Moving To Houston

sohomod

"Oh yeah.. The biggest culture shock is going to be the fact that nothing is within "walking distance" here - no matter how close it is!"

Oh no... what I'm most worried about. I haven't driven in 20 years, since I moved to NYC. It's actually the main reason why we're looking at the Heights. Have the impression that one can go about one's daily life (shopping, lunch, errands, etc.) w/o a car? Or is that a delusion?

We may have to forget MCM under $200 if that's not possible. Where else would one find a reasonably attractive home in a reasonably safe and convenient neighborhood? All the cheap "traditional" French/Tudor/unidentifiable other" construction is really getting us down on HAR. Very few contemporaries that we can see, although I've found a coupole in an area called Ponderosa Forest.... or is that also ghetto? Very confusing for us to see photos of a house with big yard and trees and hear that it's a bad neighborhood. Seems so counterintuitive to us, coming from NYC.

So, you haven't driven in 20 years? No problem at all, you WILL fit right in ! Just remember to wave if someone happens to let you into traffic on the freeways, it might be me. ^_^

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can provide insight from living in Memorial Bend. First off, the schools are some of the best in Houston - Spring Branch Independent School District and zoned to Rummel Creek, Memorial Middle and Memorial High School. From a walking standpoint, you can walk to Town & Country Village - Randall's, Walgreen's, plenty of stores (Restoration Hardware, The Gap, Banana Republic, Barnes & Noble, Bed Bath & Beyond) and a few restaurants. You can walk/bike from the neighborhood to Terry Hershey Park (about 10+ miles of trails along Buffalo Bayou) and playgrounds at Rummel Creek Elementary and Bendwood Park are close, as well.

Now... the issue is price but if you watch carefully, something might come up at a moment's notice. I suspect you won't be the only one looking for a mod in the Bend, though. We live in more of a ranch style house even though we wanted MCM.

so I may be in for a rude shock as far as proximity to stores, libraries, YMCAs, etc. So I'm thinking the closer in the better.

It's almost quite the opposite in Houston. espeically in your price range. The burbs quite often have more than the central city.

And as far as the Heights goes, lets just say they get toatlly excited when a second-rate Thai restaurant opens. They are shopping and eating challenged if you ask me.

My recommendation is to go suburban. Especially with children and a budget of $200k. You can get a nice new big home with yard, etc and nice public schools for that. Katy is a nice option with access to the Mills Mall, etc.

Car is a must. Driving in Houston can be horrible with the ever-going expansion of our freeway system, but it can be really enjoyable because there are so many "villages" to go to, where you can park and walk without problem. Houston is very hodge podge, but most of the people that move here from other places never move away. You have to live here to understand that.

If you move from SoHo to Katy, you'll be miserable. Freaking miserable.

We live in the Heights. There are plenty of peripheral neighborhoods around here that are up and coming. We would have loved a nice mid-century ranch as well, but have a bunglow. Traditional on the outside; mod on the inside. That's what we had to do.

Glenbrook does sound pretty good for you, now that I hear you're at least open to the idea of driving a bit.

Your statements about cultural and urban amenities, diversity and opportunities leading you to Houston made me recall why I came here 17 years ago. It's a sentiment most people from outside this area don't understand until they actually spend some time here. Even people from nearby places like Austin and Dallas often don't get it...or pretend not to.

I hope our city lives up to your expectations. If you find it faltering, rest assured it will come around eventually. Our strength is our people and our absolute desire to will this city to greatness against what seems to be a national conspiracy to keep us down.

It's encouraging that, every so often, someone "they" haven't gotten to yet gets through.

What I always recommend to anyone and everyone moving to Houston: Get an apt, sign a 6 month lease and get to know the city. There is no way to really, truly get the kind of info you need to make an informed decision about where to live from message boards. The concept of "suburbs" in H-town is very different than it is in the northeast. I just don't think you can make a decision and an investment without really being here and seeing/learning the character of the different neighborhoods first hand.

From heat or boredom? If the latter, might the same be true of Glenbrook? Northampton? Memorial NW? They also look far out there...

