Houston "Vision Zero" project

• 8 months later...

Just saw this today: That terrible intersection at Bagby/Elgin/Westheimer is finally getting some work done, looks like Bagby is losing that crappy turn lane AND a travel lane! Really awesome small scale stuff. Hope we get to see more soon!
image.png.4e2f9198012f3c3992b64ea52c790c0a.png

https://mailchi.mp/houstontx/montrose-midtown-initiative

Edited by HouTXRanger
  • Like 2

There is also discussion on this intersection in the Montrose section

Under thread “ M “ monument.

District C has monies to pay for cut removal and barricades to close down right hand turn lane going south on Bagby towards Westheimer

shall there no longer be the ability to turn right onto Westheimer from Bagby?

while this might be great news for the walkability of that intersection, it seems it's bad news for Avondale and Helena, as that's how people are going to end up turning right.

They're removing the little slip lane that currently serves as the means by which you turn right onto Westheimer. That *could* mean they are also eliminating right turn lanes completely, but they definitely don't have to. I'm also not sure why they would.

All we've seen is this rough illustration, so we don't actually know what the final configuration will look like. But eliminating right turns would be a choice they would make that is not required by eliminating the little chunk of lane they're talking about.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Also, for what it's worth, the planned Lower Westheimer rebuild (http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/transportation/CMP/LowerWestheimer/docs_pdfs/intersections.pdf), which includes this project, has Bagby as 2 southbound lanes and a dedicated turn lane.

That is honestly the way it should be.

There is a 0% chance that right turns will be eliminated. It is just the slip lane that is being removed. 

5 hours ago, Texasota said:

They're removing the little slip lane that currently serves as the means by which you turn right onto Westheimer. That *could* mean they are also eliminating right turn lanes completely, but they definitely don't have to. I'm also not sure why they would.

All we've seen is this rough illustration, so we don't actually know what the final configuration will look like. But eliminating right turns would be a choice they would make that is not required by eliminating the little chunk of lane they're talking about.

that's exactly how I read it, which means a right turn will be a very acute angle (a cute angel?). which is why I theorize that people will choose Avondale and Helena as the 'easier' right turn.

Usabilla on Twitter: "Design vs User Experience, Round 2 [via @IDLabTweets]  #ux #design http://t.co/dfMKYjA4Kk"

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Also, for what it's worth, the planned Lower Westheimer rebuild (http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/transportation/CMP/LowerWestheimer/docs_pdfs/intersections.pdf), which includes this project, has Bagby as 2 southbound lanes and a dedicated turn lane.

this actually shows a much easier turn than the other picture depicts.

image.png.b2e2624b0abd85a844d061e2bbd6ed45.png

Again, the other picture is meant to be broadly representative of what's planned. It's not necessarily showing the exact angles of the final project or anything.

But even if it were, do you really think that people would avoid it because its a somewhat tighter right turn than normal? Just to have to then jog right back to Westheimer on Helena? I find that hard to believe. But then it doesn't look like a particularly difficult turn to me. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Again, the other picture is meant to be broadly representative of what's planned. It's not necessarily showing the exact angles of the final project or anything.

But even if it were, do you really think that people would avoid it because its a somewhat tighter right turn than normal? Just to have to then jog right back to Westheimer on Helena? I find that hard to believe. But then it doesn't look like a particularly difficult turn to me. 

This sort of right turn would be just fine:

image.png.b2e2624b0abd85a844d061e2bbd6ed45.png

This right turn, on the other hand, would absolutely pose an issue for trucks bringing in supplies to businesses down Westheimer:

image.png.4e2f9198012f3c3992b64ea52c790c0a.png

That's way too sharp a right turn and you would undoubtedly see that curb taking heavy damage with people constantly running over it.

I use the far right lane all the time to get into my neighborhood in my car and bicycle, I really like it and now I'm going to have to fight everyone else to be able to get to the Hawthorne lane. Losing that angled lane to get on Westheimer is really going to gum up the intersection. Like Triton said trucks are going to take up all the lanes to get on Westheimer by swinging really wide. They need to add a timed light like on the protected lanes on Austin, Lamar and Gray St. for bicycles.

Edited by hindesky
Edit: Missing word.
  • Like 1

I doubt they're planning this, but they could do a low curb that trucks could drive over that cars would still need to go around.

