What kind of wood is this?

rps324

I was checking out a big party palace a few doors down from Stolitx that is currently on the market. It has a ballroom with a parquet dance floor underneath an oversized skylight, and a sort of tiki-inspired wood partition that divides the ballroom from a separate billiards room. I can't figure out if this is cypress, redwood or what. The downstairs rear hall was paneled in some kind of rustic wood that I think may be the same kind, I just can't figure out what it is, and I think they used it to trim some of the exterior, but painted over it.

Does anybody know what that stuff is? I have never seen anything like it.

It is used on the stair rail

IMG_1364.jpg

and as a partition between the billiards and ball rooms.

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

gotta love the martini bar :wub:

IMG_1362.jpg

No idea about the wood. Is that original? I'd put the date at '69-'71.

I was never much into that plastic fantastic look but I appreciate the timewarp aspect.

Looks more like carved Teak wood, because it is so smooth, and the color. Might have been stained to look that way, but I have some Teak wood pieces, and I seem to remember my grandmother having something similar to that look. She had it done in the early 60's.

rps, in the mls listing from the sale before the wood type was listed in the mls description. Unfortunately I don't have the print out of it around any longer.

It wasn't teak and cypress doesn't really sound like it either from memory.

It has the look of Cypress, the heartwood and sapwood variations look correct for Cypress plus it is a native wood to the area.

"Cypress has many exterior and interior uses. Cypress heartwood is extremely decay and insect resistant due to the naturally occurring preservative known as cypressine. It is an ideal choice for house construction, docks, beams, decks, flooring, paneling and siding. Cypress can also be milled to make doors, windows, rails, and even caskets."

I know what it is...I do. I have seen it before. Yes, I have.

Major problem. Cannot for the life of me remember 100%.

Guess #1 - Cypress

Guess #2 - Teak

Guess #3 - Rosewood

Guess #4 - Mahogany

I really want to know what it is.

I want that house, too.

Is this on HAR.com??? Would love to see it. Don't worry, can't buy it. Already own a house in Clear Lake.

The wood look very red to be cypress. Could it be Texas cedar.

I was thinking cedar as well, but it usually has lots of knots in it. Closeups of the grain will help a lot!

It has the look of Cypress, the heartwood and sapwood variations look correct for Cypress plus it is a native wood to the area.

I don't recall seeing much color variation in the cypress I've seen, then again, it wasn't stained.

Remember it would be Cypress from 60 or so years ago, old growth. Plus if it is the Pecky Cypress version it would not be the same as generic cut Cypress. Similar to any figured wood to regular cut.

I just guess my problem with it being cypress is that I have never seen any cypress with the blond marbling or two tone so to speak. Most Cypress is blended. The Only red/blond marbling I have ever found was Cedars, Exotic Rosewoods like Cocobolo or Brazilian Teak.

I was thinking cedar as well, but it usually has lots of knots in it. Closeups of the grain will help a lot!

I don't recall seeing much color variation in the cypress I've seen, then again, it wasn't stained.

I really don't think it's stained either, just cleared.

It very well could be a very gnarled Native Cedar that was being peeled and this was a freak by-product of the process, it is highly unique that is certain.

Brazilian Teak or Cocobolo Rosewood. I lean more to the Cocobolo Rosewood because of the grain.

ding, ding, ding I think we may have a winner. I believe Cocobolo was the wood listed in the mls listing when this house was last on the market. I'd still check with neighbors, but that triggering my memory. I remember that it wasn't something I had ever heard of before like the other woods.

ding, ding, ding I think we may have a winner. I believe Cocobolo was the wood listed in the mls listing when this house was last on the market. I'd still check with neighbors, but that triggering my memory. I remember that it wasn't something I had ever heard of before like the other woods.

Glad I could be of service...................

Cocobolo is dark redish brown and black. Plus it is extremely expensive and would have been very hard to find boards in that size.

Actually Cocobolo Rosewood comes in various shades, the darker range you are referring to is common of Southern Costa Rica. You can get lighter more marbled variations from Peru and Northern Brazil. The Blackening is controled through the soil content in which it is native to.

cocobolo202520won20on20ebay20web.jpg

Here is an example of Peruvian Cocobolo.

cocobolo203920web.jpg

This is a more traditional Costa Rican "Highlands" version. I have this set book matched to flame cut to make Mandolin backs. (I forgot to mention I am somewhat of a Luthier)

cocobolo203820web.jpg

This is the lowland darker variety, great for making guitar necks out of.

Today getting larger pieces is a pain but no where near impossible. If this house is from the 60's you could get logs back then rather easily via Mexico. This process used in this house appears to be a by-product of the peeling process, to get to the choice heartwood. I cannot sat definately if it's Cocobolo or not without seeing it in person, I was simply expressing my observations and what I thought it might be.

cocobolo20crotch204b20web.jpg

cocobolo204020web.jpg

cocobolo20veneer204b20web.jpg

cocobolo203820s5020q6020plh.jpg

Actually Cocobolo Rosewood comes in various shades, the darker range you are referring to is common of Southern Costa Rica. You can get lighter more marbled variations from Peru and Northern Brazil. The Blackening is controled through the soil content in which it is native to.

I this wood soft or hard wood?

Those last pics look just like it. I am good about identifying trees that are still living. But i never seen anything like that. I'm glade the mystery is solved. B)

It is listed on MLS, 8103 Glenvalley at the corner of Santa Elena, but no I am not buying it. I am still trying to piece together one I bought for myself about 2 blocks from there.

I would say I wish I had seen it before I bought mine, but I say that about almost every new one I come across :P

Archived