TxDOT Begins Process To Make I-45 3 x 3 Between Houston And Dallas

Per MaxConcrete's thread on aaroads.com, TxDOT is beginning the process to expand a 90 mile 2 x 2  lane section of I-45 between Houston and Dallas to 3 x 3 lanes, ultimately bringing I-45 to a minimum of 3 lanes each way along its entirely from Galveston to Dallas. Work will take place in the Bryan District through Walker, Madison, Leon, and Freestone Counties where it'll link up to already completed 3 x 3 sections in Walker and Navarro Counties. 

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=26968.0

So it looks like many portions of I-45 will be in a state of extensive reconstruction through the 2020s and part of the 2030s including the current expansion in Galveston County and the North Houston Highway Improvement Project. Hopefully that high speed train will be operation by then so people can have an alternative to the construction zones on the way to Dallas and back. I guess we couldn't let I-35 between DFW and San Antonio have all the fun huh?

• 3 weeks later...

JM, what about I-10 between Houston and San Antonio? I believe it will eventually be 3x3 all the way also. I do the Houston to Dallas drive several times a year and I don't see the need for the expansion. Whatever they've been doing around Corsicana has taken a very long time.

20 minutes ago, Specwriter said:

JM, what about I-10 between Houston and San Antonio? I believe it will eventually be 3x3 all the way also. I do the Houston to Dallas drive several times a year and I don't see the need for the expansion. Whatever they've been doing around Corsicana has taken a very long time.

I-10 needs to be 3 lanes. It is so painful travelling on that road right now.

1 minute ago, Triton said:

I used to visit my mother in Hunt, Tx when she was living there and at the time I thought IH 10 needed to be 3 lanes all the way to San Antonio and beyond. She just moved back and there was so much construction on it that it made me want to go a different way. Most of the construction was on the north side of San Antonio going to Boerne and around Sealy/Brookshire. I  tend to believe that those sections are being converted to 3 lanes on each side due to the heavy amounts of traffic.

3 hours ago, Specwriter said:

2 hours ago, Triton said:

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

I used to visit my mother in Hunt, Tx when she was living there and at the time I thought IH 10 needed to be 3 lanes all the way to San Antonio and beyond. She just moved back and there was so much construction on it that it made me want to go a different way. Most of the construction was on the north side of San Antonio going to Boerne and around Sealy/Brookshire. I  tend to believe that those sections are being converted to 3 lanes on each side due to the heavy amounts of traffic.

I-10 expansion to 6 lanes all the way to San Antonio is coming. They're already working on it from I-410 with an eventual new stack interchange to replace the 60s era cloverleaf, to Loop 1604 in San Antonio, and of course they're working on it from Brookshire to just past Sealy on our end. It's coming together slowly. One big thing is they're going to reroute I-10 at Columbus and construct a new crossing over the Colorado River south of the current crossing. See my posts in this thread: 

• The title was changed to TxDOT Begins Process To Make I-45 3 x 3 Between Houston And Dallas

Archived