Over Houston - Some Drone Photos

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2022 at 11:40 AM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

spacer.png

Did security get mad at you for taking this? My friends and I were recording a buddy's proposal using drones at the top of the Glassell building and got a stern lecture for it.

• Like 1

That we had a drone, lol.

Nothing in the park area around it says "no drones" and we had checked with the museum beforehand, just in case. Museum had no complaints. Probably just a security guy on his high horse.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JBTX said:

That we had a drone, lol.

Nothing in the park area around it says "no drones" and we had checked with the museum beforehand, just in case. Museum had no complaints. Probably just a security guy on his high horse.

Nope. Somewhere on the MFAH website (I don’t remember exactly where) is the statement that the museum campus is a “drone-free zone.” It’s also a tripod-free zone. I had no trouble because I was flying the drone from the southeast corner of Binz and Fannin Streets… completely off the MFAH campus but within direct sight of my drone.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy

3 hours ago, JBTX said:

Did security get mad at you for taking this? My friends and I were recording a buddy's proposal using drones at the top of the Glassell building and got a stern lecture for it.

The guard's imagination may have taken a leap. From mfah.org "Private event rentals" page:

Outdoor photography permits are available for formal photography requests intended for personal, noncommercial use only. Examples of formal photography include, but are not limited to, bridal portraits, engagement photos, senior/graduation photos, and holiday family photos.

Permits allow for photography in the outdoor areas of the Museum only, and include the Cullen Sculpture Garden; Brown Foundation, Inc. Plaza; PNC Roof Garden; Cullen Foundation Promenade; and South Lawn. Formal/professional photography is not permitted inside any Museum buildings.

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

From mfah.org "Private event rentals" page:

Outdoor photography permits are available for formal photography requests intended for personal, noncommercial use only. Examples of formal photography include, but are not limited to, bridal portraits, engagement photos, senior/graduation photos, and holiday family photos.

That's what we saw as well. Plus, the sign in the Glassell courtyard says no "professional photography without permit." Which, not professionals and we asked permission.

2 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I had no trouble because I was flying the drone from the southeast corner of Binz and Fannin Streets… completely off the MFAH campus but within direct sight of my drone.

Ours was actually off Montrose when he complained. Eitherway, it's whatever. Excellent photos that you took! The while lot is lovely!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/4/2022 at 11:40 AM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Some photos from my Flickr album "Over Houston."  https://www.flickr.com/photos/23333264@N00/albums/72177720296375415/with/51871333814/

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Are these your pics? I want to get a drone and need some advice. The clarity of these pics are awesome 🤩 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Your pics do not scream new at this 👏🏼

Mind if I ask the drone that you use?

I’m still relatively new with the drone part. Not so new with the photographing and post-processing part. 

DJI Mavic Air 2. I chose it because at the time it had (I think) the highest camera resolution (48 megapixels) for the money AND the drone is smart enough to prevent me from crashing or losing it. The Mavic Air 3 has a better camera and probably more bells and whistles, but it’s also pricier. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 12:00 PM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I’m still relatively new with the drone part. Not so new with the photographing and post-processing part. 

DJI Mavic Air 2. I chose it because at the time it had (I think) the highest camera resolution (48 megapixels) for the money AND the drone is smart enough to prevent me from crashing or losing it. The Mavic Air 3 has a better camera and probably more bells and whistles, but it’s also pricier. 

Appreciate the input! I would use mine strictly for fun as I’m nowhere near a photographer.