It would be interesting to find out how many trucks actually make this turn though. I genuinely have no idea, but planning for truck routing is one of those less sexy things that never gets enough attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I use the far right lane all the time to into my neighborhood in my car and bicycle, I really like it and now I'm going to have to fight everyone else to be able to get to the Hawthorne lane. Losing that angled lane to get on Westheimer is really going to gum up the intersection. Like Triton said trucks are going to take up all the lanes to get on Westheimer by swinging really wide. They need to add a timed light like on the protected lanes on Austin, Lamar and Gray St. for bicycles.

I lived in Westmoreland for years, and I agree with what you are saying, BUT I think that there are a good number of people that don't know that the lane ends and it causes a safety hazard. Seems like the pedestrian signal at the forced turn gets knocked down every few months. 

I have never in years can ever remember a time where I have had to wait on the light for more than 1 cycle. Basically, minor inconvenience for Westhmoreland residents < safety concerns. 

Those cycle crossing lights are basically as valuable as gold for some reason. The ones that they needed to complete Gray were delayed almost a year. I think the city is going to put in a two-way bikeway on Brazos (I know, less than desirable) and are working on ways to connect it to the neighborhood bikeway that goes down Hawthorne and into Midtown at the Spur.

20 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I doubt they're planning this, but they could do a low curb that trucks could drive over that cars would still need to go around.

It would be interesting to find out how many trucks actually make this turn though. I genuinely have no idea, but planning for truck routing is one of those less sexy things that never gets enough attention.

That seems like a design fail to me. Honestly, I'm worried enough as it is and wish that they would include bollards to protect pedestrians no matter how "loose" the angle is. 

• 2 years later...

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/traffic/2023/08/10/459254/houstons-vision-zero-report-for-2022-shows-traffic-fatalities-were-down-but-not-by-much/

"The city released its annual Vision Zero report for 2022 this week and, for the first time since the initiative began in 2020, there was a reduction in the year-over-year numbers of traffic-related deaths and serious injuries. But the improvements were modest, with eight fewer fatalities compared to 2021 and 28 fewer injuries.

Overall, 323 motorists, passengers, pedestrians and cyclists lost their lives on Houston streets last year, and 1,592 more were seriously injured, according to data from the Texas Department of Transportation's Crash Records Information System."

• 7 months later...

I'm hearing that the mayor is getting rid of the Vision Zero program. This will ultimately affect any federal dollars for future projects. It has already affected Phase 2 of the Montrose Boulevard redesign. The feds denied funding because it doesn't provide enough multi-modal access. The city resubmitted the project for funding with no changes. I'm very worried how this will affect projects like Gulfton/Kashmere Gardens and the massive grant they just received. 

This mayor just doesn't get it and he's not going to. I voted for a Democrat, and this mayor doesn't act like one. I expect some major changes to 11th Street if not completely removed. 

On a positive note, the mayor supports the Quitman bikeway which will have a groundbreaking tomorrow. Adrian Garcia said he met with the mayor to discuss the project and it has his support. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm hearing that the mayor is getting rid of the Vision Zero program. This will ultimately affect any federal dollars for future projects. It has already affected Phase 2 of the Montrose Boulevard redesign. The feds denied funding because it doesn't provide enough multi-modal access. The city resubmitted the project for funding with no changes. I'm very worried how this will affect projects like Gulfton/Kashmere Gardens and the massive grant they just received. 

This mayor just doesn't get it and he's not going to. I voted for a Democrat, and this mayor doesn't act like one. I expect some major changes to 11th Street if not completely removed. 

On a positive note, the mayor supports the Quitman bikeway which will have a groundbreaking tomorrow. Adrian Garcia said he met with the mayor to discuss the project and it has his support. 

Considering that the teeth of Houston's Vision Zero was basically that we don't super love it when pedestrians die, it would be a pretty wild move to abandon it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

Considering that the teeth of Houston's Vision Zero was basically that we don't super love it when pedestrians die, it would be a pretty wild move to abandon it.

Surely Houstonians didn’t “super love it” when pedestrians died prior to the adoption of Vision Zero.  It’s the “means” to an end that are in contention and yes it is safe to assume that Mayor Whitmire is not on board.  This is obvious with the Washington Avenue reversal and the soon to be 11th Street reversal, and the departures in City Hall of the proponents of this strategy. So no big surprise here.

