Memories Of Southside Place

VicMan

Southside Place is a small city bordered by Houston, West University Place, and Bellaire.

Southside Place had 1,546 in 2000 and at the time was the 14th wealthiest location in Texas based in per capita income.

Southside Place is residential north of Bellaire Boulevard (a section bordered by Bellaire Boulevard, University Boulevard, Virginia CT, and the houses along Auden Street. It is mainly commercial south of the Boulevard (bordered by Bellaire Boulevard, Gramercy, Virginia CT, and the Bellaire Railroad tracks.

Southside Place is in Houston ISD. Areas north of Bellaire Boulevard go to West University Elementary in West University Place, and areas south of Bellaire Boulevard go to Twain Elementary in Houston. All areas of Southside Place are zoned to Pershing Middle School in Houston. Areas west of Stella Link are zoned to Bellaire High School in Bellaire (as far as I know, only an apartment complex is in this area), while the rest of Southside Place is zoned to Lamar.

Southside Place has two shopping centers. New Plan's Braes Heights Shopping Center (it includes Dan's Vitamin House, the Star Fire Grill, a shoe store, an Antone's, and several other things). There's also a shopping center that includes some chiropractor and a bank. Southside Place also has a CVS, an auto-repair shop, a Little Woodrow's, a bowling alley, and a Black Eyed Pea. Southside Place also has a water tower that serves the city of West University Place.

Also, be careful to not get ticketed for speeding in Southside Place. I heard the cops are anal about speeding there.

I always thought it was odd that Southside Place remained viable as such a small jurisdiciton, but I didn't realize that all those businesses were within the city so they must have a fairly healthy tax base. The stretch of Bellaire through the neighborhood has long been a popular speed trap.

I forgot: There is also some office owned by Shell in Southside Place. In addition there is a Chinese restaurant, a Pilgrim's Cleaners, and a Starbucks. Southside Place used to have a Burger King, and until recently had a Krispy Kreme.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • The title was changed to Memories Of Southside Place