Racism in Houston.

Double L

Your continent of origin determines your ethnicity -- not your skin color. Someone born in Africa who later became and American citizen, is an African-American. Race has nothing to do with it.

I have gotten in trouble for asking "dots or feathers" in response to listening to a story about "Indians." All in good fun. All in good fun.

None of my Asian friends prefer being called yellow anymore than any of my Hispanic friends prefer to be called brown. None consider it derogatory when referencing multiple races as in: black, white, yellow, or brown. However, both told me that they felt it derogatory when describing a single group or person, eg: It was a group of brown guys, or I think it was a yellow girl.

The term African-American was created out of nessessity for the American Black comminity to help establish themselves as an equal race of individuals during the civil-rights movement. Since I was raised after that movement, its become integrated into my vernacular, but its rarely used.

i'm not sure i agree with you on the first point. i don't think i would like being called brown in either instance. i just called a hispanic friend and asked her and she laughed and said "they're crazy, they must be doing it behind our backs cause i've never heard that" LOLOL

as for african american, i would say it used more than rarely. two of my best friends from work are black. i just asked them one replied "they must be living in a shelter cause i hear it everyday" the other said "where do they live?"

i'm not sure i agree with you on the first point. i don't think i would like being called brown in either instance. i just called a hispanic friend and asked her and she laughed and said "they're crazy, they must be doing it behind our backs cause i've never heard that" LOLOL
So your friend would be offended if someone around them said something along the lines of: "I can't care if they're black, white, brown, or yellow, the entrance fee should be equal no matter who you are..." Because that's what I was referring to in my previous post as non-derogatory.
as for african american, i would say it used more than rarely. two of my best friends from work are black. i just asked them one replied "they must be living in a shelter cause i hear it everyday" the other said "where do they live?"
What did you ask them?

This thread is pointless.

Agreed, all I mentioned a month ago was that this was in the wrong section of the forum . . . how in the world did this even turn up active again?

Everyone just go and talk about American Idol or something . . .even Light Rail will do, where is AftonAg???

Did I mention the "Third Ward Ain't For Sale"?

You make a good point that's continually over looked: racism can come from all colors, not just white people.

Everyone just go and talk about American Idol or something . .

You go first and wait. We'll meet you there. We promise.

So your friend would be offended if someone around them said something along the lines of: "I can't care if they're black, white, brown, or yellow, the entrance fee should be equal no matter who you are..." Because that's what I was referring to in my previous post as non-derogatory.

As was I Jeebus, wasn't trying to be derog at all, but like I said, some people will try to find racism in ANYTHING.

Also, A big thank you to Ralo, for seeing the difference.

What did you ask them?

she just laughed because it just isn't used (when she's around anyway). knowing her she would ask what a yellow was?

i asked my black friends if they thought the term african american was rarely used.

yall are killing me LOL

Guest Marty

If you want to hear racism in Houston just tune your police scanner to 27.185 MHZ or channel 19 on CB and you will hear White, Black's and hispanics calling each other all kinds of crazy stuff. :wacko:

. one lady started talking about hispanics in a slightly derogatory manner. another lady stepped in and said you know that she's hispanic? and the lady said i didn't know cause she's so light complected. i call this simply a matter of old age racism. people still have their stereotypes. to say that there is no racism is houston is just not being truthful. but to say it is rampant, isn't being truthful either.

The differenece here is, they are old and will be dead soon. Im more focussed on the younger folks. Thats where the changes are clear. I think we did a good job with our boys regarding race and race relations. They have friends of all types. We dont know what type of girls they will bring home to meet us as girlfriends-black-white-hispanic-indian-japanese-korean, and arabic. I think i have covered the different types of girls they have dated ;)

Now if they can only find some nice jewish girls to settle down with and give me some healthy grandsons to spoil rotten :lol::lol:

We covered the race thing with them from when they were young, they were brought up right. They know if i ever catch them using any type of racially offensive speech or engaging in racially offensive behavior, THAT WOULD BE AN OPEN INVITATION TO MY WRATH!! I guarantee you, they dont want that > :) Parents can do a lot to affect the outcome of thier children in a positive manner. As for the older folks, the banana peel is close at hand.....

The points Jeebus made seem logical to me. But I think we are getting caught up in semantics. We really should look at the intent and, in this thread, with respect to yellow, brown, black, or whatever - there has been no malice whatsoever.

there has been no malice on his part yes i agree. but if it offends the person you're talking to do you still say it?

there has been no malice on his part yes i agree. but if it offends the person you're talking to do you still say it?

That's just it - if you know it offends the person you're talking to, then no. If you think it could offend them, then no as well.

Guest Marty

Racism is a flaw in our society maybe one day our great great grandchildren will learn from what all of us went through from all sides of the race spectrum.

You make a good point that's continually over looked: racism can come from all colors, not just white people.

Although this is true, this is also too much of a relativist statement for me. While each and every group can have racist individuals or even group, we should also be talking here about institutionalized racism as evidenced by the government or corporations, but also including landlords, restaurants and shops in affluent areas, i.e. the institutions and places everybody aspires to move up to (aka Middle-Class American Dream). Civil rights litigation has changed a lot in the past few decades, but one can't say it's completely gone. (I remember an old Jewish lady telling me when she applied for a corporate job in NYC, they wouldn't hire her with her obviously Jewish maiden name, but when she reapplied with her her husband's Anglicized married name, they'd take her right away. This kind of thing would be much harder today.)