The whole reason we were looking at the Heights in the first place is b/c my husband is afraid that we'll die of loneliness and isolation. NYC is composed of many little villages, and ours, albeit in the heart of SoHo, is a very friendly and cozy one. We walk everywhere and the man at the fruit stand says Hi, and the people at the grocery store all greet us and offer the baby treats, we know families in the playground by name, and it's a very lovely situation. That said, it is loud, dirty, crowded, and insanely expensive. The competition for schools is unreal (parents standing in line at 3AM for APPLICATIONS) and I can't believe that the kids are unaffected by the craziness. I won't even tell you what we pay to rent a one room apartment here. It is ill. We're looking for a saner, quieter, greener way of life. But not so quiet that we go crazy... :)

The description of Memorial Bend sounds amazing, with all the parks and stores within walking distance. Will look there on HAR. Only a week in Houston... I have a feeling we're going to be running ragged...

By the way, the MCM idea is quickly falling by the wayside. After looking at all the mods in our budget on HAR and then even the ones double our price, my husband has gone from mod renovation enthusiast to mod renovation unenthusiast. With an active toddler and cross-country relocation to deal with, gutting one of those hideous Home Depot-"updated" kitchens and ripping up carpets may be way more than we can handle.

If you're moving here from SoHo, absolutely positively don't move out to Katy, Kingwood, Sugarland, etc. You'll wilt... don't do it.

What I always recommend to anyone and everyone moving to Houston: Get an apt, sign a 6 month lease and get to know the city. There is no way to really, truly get the kind of info you need to make an informed decision about where to live from message boards. The concept of "suburbs" in H-town is very different than it is in the northeast. I just don't think you can make a decision and an investment without really being here and seeing/learning the character of the different neighborhoods first hand.

This is probably the best advice. Take Houston for a test drive and figure out what you want.

We are definitely renting first. As a matter of fact, for our week in Houston we're subletting a little cottage in the Heights to get a feel for the nabe. And we'll do the same when we get to Houston, before we buy. Don't quite understand it all but am definitely starting to understand that the burbs in Houston is entirely different from what I'm used to. Traditional outside/mod interior is what we do here in Soho also. Our loft is in what's called a pre-war here, built around 1910. Pressed tin ceilings nearly 12 feet high, very elaborate crown molding, with an Eames pedestal table and chairs, arc lamp and Scandinavian platform bed. I think the current issue of Dwell Mag has a story on this theme. Do you find that the bungalow is large enough to live in? I'm concerned about the lack of storage, walking in the door directly into the living room. Where do coats and shoes go, for instance? Our loft is small, but high ceilinged and completely open plan, and some of those bungalows look rather claustrophobic by comparison.

If you move from SoHo to Katy, you'll be miserable. Freaking miserable.

We live in the Heights. There are plenty of peripheral neighborhoods around here that are up and coming. We would have loved a nice mid-century ranch as well, but have a bunglow. Traditional on the outside; mod on the inside. That's what we had to do.

glenbrook valley is several miles from downtown/museum district, and so forth, but nowhere near the distance as the suburbs (eight to ten miles versus thirty or so).

to be honest, montrose or heights sounds like a better hit...you would just have to either find somewhere temporary to live while waiting for something in the budget to come up, or settle for something a little different.

i do agree with heights_yankee, though...you might want to consider getting a feel for the city/areas before you buy...

OK, sorry I am not familiar with the mods, so my last post probably didn't help you, but I would definitely say you may want to settle somewhere in the InnerLoop. I hope you already have the mindset that Houston does not have the community feel of the villages in NYC but there are neighborhoods where the quality of life is there. Particularly the Heights, Montrose, Upper Kirby, and some areas around the Musuem District, some of the non generic areas of the city. Montrose has a great collection of brick bungalows and as a whole they make up for some beautiful areas.

montrose or heights
Montrose is not exactly baby central.

Baby freak central, yes. Normal baby central, no by a long shot.

And FYI - not all burbs are 30 miles from downtown.

Particularly the Heights, Montrose, Upper Kirby, and some areas around the Musuem District, some of the non generic areas of the city. Montrose has a great collection of brick bungalows and as a whole they make up for some beautiful areas.

Wasn't their budget $200K?

