Haif - Sold its Soul

Montrose1100

I've noticed the new wave of ads recently... "Hit the Pinata 3 times to win a FREE Digital Camera!" :closedeyes: Oh, and "Which Lips are Angelina's?

No big deal, It just might take me a little extra time to reply on forums because I like to play the games. I'm guessing this is the first time we've gotten these type?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could at least get the orbitz ads. They are sports oriented. Thump football, homerun derby. If they start turning into the ones where you knock George Bush out, then I will have to question my loyalty to this site. :closedeyes: ;)

Kind of on topic but slightly off I have restored and updated a home in Broadmoor a few blocks southeast of Eastwood and would be intrested in advertising it on HAIF. How would I accomplish this or any suggestions for me? I am thinking of an ad when clicked will take you to a webpage I would create with the floorplan, pictures, and information on the home.

Advice or comments?

Thanks all,

Scharpe St Guy

Sorry to disappoint, but HAIF hasn't sold its soul. It's just the summer doldrums.

The company in California that supplies the advertisements you see on HAIF is under instructions not to show any ads that pay below a certain ammount. Their computers show the highest paying ads first. So, the longer you're on HAIF the more low-paying ads you'll see. It's pretty easy to tell the high paying ads from the low-paying ones.

But the fact is that this is summer -- the season when it's hardest to fill ad space because advertisers know that people spend less time at the computer, and the advertisers are gearing up for their Christmas season spending cycles. That means the ads that are left are lower-paying.

The low-paying advertisers (and everyone else) know this, so they raise the amount they're willing to pay to get a little broader exposure for not much risk in terms of money because they know there's fewer higher-paying ads to compete with.

So... It's seasonal. Nothing has changed at HAIF. In fact, HAIF's minimum ad price is significantly higher than most internet sites for the very reason that we'd like to keep the riff raff out whenever possible.

Interestingly, the best paying ads we ever had here was for Six Flags, but those disappeared when they announced the closure of Astroworld.

Thank you for taking money out of my pocket, and away from the expansion of this web site. Strangely, some selfish people feel that they should get something for nothing. You appear to be one of those people.

:mellow:

does it help then that groovehouse creates topics and

contributes content which may bring folks to the site?

or if already here keeps them here longer to see more

adverts?

:mellow:

does it help then that groovehouse creates topics and

contributes content which may bring folks to the site?

or if already here keeps them here longer to see more

adverts?

A very interesting point.

• 4 weeks later...
I've noticed the new wave of ads recently... "Hit the Pinata 3 times to win a FREE Digital Camera!" :closedeyes: Oh, and "Which Lips are Angelina's?

No big deal, It just might take me a little extra time to reply on forums because I like to play the games. I'm guessing this is the first time we've gotten these type?

The "Ads by Goooooogle" shown as part of the website's headers have been producing some really odd ads for me lately. The most recent is shown below

Sausage Ringtones

Send this ringtone to your cellphone at no charge

I don't have a cell phone, but clicked on it anyway to see what it would show me. Just a nondescript page run by one of the big cell phone companies that provided links to several ringtoneproviders. Bait and switch!

The "Ads by Goooooogle" shown as part of the website's headers have been producing some really odd ads for me lately. The most recent is shown below

I don't have a cell phone, but clicked on it anyway to see what it would show me. Just a nondescript page run by one of the big cell phone companies that provided links to several ringtoneproviders. Bait and switch!

i would be afraid to click on sausage anything on-line, especially at work. :mellow:

If they start turning into the ones where you knock George Bush out, then I will have to question my loyalty to this site. :closedeyes: ;)

I will stop any day to kick Bush's butt in that banner, that is my favorite one! :P

• 1 month later...
Sorry to disappoint, but HAIF hasn't sold its soul. It's just the summer doldrums.

It's October now, and I'm seeing adds that seem to be even worse than those from back in Summer. Text-only 'Ads by Google' seem to have taken over.

Every once in a while, I'll see an ad for a PAC that opposes Rick Perry's TTC concept. If there's one thing that I can't stand more than resources wasted by government decree, it is senseless xenophobia used for political propagandization of an issue.

It's October now, and I'm seeing adds that seem to be even worse than those from back in Summer. Text-only 'Ads by Google' seem to have taken over.

Every once in a while, I'll see an ad for a PAC that opposes Rick Perry's TTC concept. If there's one thing that I can't stand more than resources wasted by government decree, it is senseless xenophobia used for political propagandization of an issue.

Get a subscription it will Knock your socks off and the ads.

• 6 months later...
I just got one of those ads that comes out of nowhere and crawls across my screen right into the middle of it. Asked me to take a survey. Didn't bother me that much. I just hope I don't see it all the time.

That's not good. I have a feeling who's responsible for it, but if it happens again, try to note the address it links to so I can take care of it.

Guest Marty
I just got one of those ads that comes out of nowhere and crawls across my screen right into the middle of it. Asked me to take a survey. Didn't bother me that much. I just hope I don't see it all the time.

I saw that too 2 days ago I thought it was my computer's browser that got compromised. I do not view the xxx sites and don't open e mail unless I know for sure who sending it. But remember I had a Semi Annual subscription so i saw things different from everyone else except the Moderators and editor.

That's not good. I have a feeling who's responsible for it, but if it happens again, try to note the address it links to so I can take care of it.

Thank you for always keeping the best interest of the online community in mind! ^_^

We need a balance like that and we can do with out the overly intrusive crawling ads.

It isn't a survey like you described, but McDonald's ad for their southern-style chicken sandwich will crawl across a quarter of the screen if your cursor gets dragged over it for any reason.

Archived