The MLS Stadium Poll

Double L

Where to put the stadium?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. MLS Stadium

• Downtown (Other side of US 59 from Minute Maid Field.
    • Buffalo Bayou Plan
    • Delmar Area
    • Former Astroworld Site
    • Other

Other - Keep it at UH's Robertson Stadium.

Why spend taxpayer $$$ to build ANOTHER stadium, when the perfect stadium already exists:

1) Perfect size for MLS (32,000)

2) Central location

3) IT'S PAID FOR!!!

The ONLY problem I see with Robertson is the parking situation, but that would be resolved with a proposed parking garage at Scott and Holman.

Unless a new stadium can be built WITHOUT public $$$, we need to use the existing Robertson Stadium. Spend a few $$$ on renovations rather than tens of millions on a brand new stadium.

Why spend taxpayer $$$ to build ANOTHER stadium, when the perfect stadium already exists:

2) Central location

3) IT'S PAID FOR!!!

The ONLY problem I see with Robertson is the parking situation, but that would be resolved with a proposed parking garage at Scott and Holman.

Unless a new stadium can be built WITHOUT public $$$, we need to use the existing Robertson Stadium. Spend a few $$$ on renovations rather than tens of millions on a brand new stadium.

I just hope the MLS waits until after the end of the 2006 season to decide on the stadium. Test the waters. Check out da fan support first. If the team is a big splash in Houston, Downtown would be the deserving spot.

I think downtown is out of the question. I think they're going for the Delmar site.

Hopefully not the Delmar site. That would entail a "public/private partnership" which is a palatable way to say they want HISD to help pay for their stadium. I can't believe they'd even have the nerve to ask.

They have 3 seasons to decide if UH is going to work out or if they want to build new elsewhere. Robertson seems ideal but I'm still betting on Delmar in the end. As far as our tax $$ go, anyone who lives in Houston knows we have no say. If the team owners want it bad enough, we ALWAYS end up footing the bill one way or the other.

B)

They have 3 seasons to decide if UH is going to work out or if they want to build new elsewhere. Robertson seems ideal but I'm still betting on Delmar in the end. As far as our tax $$ go, anyone who lives in Houston knows we have no say. If the team owners want it bad enough, we ALWAYS end up footing the bill one way or the other.

B)

It's OBVIOUS that whatever's gonna be built will have a $80-$100 million dollar price tag on it. Might as well get the most out of our money have the team build a comfortable seating, rectractable roof stadium using European (preferably French) architects to make it one of a kind. We donate land to the team downtown, and let the team pick up the tab on building costs, so we don't spend as much. They get the money on the stadium through private investors. Possibly making even MORE money with stadium naming rights, like say, a luxury car company. PLUS, we host event there and make it profitable to the city.

No point in just spending tax cash. Might as well take ALL we can get.

i would rather see it built along the buffalo bayou. I think that it could spur the a similar type of development near the bayou that was prompted by the minutemaid park/toyota center stadiums on the eastside of downtown. Perhaps some new retail, hotels, lofts, or even restaurant might develop around it and might help feature the bayou.

• 3 weeks later...

2) Central location

3) IT'S PAID FOR!!!

Robertston is not perfect for soccer.

They are putting in Field Turf as part of the lease arrangement. That just about ruins it for soccer in the long term. The other problem is covered seating. UofH plays in the evenings in the fall. Not so bad, weatherwise. The MLS team will be playing from April through October and conditions will be much worse for spectators.

A soccer-specific stadium that features real grass and covered seating is the answer.

I agree with others that ideally tax money should not go toward this stadium but a partnership between the school district and the team similar to what is being done in Dallas means that both sides benefit.

I agree with others that ideally tax money should not go toward this stadium but a partnership between the school district and the team similar to what is being done in Dallas means that both sides benefit.

I don't understand how people say that a partnership between a ISD and the team is not using tax money. Call it a partnership or whatever you like tax money will still be used to build the stadium. Call me silly but I thought school districts were in the business of education, not subsidizing soccer stadiums. :angry:

I don't understand how people say that a partnership between a ISD and the team is not using tax money. Call it a partnership or whatever you like tax money will still be used to build the stadium. Call me silly but I thought school districts were in the business of education, not subsidizing soccer stadiums. :angry:

west,

I have to agree. If anyone thinks otherwise, I would be happy to mail them my HISD tax statement. It's due at the end of the month.

Any takers?

B)

They are putting in Field Turf as part of the lease arrangement. That just about ruins it for soccer in the long term. The other problem is covered seating. UofH plays in the evenings in the fall. Not so bad, weatherwise. The MLS team will be playing from April through October and conditions will be much worse for spectators.

A soccer-specific stadium that features real grass and covered seating is the answer.

OK, maybe it's not perfect, but until someone comes up with another stadium deal that involves ZERO tax dollars, then it's the best option out there.

As for playing in the summertime, play the games at night and you won't need cover from the sun. Or...take an idea from the Romans and install some "retractable" fabric covers that would protect from the sun and rain.

Personally I think sports should be played in the elements...no domes, no retractable roof stadiums. It's fine to provide some cover for the fans, but I'm ashamed that Houston is home to baseball and football stadiums that are closed up and air-conditioned any time the weather is above 72 degrees.

Too many people look at baseball and football as social events rather than sporting events and of course you've got to look your best at a social event! :angry2: Let 'em sweat!!! [/rant]

west,

I have to agree. If anyone thinks otherwise, I would be happy to mail them my HISD tax statement. It's due at the end of the month.

Any takers?

B)

How come you're paying so slow, deadbeat? :lol:

Seriously, I think schools should get out of the sports business altogether. Expand Pop Warner and Little League baseball to include high schoolers. AAU has good amateur programs. Let them take over.

