JUMBOTRONs

Times Square has at least 10 jumbotron tvs within it, and there's many other cities worldwide that have them as well, but they're much more spread out throughout the city compared to NYC, where all seem confined to Times Square. I'd LOVE to see some jumbotrons downtown, including at least one at Pavillions, and perhaps two or three around the downtown park, Main Street, and Bayou Place.

Times Square has at least 10 jumbotron tvs within it, and there's many other cities worldwide that have them as well, but they're much more spread out throughout the city compared to NYC, where all seem confined to Times Square. I'd LOVE to see some jumbotrons downtown, including at least one at Pavillions, and perhaps two or three around the downtown park, Main Street, and Bayou Place.

And downtown Chicago and San Francisco don't have any downtown Jumbotrons and they are, in my opinion, far more beautiful cities than NYC.

Houston just isn't a "Jumbotron" downtown kind of a place. Think of the goal being class and taste, not crass and gaudy (NYC/LV).

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by scottf

I agree with Scott... we just don't need them. And I don't see the point in bringing up Times Square. It seems people want a jumbotron in order to be like NYC. Nowhere else is like NYC, I don't see the point in imitating it.

Houston isn't the place for a highly concentrated area of jumbotrons. If we did have that I would suggest we name it Poser Square.

That being said....

Last October during the WorldSeries, being able to watch the game projected on the side of the building around Main and Prarie from arooftop bar surrounded by thousands of screaming fans was Quite the experience.

I think One Texas sized jumbotron on the side of this building, for special events, aimed towards the Main street party area would be nice.

I much rather see one, gigantic and practical instead of copying NYC and having a dozen smaller ones just used for advertisements and flashy lights.

^But maybe one or two globotrons at the Pavillions wouldn't hurt.

If you want to just put a few up for advertising, by all means, throw em up on the pvaillions.

It would be tacky, and disingenuous.

Anything at the Pavillions would be trying to imitate TimesSquare and therefore pointless in my book.

The only area we have thats even anywhere close to Times Square (and still nowhere close at all really)would be Main street where the 3-4 blocks of bars are. And even this area has been sagging compared to a yr ago.

If we're going to put up a big jumbotron, I say put it where it could strengthen an area.. where there are at least outdoor areas that people gather.

This area of downtown has older brick buildings, some with giant windowless faces... that would be perfect for a jumbotron that serves the purpose I would like.

And downtown Chicago and San Francisco don't have any downtown Jumbotrons and they are, in my opinion, far more beautiful cities than NYC.

Houston just isn't a "Jumbotron" downtown kind of a place. Think of the goal being class and taste, not crass and gaudy (NYC/LV).

Just my 2 cents.

It can be done in a classy way. I've never been to Vegas, so I can't really speak on their setup, but in NYC the jumbotrons are all in a confined area which is something that probably wouldn't work with Houston's style.

I was thinking something more like what I saw in Korea, where you'd find one or two around areas where a crowd would normally walk, like a plaza, or at a busy intersection in place of a billboard. And to pay for the tvs, a company would sponsor it by putting their logo permantly on the screen frame.

Another place ideal would be that building on Main Street that had a projection screen of the Astros games against the Cardinals during last year's NLCS. I think they should have a permanent plasma jumbotron on that same wall. It wouldn't look gaudy there in my opinion. Or one across the street from Houston Pavillions, especially if they were to put an ESPNZone there, and they showed local sports and the US national team on the screen live...

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

It can be done in a classy way. I've never been to Vegas, so I can't really speak on their setup, but in NYC the jumbotrons are all in a confined area which is not something that probably wouldn't work with Houston's style.

Another place ideal would be that building on Main Street that had a projection screen of the Astros games against the Cardinals during last year's NLCS. I think they should have a permanent plasma jumbotron on that same wall. It wouldn't look gaudy there in my opinion. Or one across the street from Houston Pavillions, especially if they were to put an ESPNZone there, and they showed local sports and the US national team on the screen live...

OH SNAP!! PAGE 25!!!!!!!! :blush:

DJ... i agree with eveything you just said.... I agreed with it about 3 posts ago to be precise :)

And your "I was thinking something more like what I saw in Korea, where you'd find one or two around areas where a crowd would normally walk, like a plaza, or at a busy intersection in place of a billboard. And to pay for the tvs, a company would sponsor it by putting their logo permantly on the screen frame."

Is the exact reason why I think the pavillions is the wrong place.

Edited by Highway6

The last thing we need is Jumbotrons.

We already have 1000s of Dumbotrons (billboards) that litter the city.

Why add more blight?