Interesting related info: I was shocked after being in Philly last Fall (my first visit) for several days, and experienced outright anomosity for speaking Spanish in a public place - on a cell phone - outside, mind you. I was trying to order some food at a street sandwitch place, and was bluntly told to "speak American", even though I was not talking to the dude taking my order. This happend twice, in somewhat different forms, but twice. I was talking on the cell phone to my mother-in-law while waiting in line to order, when it was about to be my turn to order, and that is when the "comment" was made from the person taking the order, before I even said anything to the guy. This really isnt racism per-se, but it has innuendoes of it. Anyways, my point really is not to agree or dissagree with it, because as an American, I can speak whatever damn language I please: English, Spanish, Binary, C++, whatever. And the friendly sandwicth-order-taker can say anything he likes too, as he prooved that day. My point is that this kind of stuff is not a Houston thing. It is not a Texas thing. It it can happen in Philly, and New York, Chicago, LA...anywere. I guess I have a problem with the title of this thread, mabye. Considering how long I have lived in Texas and Houston, statistically, this kind of thing rarely happens here, at least to me. Anyways, that's my rant and I'm sticking to it.

[suddenly, 2112 gets on his Donkey, and rides away into the sunset]

[sound of galluping Donkey]

Guest Marty

I was called a blue eyed devil once by a 60 - 70 year old black lady when tried to help her with something. i was a stocker at Krogers on the north side in the 90's. I ask my stock controller "Black" what it meant and he said she gave you disrespect then i made a point to help her find stuff when she entered in the store but eventual she move on to a other store. I was a great sacker also there was a couple of Hispanic family's that belong to a church I use to sack about 60-100 milk gallons of milk for them most of the other sackers would act like don't exist but i would wave my hand at them and say i got you.

BTW im a 32 year old white honkey with Hazel eyes: :lol:

Interesting related info: I was shocked after being in Philly last Fall (my first visit) for several days, and experienced outright anomosity for speaking Spanish in a public place - on a cell phone - outside, mind you. I was trying to order some food at a street sandwitch place, and was bluntly told to "speak American", even though I was not talking to the dude taking my order. This happend twice, in somewhat different forms, but twice. I was talking on the cell phone to my mother-in-law while waiting in line to order, when it was about to be my turn to order, and that is when the "comment" was made from the person taking the order, before I even said anything to the guy. This really isnt racism per-se, but it has innuendoes of it. Anyways, my point really is not to agree or dissagree with it, because as an American, I can speak whatever damn language I please: English, Spanish, Binary, C++, whatever. And the friendly sandwicth-order-taker can say anything he likes too, as he prooved that day. My point is that this kind of stuff is not a Houston thing. It is not a Texas thing. It it can happen in Philly, and New York, Chicago, LA...anywere. I guess I have a problem with the title of this thread, mabye. Considering how long I have lived in Texas and Houston, statistically, this kind of thing rarely happens here, at least to me. Anyways, that's my rant and I'm sticking to it.

[suddenly, 2112 gets on his Donkey, and rides away into the sunset]

[sound of galluping Donkey]

Did you go to Genos Steaks (really cheesesteaks) in South Philly? They have signs all over the place that you must order in English and speak in English. They have a big picture of a police officer that was killed by a Muslim immigrant. They even have T-shirts that espouse both speaking only in English and deportation of Muslims.

I don't think any restaurant in Texas could get away with such ridiculous stuff.

I was called a blue eyed devil once by a 60 - 70 year old black lady when tried to help her with something. i was a stocker at Krogers on the north side in the 90's. I ask my stock controller "Black" what it meant and he said she gave you disrespect then i made a point to help her find stuff when she entered in the store but eventual she move on to a other store. I was a great sacker also there was a couple of Hispanic family's that belong to a church I use to sack about 60-100 milk gallons of milk for them most of the other sackers would act like don't exist but i would wave my hand at them and say i got you.

BTW im a 32 year old white honkey with Hazel eyes: :lol:

Unfortunately, racism is a two-edged sword: cuts both ways. HUMANS LISTEN.... let's get along... dammit! B)

Did you go to Genos Steaks (really cheesesteaks) in South Philly? They have signs all over the place that you must order in English and speak in English. They have a big picture of a police officer that was killed by a Muslim immigrant. They even have T-shirts that espouse both speaking only in English and deportation of Muslims.

I don't think any restaurant in Texas could get away with such ridiculous stuff.

[Approaching sound of gallups as 2112 returns on his donkey]

That's exactly where I went!! I also went to the other one, thier competition, cati-corner to it.

The cheesesteaks were pretty good.

Did you go to Genos Steaks (really cheesesteaks) in South Philly? They have signs all over the place that you must order in English and speak in English.

That's really stupid. Aren't they in the middle of a large Italian neighborhood? Most businesses try to cater to their customers, not expect the opposite. :wacko:

That's really stupid. Aren't they in the middle of a large Italian neighborhood? Most businesses try to cater to their customers, not expect the opposite. :wacko:

Google search: Geno's Steaks racist

Results: about 11,600

Appears that others have noticed Geno's attitudes too. And yes, they're really stupid.

I can't believe Italian-Americans in Philly are telling folks to speak English! Last time I checked, "youse" wasn't in the English dictionary.

BTW- 1st post here, I'd expected my first post to discuss something architectually related to Houston, oh well! ;)

As i've said before, Houston might be one the most diverse cities, but also one of the most socially segregrated cities also.

A lot of diverse Houston public schools seem like salad bowls at times. I notice that many kids of the same race at my school sometimes socialize with kids of the same race at lunch. Of course, I receive no animosity when I talk to African-American and Hispanic kids; my school has zero racial tension and I get along fine with all ethnic groups. It's just that, for some reason, the kids at my school tend to "salad bowl" themselves.

Archived