I know, I know. It'll never happen. But, it should. Anyone who doesn't think it has been overdone, drive out to North Shore, Katy and Cy-Fair, look at their new stadiums (Hell, look at their OLD ones), and get back to me.

How come you're paying so slow, deadbeat? :lol:

Seriously, I think schools should get out of the sports business altogether. Expand Pop Warner and Little League baseball to include high schoolers. AAU has good amateur programs. Let them take over.

I know, I know. It'll never happen. But, it should. Anyone who doesn't think it has been overdone, drive out to North Shore, Katy and Cy-Fair, look at their new stadiums (Hell, look at their OLD ones), and get back to me.

Funny you mentioned North Shore, I played against them in the OLD stadium, it was a complete joke. They did NEED new facilities. Their old locker room looked like something out of that movie "Hostel". I played in Stallworth stadium, which rivals some college stadiums still these days. I was fortunate. Katy football, well, continuously go to state finals a few times and money magically appears from boosters. I don't feel bad about N.Shore good fortune, they got an infusion of new money form wealthier families moving in that area, and it shows, they seem to have a decent team every year now, where as back in the 80's you couldn;t wait to play them because you knew it was gonna be an easy night. :lol:

TJ, if you'd like a little education as to where the money for these stadiums comes from, I'll be more than happy to set up a night of drinking with my architect buddy, who used to work for one of the main architectural firms that designs these things. We'll even explain where the money that pushes the bond elections comes from.

(Hint: It aint from the boosters. ;) )

TJ, if you'd like a little education as to where the money for these stadiums comes from, I'll be more than happy to set up a night of drinking with my architect buddy, who used to work for one of the main architectural firms that designs these things. We'll even explain where the money that pushes the bond elections comes from.

(Hint: It aint from the boosters. ;) )

Oh, I know where the money comes from, I should have put boosters in quotations "BOOSTERS". I will take you up on the night of drinking though.

Oh, I know where the money comes from, I should have put boosters in quotations "BOOSTERS". I will take you up on the night of drinking though.

TJ -

What happened to the Babe on the Treadmill avatar...she must have more skidmarks on her knees than Monica Lewinsky!!

Funny you mentioned North Shore, I played against them in the OLD stadium, it was a complete joke. They did NEED new facilities. Their old locker room looked like something out of that movie "Hostel". I played in Stallworth stadium, which rivals some college stadiums still these days. I was fortunate. Katy football, well, continuously go to state finals a few times and money magically appears from boosters. I don't feel bad about N.Shore good fortune, they got an infusion of new money form wealthier families moving in that area, and it shows, they seem to have a decent team every year now, where as back in the 80's you couldn;t wait to play them because you knew it was gonna be an easy night. :lol:

I live about 1/4 mile from North Shore High School. It is a great facility and has been selected to host a college bowl game in 2007!! It is called the Senior Classic Bowl which is made up of college senior players who are no longer eligible for NCAA football and did not declare for the draft or were not drafted. It is mainly for these players to been seen by Pro Football Scouts but it will be televised by ESPN. One of the organizers spoke to the North Shore Rotary about a month ago.

I like the "Robertson Stadium" idea for the first year or two, then work out something good.

I think the delmar plan will be most likely at least hearing the scuttlebutt from others.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Have you had sex in a Ford lately

Robertson will not be used long term period..... the owners of the team came to Houston both for the potential fan base and to work on a deal for a stadium with partners.... they were using a college stadium in San Jose and couldn't get their own stadium there...

I think Delmar will be the place... I see nothing wrong with it as that stadium is currently a dump (I played there 13 years ago) and needs to be updated... so if a deal can be worked out with a sponsor and the MLS team then why not?? it'll only further fuel the redevelopment in this area and maybe something will finally be done with NW Mall..

FYI, it was announced today that Robertson Stadium will not be getting Field Turf...they're going to keep the natural grass. UH will use their payment (+/-$1,000,000) from the 1836 club to make other improvements at the stadium. Hopefully that includes lighting upgrades and press box upgrades. The article in today's Houston Chronicle said that Robertson will be getting locker room and concessions upgrades.

As I understand it, the current locker rooms are a shoe box at Robertson...and of course the concessions stands are what you'd expect in a WPA-built stadium (1941).

FYI, it was announced today that Robertson Stadium will not be getting Field Turf...they're going to keep the natural grass. UH will use their payment (+/-$1,000,000) from the 1836 club to make other improvements at the stadium. Hopefully that includes lighting upgrades and press box upgrades. The article in today's Houston Chronicle said that Robertson will be getting locker room and concessions upgrades.

As I understand it, the current locker rooms are a shoe box at Robertson...and of course the concessions stands are what you'd expect in a WPA-built stadium (1941).

Yay! Field Turf, while a great improvement over AstroTurf, would be excruciatingly hot in the summer. Plus, UH needs to play on grass, not Turf. I'm sure FieldTurf was UH's idea, but I am glad they rethought it.

• 4 months later...
The grass at Robertson is beautiful to mess with. Check it out in August to see the water cannons in full swing. They are awesome.

robertson-stadium-empty.jpg

UH has already installed the upgraded stadium lighting at Robertson (which was needed to satisfy the networks that televise night games), and I understand that a new video scoreboard is next up...it will apparently double the size of the existing video screen and improve its graphics quality.

There's also a rumor that the Dynamo are getting close to committing an additional $20 million to upgrade Robertson Stadium...if that's true, then there will be no SSS; Robertson would be the permanent home of MLS in Houston.

The money would allow upgrades to the press box and a new end zone facility (which would include administrative offices, locker rooms, seating, suites), and potentially allow for other improvements.

Archived