There were lots of billboards in Asia that were lit up and original. They were actually interesting to look at. I'm surprised that isn't done here, 'cause not only do some of these Houston billboards look tacky, but it's not something I pay attention to. If they weren't eyesores, then everyone would appreciate 'em a little more, right?

But back to Pavillions, I think not only should they hae a jumbotron or two across the street from Pavillions, but I think they should have patio/balcony style settings for some of the restaurants that would directly overlook the tv(s).

It wouldn't look bad if there was a certain Houston-originality to it.

I agree with DJ, Houston needs a little more flash. I'm not saying be too gaudy or anything like that but come on! We wonder why Houston fails to grab more attention by other cities and media, sometimes we have to show off a little flash. I don't think it would necessarily work in the Pavilions but other places downtown such as: Main Street Square or the New Urban Park.

Its a shame we don't have the right kind of billboards for our fantastic city. I think it would be neat to see *good* adverstising on large billboards and such even Downtown. But there is a strict sign/logo ordinance. Which is also a good thing, but Downtown is just so dark. (Sorry, I'm going off topic for a tid bit.)

Maybe the Pavillions will help light up the place? It's always so dark. Last night, the Chase Bank Building (Gulf Building, etc.) wasn't lit up. I almost didn't see it. It's a shame!

The last thing we need is Jumbotrons.

We already have 1000s of Dumbotrons (billboards) that litter the city.

Why add more blight?

I agree. This isn't much different than billboard blight or the tacky signs on buses in some cities. Jumbotrons might work for NYC and other cities in Asia and Europe but Houston can do without them.

I agree. This isn't much different than billboard blight or the tacky signs on buses in some cities. Jumbotrons might work for NYC and other cities in Asia and Europe but Houston can do without them.

A la NYC, I agree, it doesn't work here.

But Size, number of, function, location... all factors that if done right could allow it to work here.

Trying to transplant what new york has here is not the answer.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will!), but isn't one of the main reasons that they have such billboards in NYC, Tokyo, and a few other cities is the fact that they don't have ROOM for the typical billboards we have here?

Plus there is also the financial consideration as well. They want to be able to have as many eyeballs looking at their ad as possible and I don't think it would be feasible for them.

houston's billboards are inexpensive places to put ads on. that's why there are cheap looking billboards everywhere. hence, big cities (dense, too) don't have local = cheap (mostly) ads because all billboards in those cities are expensive to rent.

Edited by Spencer Street

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will!), but isn't one of the main reasons that they have such billboards in NYC, Tokyo, and a few other cities is the fact that they don't have ROOM for the typical billboards we have here?

Plus there is also the financial consideration as well. They want to be able to have as many eyeballs looking at their ad as possible and I don't think it would be feasible for them.

I do believe that's wrong :P

I lived in Daegu, the 3rd largest city in Korea. You've probably never heard of it. Yet I counted at least 20 jumbotrons throughout the city. Other cities like Busan, Daejeon, Gwangju, and Suwon also have tv systems as well. It's not just major cities like NYC, Seoul, Tokyo, and London that have them, which I assumed before I first went overseas.

FInancially, I think it would benefit the company that sponsored Houston's first jumbotron. What's the point on putting your phone number on a billboard where people are driving 60+MPH, when you could put it permamently at a pedestrian center? Which one would grab your attention more: seeing a News2Houston billboard on the freeway, or watching News2Houston on a big-screen within the Galleria live?

People are attracted to moving lights. Kinda like deer...

I lived in Daegu, the 3rd largest city in Korea. You've probably never heard of it. Yet I counted at least 20 jumbotrons throughout the city. Other cities like Busan, Daejeon, Gwangju, and Suwon also have tv systems as well.

he speaks the truth. i've been to s. korea several times on vacation. in fact, the first time i went to s. korea i stayed in daegu. it's a vibrant city and the self proclaimed fashion capital of asia. and yes, jumbotrons dot the landscape and are scattered throughout the city as they are in seoul and suwon as well.

i would welcome the addition of jumbotrons in houston.

Edited by elecpharm

Could someone please direct me to this outdoor pedestrian center in Houston?

The reason we don't have Jumbotrons is that there are too few people to see them. Those are for people who walk. Billboards are for people who drive. Houston has people who drive. Cities don't put these things up, advertisers do. They only do so if there's an expected return on their investment.

The messages on billboards are much simpler, so as to be communicated at car speeds. They are generally ugly, I agree. They aren't cheap, though.

Could someone please direct me to this outdoor pedestrian center in Houston?

The reason we don't have Jumbotrons is that there are too few people to see them. Those are for people who walk. Billboards are for people who drive. Houston has people who drive. Cities don't put these things up, advertisers do. They only do so if there's an expected return on their investment.

