Bayou On The Bend: Multifamily At 5201 Memorial Dr.

I lived in Park Memorial Condos, across the street from these apartments in 2001, when they flooded. I've watched them build this thing since that time. It has to be the slowest construction project in history. They built Chase Tower's 71 floors in 2 years. These 6 stories have taken 5.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but it caught my eye. I used to run by this place and it seemed like they would never finish it. I believe they have been open and leasing for a few months now.

I drove past Bayou on the Bend on may way home Monday, October 16, after an entire day of severe weather and flooding. The parking area, which is located under the building, was completely under water. The bayou was full and the garage was flooded, deep enough that there were construction dumpsters floating around. It's a good thing no one lives there yet, or there would have been cars floating down the bayou.

I have lived in the Rice military area for almost 3 years, and I have seen the Buffalo Bayou reach this level 3 or 4 times, at least once a year. This place is doomed and I don't think there is anything they can do about it.

This is a description of the project from the Houston Business Journal:

"Nestled in the trees along the bayou, the 40-year-old property has been damaged multiple times from heavy rains. The lower level of the complex has suffered so much flood damage that it is no longer habitable. But Dilick says he has settled on a construction technique that will raise the living quarters out of the flood plain."

That's fantasic, except, all the parking is still deep in that floodplain. If that palce ever fills up, it's going to be ugly the next the bayou rises up and you have 242 units full of people who cars are underwater or possibly washed away, or worse, someone drowns in the elevator.

BAD IDEA!

• 2 weeks later...
I drove past Bayou on the Bend on may way home Monday, October 16, after an entire day of severe weather and flooding. The parking area, which is located under the building, was completely under water. The bayou was full and the garage was flooded, deep enough that there were construction dumpsters floating around. It's a good thing no one lives there yet, or there would have been cars floating down the bayou.

I drove by when it was flooded too, and thought the same thing. But a few days later (and dryer) I looked more closely -- the area under the building isn't the parking area. The parking area goes up the side of the building, all the way to the 6th floor (and as far as I can tell it starts 1 or 2 stories above ground). I think most if not all cars would have been safe there after all. And if I lived there, I think I'd make it a habit to park on the higher floors (and keep keep some extra water & non-perishables in the storage closet).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the place. I think they could have done much better with the architecture. But to me it looks like they've solved the flooding problem in all but the rarest of flooding events.

• 11 months later...
  • The title was changed to Bayou On The Bend Apartments
  • The title was changed to Bayou On The Bend: Multifamily At 5201 Memorial Dr.

Archived