texas is fortunate to have three or four huge metro areas that can kick other states' metro areas right out of the water. But Houston is on the water. We do have that on Dallas. Other than that, the cities are awesome mean metro machines.

That does it. I'm moving to Savannah. :lol::lol::lol:

Let's keep the Dallas vs. Houston competition going. I love it. Because, when all is said and done, and the stats are in in every category .... guess who's yo daddy? It ain't Dallas. :P

P.S. Texas is fortunate to have three or four huge metro areas that can kick other states' metro areas right out of the water. But Houston is on the water. We do have that on Dallas. Other than that, the cities are awesome mean metro machines.

What water?

So you are saying that us troublemaking Dallasites know how to push Houstonian buttons? It's easy: Simply post a statistic/opinion that ranks Dallas or DFW ahead of Houston and watch the show.

I would suggest that you shouldn't be so easily manipulated, but I find myself being sucked into the moment as well. Dallasites and Houstonians are very passionate defenders of their cities.

Ok, kiddoes. If I go and brag to my friends about how much more money I make than them or how my house is so much more expensive it just points out the sad obvious fact that I am a shallow, materialistic, little, insecure person who places too much importance on external things. But since I am not that person, I don't do those things. I don't think we are those kinds of people on this forum either. So please, let's get back to meaningful discussions. Houston and Dallas have a lot going for them so let's leave it at that.

Ok, kiddoes. If I go and brag to my friends about how much more money I make than them or how my house is so much more expensive it just points out the sad obvious fact that I am a shallow, materialistic, little, insecure person who places too much importance on external things. But since I am not that person, I don't do those things. I don't think we are those kinds of people on this forum either. So please, let's get back to meaningful discussions. Houston and Dallas have a lot going for them so let's leave it at that.

Ditto. See post #10. The prophecy has been fulfilled.

Just say no to trolls.

You know what water Dallasboi. If you can claim Ft Worth, we can sure as hell can claim Galveston.

Well....as long as you already know that it's rediculous to say ....then its okay wit me....The reason I said "what water" is because if someone went to houston looking for a city on the water...they wouldn't find it.Just like you guys say we shouldn't say we have a port because ther is no water involved........Don't get me wrong, there is a body of water somewhere downthere....but it's nowhere near downtown,or better yet...nowhere in the city limits..........but feel free to correct me. :mellow:

Well....as long as you already know that it's rediculous to say ....then its okay wit me....The reason I said "what water" is because if someone went to houston looking for a city on the water...they wouldn't find it.Just like you guys say we shouldn't say we have a port because ther is no water involved........Don't get me wrong, there is a body of water somewhere downthere....but it's nowhere near downtown,or better yet...nowhere in the city limits..........but feel free to correct me. :mellow:

[/quote

It's only as rediculous as you claiming Ft Worth as a Dallasite. Secondly, there is bay water all around South and East Houston. Get to know the city a little better before espousing your sarcasm.

If I gave you an affirmative answer, you'd only argue it and thrive on the conflict.

...so no, I'm not. :rolleyes:

Then why bring up the troll comment in the first place; or as you put it so well, "Btw, what was the point of the original post?" If you intend to call out a troll, don't be a coward, stand by your words and finish what you start.

You made another comment that seemed odd, but perhaps I misunderstood your meaning.

Given comparisons between Dallas and Houston are all too often made by certain Dallasites (yet strangely, by no residents of other cities) in an attempt to elicit a flamewar, I call your motives into question.

Certainly you aren't suggesting that Dallasites are the ONLY HAIFers on this board making comparisons between Dallas and Houston. Seems to me Houstonians have more to gain by making direct comparisons. Why would Dallasites try to compare D to H when by almost every statistical measure, if only through its own bulk, H is bigger, fatter, louder, taller, etc.? Of course, if we are talking metros, such as the original post, then the debate is more evenly matched.

I don't know how many times we have to repeat this. Apparently the warning banner at the top of the page isn't clear enough.

We do not want to host Houston-vs-Dallas flame wars on this board. They don't belong on HAIF. If that is your main interest, then you are in the wrong place.

Archived