The MLS Stadium Poll

Double L

Where to put the stadium?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. MLS Stadium

• Downtown (Other side of US 59 from Minute Maid Field.
    • Buffalo Bayou Plan
    • Delmar Area
    • Former Astroworld Site
    • Other

I'm thinking about Downtown, inside 59, on the east side. Maybe right behind the Houston Pavilions, or wherever there are pointless parking lots. Build some garages for car parking instead. The next best thing is at the old Astroworld site, but I heard somebody has already bought that site.

I am sure a soccer stadium (17,000-25,000), could spur some more growth in Downtown. Retractable may not be feasible though (to much money, or no room), but it could happen.

Edited by Trae

Honestly, I am already sick of the monster block stadiums on the east side of downtown. Let's work on trying to actually bring LIFE to the area.

Life has started with the Downtown Park and the Park Tower Houston. Houston Pavilions will help out, too, because it a part of it strecthes into Downtown's East Side. Another stadium wouldn't hurt (there are only 2).

• 3 weeks later...
The best place for the soccer stadium is were the Astroworld plot lies. Build a state-of-the-art soccer stadium, with retail, resturants and condos.

I FINALLY went to my first Dynamo game this past weekend, and I had a blast. The fans made it fun, and the game was high impact. It's great being in a sports environment where the crowd makes a direct impact.

I think the Astroworld idea is a great one, and I think it would work. Reliant Park really could use an attraction there since the Astrodome is about to become a hotel, and they already have parking spaces. That being said, my friends and I drove through the area directly across the freeway from GRB and Toyota Center, and couldn't believe the fact that an area looked the way it did directly beside downtown. There NEEDS to be a redevelopment project there more than any other area in town. Why would the City of Houston want that area to be neglected?

Why would the City of Houston want that area to be neglected?

They don't. That's why they backed the formation of a Management District. There is also a TIRZ back there that encompasses most (if not all) of the parking lots.

It'll be a slow revival. The Lofts at the Ballpark would've been a major financial flop if it hadn't been for TIRZ subsidy that got them through the slow lease-up period. Contrary to the intentions of the TIRZ, the lofts actually DISproved the market.

They don't. That's why they backed the formation of a Management District. There is also a TIRZ back there that encompasses most (if not all) of the parking lots.

It'll be a slow revival. The Lofts at the Ballpark would've been a major financial flop if it hadn't been for TIRZ subsidy that got them through the slow lease-up period. Contrary to the intentions of the TIRZ, the lofts actually DISproved the market.

...then why wasn't that area part of the revitalization projects surrounding Minute Maid Park or Toyota Center, and how many more major conventions would GRB host if that area were an attraction? If I were TIRZ, I'd push for that MLS stadium there, plus a crazy urban development with retail and residential to go with it. Maybe even build a parking garage for both the Astros and Dynamo, and have the City of Houston sell some of the parking spaces downtown to high-rise retail/residental developers.

• 2 months later...

Don't make the mistake of putting the stadium in the suburbs like FC Dallas did. The new stadium is by far the nicest stadium in the MLS but its on the opposite end of the earth from the latino fans in the south Dallas area. You can forget about Fort Worth people going to game. It would take a least an hour to drive out to Frisco from cowtown.

In my opinion, which means absolutely nothing, they should have put the stadium in Arlington with Jerry World and The Ballpark.

Soccer is a junk science sport. Why watch a game when it could end up a tie. If your gonna build it do it on the north side for a change.

Edited by Marty

Soccer is a junk science sport. Why watch a game when it could end up a tie. If your gonna build it do it on the north side for a change.

Soccer is not a sport. Soccer is THE sport. I'd like to see it either across from Reliant Stadium (either at the Texans practice site, or at the Astroworld site since development is DESPERATELY needed there), or across the freeway from MMP, because development is also DESPERATELY needed there. I can see a major attendance differance if they built there than if they built at Delmar.

I think they need to find an owner first before they pick a site. By the way, GO DYNAMO! Made it to the playoffs!

• 2 weeks later...
Soccer is not a sport. Soccer is THE sport. I'd like to see it either across from Reliant Stadium (either at the Texans practice site, or at the Astroworld site since development is DESPERATELY needed there), or across the freeway from MMP, because development is also DESPERATELY needed there. I can see a major attendance differance if they built there than if they built at Delmar.

I think they need to find an owner first before they pick a site. By the way, GO DYNAMO! Made it to the playoffs!