The messages on billboards are much simpler, so as to be communicated at car speeds. They are generally ugly, I agree. They aren't cheap, though.

Main Street Square is the best current example that currently exists today, but the upcoming downtown park, and Houston Pavillions are probably going to be pedestrian magnets once opened, all three are what I'm referring to.

Having some Uptown, including one in the Galleria someplace wouldn't be too bad either...

Putting jumbotrons in view of the new park is a terrible idea. That would be the ultimate finger to a nice addition to Downtown. Main St. Square gets probably 1/1000 or less of the traffic that would organically generate these jumbotrons. Again, the ones I think you want are the ones that grow naturally -- meaning the support for them is there and the numbers work before they are built. To build these things and hope that a pedestrian environment grows up around them is so Dallas...meaning it's tacky.

Houston Pavillions, I agree, may offer an opportunity. Again, I'd like to see advertisers do them, rather than just some Disney-fied boards done as "urban design".

Uptown is probably a worse pedestrian environment than Bryan-College Station. Next time you see anyone walking outside in Uptown, please call the police -- they've been carjacked.

Edited by dalparadise

Uptown is probably a worse pedestrian environment than Bryan-College Station. Next time you see anyone walking outside in Uptown, please call the police -- they've been carjacked.

Although there is a huge electronic sign (I'm not sure if it qualifies as "jumbotron") on that fake Renaissance gatehouse in front of that "Uptown Plaza" strip center. That thing always cracks me up.

While pointing the finger at someone else, your thumb is pointing back at you.

Wow, Ali G punked HAIF!

Jumbotrons would be awesome downtown, they are just the kinds of things needed to liven it up. And beggars can't be choosers. Speaking of which, if nothing else it can be a great way to entertain the homeless and lure them out of the new parks.

Edited by dp2

Wow, Ali G punked HAIF!

:angry2: Oh, so you're gonna dis him with MY HAIF picture, huh?! The nerve, dp2, the nerve :lol:

Putting jumbotrons in view of the new park is a terrible idea.

Actually, I've seen jumbotrons in parks, and that worked perfectly! The tv would only be turned on for big games or events like the WBC, championships, or World Cup. For Houston, it'd be perfect for Astros, Comets, Rockets, Dynamo, and Texans games. Plus local news.

Tired of opening the Houston Pavalion thread and reading about dumb Jumbotrons I started this thread. If you can madorator, PLEASE move the half page worth of Jumbotron beckering here, so that the HP can be about HP thanks

DJ V Lawrence Yesterday, 10:46 PM

Actually, I've seen jumbotrons in parks, and that worked perfectly! The tv would only be turned on for big games or events like the WBC, championships, or World Cup. For Houston, it'd be perfect for Astros, Comets, Rockets, Dynamo, and Texans games. Plus local news.

Edited by JGraspo

If there were a Dumbotron how many of you cockroaches plan to go stare at the pretty neon on a regular basis?

It could be be like the urban fountain of youth for you Dumbotron lovers. Just go and bask in the urbanity of flashy neon lights.

Neon lights

Shimmering neon lights

And at the fall of night

The city is made of light

I dream of you

With me tonight

We're all alone

Under the neon lights

And walking home

You're by my side

the neon lights

Are in our eyes

Thanks subdude :D

If there were a Dumbotron how many of you cockroaches plan to go stare at the pretty neon on a regular basis?

I stare at a screen at work, watch plenty of TV(news and some shows) at home. When I do watch TV at home I just turn it off or change the channel when the comercials come on. Why, when I want to get away from TV by walking around and seeing my loveley city would I want to be bombarded by ADs on the side of buildings. Yall all know that Jim Adler, Hilton Furniture guy,Matress Mack and other awfull companies will buy the airtime and ram there ads down our throats. What are we suppose to walk around with our eyes closed :lol:

Just what we need a 50ft :rolleyes:

mack.jpg

I have walked through Picadilly Circus so many times, I don't even look at the silly signs. I'm more worried about getting hit by a car.

Maybe they are for the folks on the routemasters. Not sure, but I do think it's funny how Dallas plans to put in advertising before there is even a need. It's a wee bit backwards if you ask me.

01217-1.jpg

It could be be like the urban fountain of youth for you Dumbotron lovers. Just go and bask in the urbanity of flashy neon lights.

I think you may be getting the wrong idea as to what I'm referring to. You seem to be thinking of the neon billboards in Picadelly or Times Square.

Instead, imagine a big plasma t.v. screen with a small company logo on top, but no flashy lights surrounding it. It'd be like a permanent viewing party location.