Show me something in Upper Kirby for $200K. I'd LOVE to see that dump.

i think as long as they don't live right on pacific, there is hope! ^_^

and alot of burbs are that far out or more (like the example i used...). others are only a mere fifteen to twenty (i lived near 290 and fairbanks and it was the worst fifteen miles to drive at ANY time of day).

the point is, it seems that traveling by car is not their cup of tea, and their cup of tea <i>may</i> be found near town/in town

i think as long as they don't live right on pacific, there is hope! ^_^

LOL. Basically my thoughts, but as a whole Montrose is not that bad and I would easily raise a family there. Some of the few children I know that grew up in the area that went to schools such as Sidney Lanier and Lamar who relied on public transportation and all grew up to be very open minded creative individuals.

exactly - i moved from montrose about a year and a half ago, and if it weren't for financial issues (school), i'd go back immediately. and the zoned schools aren't bad (i went to lanier and liked it, and i know alot that graduated from lamar and were happy and functional ^_^ )

But those are cool parts of town, Gulf. Can you even get into the Heights for $200K anymore? Coming from NYC I guess living in guests quarters would be like a mansion.

As far as kids in the Montrose, it's the rare bird that raises a kid in Montrose. Heck, it's the rare bird that even raises a kid in Midtown. You just don't see very many, if any.

Maybe a couple near Cherry Hurts park. But even that is a stretch.

Actually, a friend's sister who lives in Pearland said this. That if you go to the playgrounds they are like graveyards. Not a kid in sight. That would be depressing... I love the casual and random interaction you get in public spaces. I've also heard the same about Hermann, that it is lovely but the main difference b/t Hermann and NYC's Central Park is that Central Park is FULL of people on weekends, families and joggers and picnickers and kids and polka-dancing Ukranians and disco-dancing roller skaters. But that Hermann is barely used. I think that's what's driving us to look at the teeny tiny bungalows in the Heights, an impression that it is more of a neighborhood-y neighborhood. But for $200K you get a 2BR/1BA needing work or with distressing Home Depot "updates" on the edges of the neighborhood, near 610 and/or Shepard, which does not seem ideal.

I understand Coog and yes it would be a challenge and in some areas impossible to find something for that price. As far as the kids that grow up in the area, you have a point on that too. The ones that I knew lived near Cherryhurst, particularly near Elmen, and some of the more neighborhood friendly areas south of Westheimer where the bulk of brick bungalows are. You'll be surprised how many children live in the area when school just gets out and they are walking home from school or waiting for the bus with their classmates on Westheimer or simply going to some corner stores with friends still in their uniforms. Very independent children to say the least compared to the suburbs.

Actually, a friend's sister who lives in Pearland said this. That if you go to the playgrounds they are like graveyards. Not a kid in sight. That would be depressing... I love the casual and random interaction you get in public spaces. I've also heard the same about Hermann, that it is lovely but the main difference b/t Hermann and NYC's Central Park is that Central Park is FULL of people on weekends, families and joggers and picnickers and kids and polka-dancing Ukranians and disco-dancing roller skaters. But that Hermann is barely used. I think that's what's driving us to look at the teeny tiny bungalows in the Heights, an impression that it is more of a neighborhood-y neighborhood. But for $200K you get a 2BR/1BA needing work or with distressing Home Depot "updates" on the edges of the neighborhood, near 610 and/or Shepard, which does not seem ideal.

I'm afraid you won't be able to replicate some of the features you liked so much in New York. Houston is so much unlike New York. Being from Cleveland I was lucky to find the Heights because it replicated the few things I liked about Cleveland. But I'm afraid you won't find much in Houston to replace what you liked in New York. You will have to find some new things unique to Houston to love. That being the case renting for awhile and exploring the city seems like a great idea.

The simple solution is to just be rich! Filthy rich.

I am working on it ;-)

But that Hermann is barely used.

I dunno about that. Every Summer HPD has to limit the number of cars that can enter the park. It's pretty much maxed out. You can't find an open picnic table to save your life.

Do you find that the bungalow is large enough to live in? I'm concerned about the lack of storage, walking in the door directly into the living room. Where do coats and shoes go, for instance?

Coats?? You won't need coats where you're going!

