Washington Ave road work

Some road work has started between Heights and Studemont on Washington. Does anyone know the details of the project? Is it related to any other projects on Washington like Buffalo Heights District? They have the top layer(s) removed and you can see the red bricks below in some spots. Imagining Washington paved in bricks is a fun thought. 

• Like 1

It looks like its just repaving, but I was hoping for a bigger project. Washington can back up bad here for no real apparent reason. Not sure how to fix it, but longer turn lanes when traveling east on Washington could help. People turning either direction onto Studemont can end up blocking people trying to travel straight through. 

2 hours ago, freundb said:

It looks like its just repaving, but I was hoping for a bigger project. Washington can back up bad here for no real apparent reason. Not sure how to fix it, but longer turn lanes when traveling east on Washington could help. People turning either direction onto Studemont can end up blocking people trying to travel straight through. 

I'd say the last thing Washington Ave needs is longer turn signals. That road is overbuilt and is one of the main reasons Metro was going to place light rail down the middle of it. 

• Like 1

They are replacing busted curb segments as well. Never thought I'd see the day. It's a Christmas miracle. Also noteworthy, utility connections are simultaneously  being installed into the future Phase 2 section of Buffalo Heights. At least it appears that way to my untrained eye. The pipes are being extended well into the property in 2-3 spots.

• Like 5

It's crazy how our most popular/ busiest streets are the ones that are in the worst shape. Westheimer (lower), Washington, Shepherd/Durham, etc, but they're all pretty much getting re-designed and rebuilt! Imagine what our city is going to look like in the future when these streets are brought up to date. Imagine the bike network we're going to have! This city is definitely moving forward and its on fire! Some of these completed streets w/ bike lanes look EXACTLY if not better than some of the streets I saw in Europe (Sweden/ Denmark)

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 1:28 PM, freundb said:

I would love to have a Washington Ave rail line. With the projects planned in the area it seems like they could justify it. Of course by the time it happened I likely wouldn't live in the area.

Iirc, they decided to not put the metro down Washington ave because it is a flood evacuation route for downtown. A lot of the other roads (I45, I10, memorial and Allen parkway) are at risk of flooding so they didn’t want to restrict the traffic flow in an emergency. I agree it would be a great location for a metro line though, with all the density coming up around there. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:39 PM, Amlaham said:

It's crazy how our most popular/ busiest streets are the ones that are in the worst shape. Westheimer (lower), Washington, Shepherd/Durham, etc, but they're all pretty much getting re-designed and rebuilt! Imagine what our city is going to look like in the future when these streets are brought up to date. Imagine the bike network we're going to have! This city is definitely moving forward and its on fire! Some of these completed streets w/ bike lanes look EXACTLY if not better than some of the streets I saw in Europe (Sweden/ Denmark)

And West Alabama in UK. Imagine that with Lower Westheimer and Richmond Ave BRT. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, freundb said:

I would like to know as well. I came home tuesday and my freshly washed car is now covered in dust from that damn road.

Ha! Samething happened to me. It looks like they are digging down to the pipes below. Not sure either...