Vision Zero reminds me of “Lean Manufacturing” or other philosophies that are in vogue at one time or another.  From the website:

Vision Zero is a strategy to eliminate all traffic fatalities and severe injuries, while increasing safe, healthy, equitable mobility for all. First implemented in Sweden in the 1990s, Vision Zero has proved successful across Europe — and now it’s gaining momentum in major American cities.

19 minutes ago, steve1363 said:

Surely Houstonians didn’t “super love it” when pedestrians died prior to the adoption of Vision Zero.  It’s the “means” to an end that are in contention and yes it is safe to assume that Mayor Whitmire is not on board.  This is obvious with the Washington Avenue reversal and the soon to be 11th Street reversal, and the departures in City Hall of the proponents of this strategy. So no big surprise here.

Vision Zero reminds me of “Lean Manufacturing” or other philosophies that are in vogue at one time or another.  From the website:

Vision Zero is a strategy to eliminate all traffic fatalities and severe injuries, while increasing safe, healthy, equitable mobility for all. First implemented in Sweden in the 1990s, Vision Zero has proved successful across Europe — and now it’s gaining momentum in major American cities.

Washington Ave reversal? 

23 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm hearing that the mayor is getting rid of the Vision Zero program.

Wow, are you sure? I had not heard of this yet. That would potentially prevent them from getting federal dollars unless they planned to go about this a different way. 

8 minutes ago, Triton said:

Wow, are you sure? I had not heard of this yet. That would potentially prevent them from getting federal dollars unless they planned to go about this a different way. 

It hasn't been fully confirmed. CM Castillo's rep emailed me back to let me know no word has been made yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samagon said:

they should at least keep the name, vision zero could mean, zero options, unless it's a car?

Vision Zero is not a slogan, not a tagline, not even just a program. It is a fundamentally different way to approach traffic safety.
https://visionzeronetwork.org/about/what-is-vision-zero/

This philosophy is extremely bureaucratic.  I can see how it might consume a ton of “wasted” meetings in the Whitmire administration and he clearly wants his team focused on different priorities.

I have mixed feelings about this.  This program at least gave visibility to the fact the city is committed to improved walkability.  My priority for Houston is improving the quality of life for its residents (I.e. ample parks, trails, affordable housing).  Whitmire must feel that Vision Zero has gone overboard with road diets and bike lanes.  It doesn’t help that the bike lanes are seldom used.  It’s not improving the quality of life for the majority of residents and he’s hearing the complaints of his constituents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve1363 said:

This philosophy is extremely bureaucratic.  I can see how it might consume a ton of “wasted” meetings in the Whitmire administration and he clearly wants his team focused on different priorities.

The city has a single planner whose job is to primarily make sure that all road users are accounted for in projects and is considered a vision zero coordinator. They are just part of the normal process.

I have mixed feelings about this.  This program at least gave visibility to the fact the city is committed to improved walkability.  My priority for Houston is improving the quality of life for its residents (I.e. ample parks, trails, affordable housing).  Whitmire must feel that Vision Zero has gone overboard with road diets and bike lanes.  It doesn’t help that the bike lanes are seldom used.  It’s not improving the quality of life for the majority of residents and he’s hearing the complaints of his constituents.

Yeah, most people don't realize how much carnage there actually is on the roads and that the design of the roads themselves are such a large component. Whitmire clearly doesn't get it either. I think it is mostly virtue-signaling/culture wars. 11th bike lanes get used quite a bit, but I'm sure that won't matter. There are a large contingent of people that think that slowing down their vehicles or making it harder or more uncomfortable to drive is an affront. I have heard directly from some people within HPW that the administration is basically against any type of slowing for any reason. Not Whitmire himself, but a designee. 

Will be interesting to see if he kills off a city project like Commerce St which is tied to several other projects by different entities (including the sorely needed railroad eliminator grant). It is only two massive lanes and the street itself is shit. It aligns with the existing Harrisburg Trail and there is plenty of room for bike lanes, so it will be interesting to see if he goes out of his way to not build bike lanes in such a no-brainer corridor. 

• Like 3