Maybe Oak Forest or Garden Oaks? I think you can still get a decent house for $200K or thereabouts. If you get a house near 43rd, you can walk to the Kroger, Walgreens, libaries, banks and other stores. Although, I have to admit, not too many of the moms in my neighborhood (Garden Oaks), walk down there much. The sidewalk is not the best in some parts, and we are so used to driving everywhere.. I'm showing my suburban roots here...But there are TONS of kids in my neighborhood and in OF, and more people are moving here all the time. Oak Forest elementary is good. Black Middle school and Waltrip High School, not so much. But if you are coming from New York, navigating HISD's magnet program may be no sweat to you.

Lots of artists, musicians, writers (like me) and other creative folks live in Oak Forest and Garden Oaks. Garden Oaks is becoming a little yuppified of late, and is more expensive than it used to be. But every now and then you find a deal. It just depends on how much work you want to put in a house.

This one in GO is small, but cute and looks to be in pretty good shape:

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexdeta...=0&backButton=Y

Search www.har.com and see what you can find for OF!

Do you find that the bungalow is large enough to live in? I'm concerned about the lack of storage, walking in the door directly into the living room. Where do coats and shoes go, for instance? Our loft is small, but high ceilinged and completely open plan, and some of those bungalows look rather claustrophobic by comparison.

Depends on what you are used to. My bungalow is 1360 sq. feet, 2BR/1 Bath. Coat closet is in the hallway right off of the living room. Lots of storage in my utility room and garage, but bedroom closets are a bit weak.

It works well for me, but I have friends that can't understand how I do it, because they live in 3800 sq. foot houses. Each person must decide what works for them.

You got me. :) A lifelong Northerner (from all the way back -- my parents are even North Korean, although of course back then it wasn't its own country). I see that was a silly question. Here where to put all the boots, mittens, hats, scarves and big down coats is always an issue. Hardly anyone in the city (except for the filthy rich, and yes, I do wish I were one of those, just forgot to amass wealth when I was young and childless) has enough storage for all the winter paraphernalia and let's not even get into strollers, little red wagons, tricycles and the like.

That's exciting to hear about Godwin Park (well, not the murder). We have found some possibilities in Westbury and will definitely look into them when we visit. Maybe my 20-month-old daughter will meet your 18-month-old at the park when we're in town!

:lol: That's exactly the kind of question a northerner would ask! I won't say it never gets cold here, but be prepared for mild winters!

As for kid-friendly 'hoods, I'll put in another good word for Westbury. I've got an 18-month-old daughter, and we often take her to nearby Godwin Park in Meyerland (yes, the same Godwin park where a BHS student was recently killed in a botched drug deal, but...) and there are always lots of families with kids there. My section of Westbury is zoned to Kolter elementary, which is allegedly one of the best in HISD.

Well, I'm one of those "odd birds" raising children in Montrose. I have 1.5 and 3 year old girls. We spend lots of time in the numerous parks (especially Hermann) the Children's Museum, Downtown on weekends and the Zoo. I've lived all over town and I have a hard time thinking I would be any better anywhere else right now. I do need something bigger than my current 2 bedroom 1980's condo (have a 3rd child on the way). We might just upgrade to a bigger unit.

(I'm about a block from the Menil Collection you visited.)

Oh and Poe Elem in Montrose is rated rather well, as well.

We live close to Westbury, and I'd vote for this area too (and I'd vote for Robert as your realtor). We chose our house for 3 reasons. #1 We fell in love with our house and it would have taken a mass murderer down the street to talk us out of it. #2 It is very close to the 610 Loop and therefore a very short commute to "THE TOWER" for my wife (I drive out to Sugar Land and there are mostly just cookie cutters out there) and #3 Despite its convenient location, it was still within our price range (about $250K after restoration).

I lived in Houston as a kid, but when we moved back here from Northern CA, we rented for 5 years before buying. But mostly that was because we didn't have enough money to buy. It's hard to know exactly where you are going to feel the most comfortable living. For us it's the Southwest side. The Heights reminded me a lot of Alameda where we lived before, but the houses are not our style. We would have loved to have lived inside the loop (that area off Braeswood has some moderns), but the price just wasn't right. Tanglewilde would have been cool if we had found the right house. We looked at some townhomes near the galleria, but, something about this house just had our names on it. It grabbed us and didn't let go. I bet that will happen to you guys too.

There's a house 4 doors down from us that just went on sale, but it's going to take some work and it's already $195K for 1700 Sq ft. It is mod, but not quite MOD if you know what I mean.

Good Luck and keep us informed!

Jason

Archived