Houston Belt And Terminal Railway Union Station At 501 Crawford St.

Vertigo58

Thank heaven for Google! I simply could not remember the name of the train that stopped here for several days in celebration of our bicentennial.

The American Freedom Train made a stop over at Union Station (still was opened) at this time. Our 10th grade class took a field trip to check the train out. Once inside, the train carried numerous items of Classic American Memorabilia/Nostalgia. I only recall seeing the ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz under glass, but there were many items of interest. The attached link will give the exact time line it was here Feb 19-24 1976. There were hundreds of school buses waiting their turn to get on board. Too bad we couldn't cruise around in it!

Wonder if any others here may have any photos or memories of this event? I hope long time citizens of Houston can remember.

As an addition, my mom says she still remembers the day her dad and mom dropped off my uncles at Union Station as very young men to go overseas soon after Pearl Harbor event. Luckily they all came back soon afterwards. :) Link below!

http://www.freedomtrain.org/html/aft_timeline.htm

• Like 1

I was in 4th grade and went there on a field trip. I remember it being a HUGE deal -- everyone was very excited -- but the only specific artifact I can remember seeing was some gigantic pair of shoes worn by some pro basketball player. Why I only remember that, I don't know. :rolleyes:

The shoes were probably Bob Lanier's. I think he wore a size 22 or something like that. They also had John Havlicek's green Converse tennies from his Celtics days.

My favorite exhibit was Archie Bunker's chair.

The shoes were probably Bob Lanier's. I think he wore a size 22 or something like that. They also had John Havlicek's green Converse tennies from his Celtics days.

My favorite exhibit was Archie Bunker's chair.

Yes, they had stuff like that on this tour/exhibit. I imagine most of it is now in the Smithsonian?

All these years I thought they had called this "The Spirit of 76 tour" Thats why I needed to clear up my own mystery with everyones help. Thanks!

Not to stray from the subject but I recall going on a field trip around 1967 to Union Station to walk around inside. I remember sitting on what seemed like HUGE wooden seats where passengers waited for thier trains to arrive or depart. In the film "Trip To Bountiful", the inside of Union Station is recreated (Houston 1940's) in the scene where Geraldine Page sneaks away to go back to her little home town. Great early Houston scenes at beginning! Buy it!

I fondly remember the murals inside Union Station, most likely from a WPA project. Also, they had a great model train layout on one of the upper floors that was open to the public. My dad took me to see it numerous times as a kid.

BTW, the items on the train were selected from the Smithsonian, or were destined to reside there after the tour.

Edited by Heights2Bastrop

Thank heaven for Google! I simply could not remember the name of the train that stopped here for several days in celebration of our bicentennial.

About six months before the Freedom Train came to town, my late father-in-law played Benjamin Franklin in a production of 1776 at the old Royal Coach Inn Dinner Theatre. He was a very good actor, singer and dancer, but he got the part the minute he came through the door at the auditions because he looked just like every picture you've ever seen of Franklin, right down to the bifocal glasses. The director, Marietta Marich, took one look at him and said "he's our Ben Franklin -- I don't care if he can sing or not." She was thrilled when she learned he could carry the part with the same lively style and pinache as Howard Da Silva, the actor who did the role in the movie.

He was great. So great that a few months later he got a call from the Houston Bi-Centennial Committee. They wanted to know if he would dress up like Franklin again, go to Austin to meet the Freedom Train and ride it to Houston. He did, and became the living symbol of the Bi-Centennial while the train was in Houston. He made a bunch of personal appearances at shopping malls and other places with the Freedom Train people and traveling exhibits, and I'm sure he spent time at the old Union Station too.

He spoke six languages fluently, including Spanish, French and several Middle Eastern tongues, and it blew the Washington peoples' minds to see him speaking to just about anybody who came up in their native language. They wanted him to travel the country on the Freedom Train but he couldn't take the time from his work to do that. He always regretted not taking that road.

Edited by FilioScotia

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have:

1) photos of old Union Station and downtown during the time it was running, and

2) photos, a map, or info showing the old street car/ light rail system located all up downtown and up to the Heights and Montrose?

Edited by shasta

Does anyone have:

1) photos of old Union Station and downtown during the time it was running, and

2) photos, a map, or info showing the old street car/ light rail system located all up downtown and up to the Heights and Montrose?

Google - Houston Union Station and hit "Images"

or try: http://members.iglou.com/baron/interurban.htm

I did manage to get my hands on that Houston Electric book and all I have to say is WOW. The old photos show a vibrant downtown complete with tons of street retail, canopied walk ways, pedestrians and yes......light rail on almost every street. I noticed the cities that did not prosper after the 2nd world war seemed to have a better chance at maintaining their historical buildings. Houston never had a chance...the old building were more valuable to land speculators.

Pick up this book because Houston is represented as a very different city here. What a shame.

• 1 year later...

Wonder if any others here may have any photos or memories of this event? I hope long time citizens of Houston can remember.

I have film of that event..and will post it as soon as I figure out how. The 16mm film is being digitized and as soon as it's back, I'll edit it and upload. Any suggestions for a server?

thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...
  • The title was changed to Union Station At 501 Crawford St.
  • The title was changed to Houston Belt And Terminal Railway Union Station At 501 Crawford St.