DJV: Soccer is not THE sport in the United States of America. Now you know what THE sport is this country is. THE NFL! :wub:

DJV: Soccer is not THE sport in the United States of America. Now you know what THE sport is this country is. THE NFL! :wub:

True for now, but the United States is a country, not a planet. In regards of planet Earth, soccer is the #1 sport. Not even sure if NFL-style football would be in the top 10 most played in the world outside the USA if a poll or study were done.

That being said, I love all sports in general :) And I LOVE the NFL, but not as much as international rugby. Now THAT'S hard-hitting action to me!

• 3 weeks later...

There is a good article in this morning's Chronicle about other cities with Soccer specific stadiums, most attention is paid to Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, TX. I hope the Dynamo don't put too much stock into the talk that building a stadium and an arsenal of adjacent soccer fields for kids leagues is a suburban success story. I don't think building this stadium in the suburbs is the best solution in Houston. Dallas is different, they are more spread out, they don't have a strong central core. They have soccer in Frisco, football in Irving/Arlington, and baseball in Arlington, that's not the way we do it here.

I think the best solution is what they have done (are doing) in Columbus, OH. They were the first to build a soccer specific stadium (in town), now they are going further out and building a practice facility for the team with the arsenal of adjacent soccer fields. That sounds like the best model for Houston. Build an inner loop soccer specific stadium for all of Houston to enjoy (not just a suburb), and then build the practice facility and additional soccer fields in Sugar Land or Montgomery County.

If you're interested, here is the article.

Let's hear your thoughts.

There is a good article in this morning's Chronicle about other cities with Soccer specific stadiums, most attention is paid to Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, TX. I hope the Dynamo don't put too much stock into the talk that building a stadium and an arsenal of adjacent soccer fields for kids leagues is a suburban success story. I don't think building this stadium in the suburbs is the best solution in Houston. Dallas is different, they are more spread out, they don't have a strong central core. They have soccer in Frisco, football in Irving/Arlington, and baseball in Arlington, that's not the way we do it here.

I think the best solution is what they have done (are doing) in Columbus, OH. They were the first to build a soccer specific stadium (in town), now they are going further out and building a practice facility for the team with the arsenal of adjacent soccer fields. That sounds like the best model for Houston. Build an inner loop soccer specific stadium for all of Houston to enjoy (not just a suburb), and then build the practice facility and additional soccer fields in Sugar Land or Montgomery County.

If you're interested, here is the article.

Let's hear your thoughts.

What I think we should EVENTUALLY build a semi-complex across 59 from GRB. The stadium (the biggest, best, and most innovative in MLS), with perhaps 3-5 fields around it or in the area for the community. Surround those fields with urban-style residential/retail high-rises and revitalization that would spread out all the way to I-45/Gulf Freeway, Scott/Sampson Street, the railroad track, and Congress Street (check out Google Maps to see what area I'm talking about.)

Also, build the 12+ practice fields for Dynamo and the community around a high school stadium such in Alief, Sugarland, Delmar, or an HISD school. It would help the market grow faster, and the fields would almost always be used. Check this clip out from the Chronicle...

Hunt Sports Group is considering partnerships with other area cities to develop and manage smaller soccer complexes; McGee believes the mega-complex combination of a stadium for the professional team and surrounding fields for developmental leagues is the way to go, providing an opportunity to host major national events.

I REALLY like the idea of developing smaller sports complexes, and since it's Houston, it wouldn't be as expensive. Instead of purchasing new land for these complexes, team up with the City of Houston and revitalize different parks with soccer fields already on them like in East End, Bayland Park on Bissonett, etc.

Building at Delmar would be bland, and building outside of Houston would be suicide for Dynamo. The fans here see Dynamo as a professional franchise, and if at the right central location, soccer will eventually grow in popularity here as the NBA and MLB have. If they're smart, they'd make a deal on the practice field complex within the next 3 years, and hold off on the new stadium for the next 5-6 years and work on attendance and local market growth. Instead of building a 20-25,000 seat stadium in a couple years, they could build a 35-40,000 seat stadium with lots of suites in the next decade and still have the stadium sell out. But this team needs to set the standard and not follow Dallas.

^^Best idea. Build the stadium in the "black hole" south of 610. Then, build the team's practice facility there, or in the Woodlands, Sugar Land, Katy, Cypress, etc.

i think the 610 location is a great idea. However their plan to put fields next to the main field seems more practical with respect to cost. as many parking lots wont be needed if they are all colocated. If HISD gets involved, i'm sure it would be more feasible to convince constituents that colocation is better as well. Doing somelike like this in the near eastside seems more expensive due to land costs alone.