Camden City Centre: Multifamily At 301 St. Joseph Pkwy.

WesternGulf

I found this Midtown map on the Page Partners site and I was looking at information for this midtown retail development that was mentioned earlier on this forum:

aa36pw.th.jpg

The map stresses where this development will be located but shows the different uses of the area. Does anyone have information on the residential project at the very top of the map named Camden Central City? Has anyone heard of it. The one thing that scares me about Camden is, if it is not mixed use, you usually get the stuff that exsist in Midtown now that Camden owns.

aa34tt.jpg

aa42ft.jpg

• Like 1

walking by the area for the past week or so, it seems as construction has started, some of the lots have been dug up and they have fenced in the NW block between cleveland and ruthven , it looks like a building material storage area and a trailer type construction office.

Does anyone have any plans or pictures of the proposed buildings there?

thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The final name appears to be Camden City Centre

It is at 301 Saint Joseph's Parkway at 77002.

The zoned Houston ISD schools are:

* Gregory-Lincoln Education Center (grades Kindergarten through 8) - http://ms.houstonisd.org/gregorylincoln/

* Reagan High School - http://hs.houstonisd.org/reaganhs/

Profiles

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Gregor...onCenter_ES.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Reagan_HS.pdf

Edited by VicMan
  • Like 1

Looks like it is indeed a go!

According to this googled document:

"Camden City Centre

Houston, TX 379 54.0 17.4 17.4 3Q07 3Q08"

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/060807/cpt10-q.html

More articles:

http://finance.abc13.com/abc?ID=3327820&am...p;Page=NewsRead

16. Camden City Centre

301 Saint Joseph's Pkwy

Houston, TX 77002

(713) 354-2500

Opening Spring/Summer 2007

http://www.camdenliving.com/internet/html/...ear_houston.htm

Edited by UrbaNerd
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This 6 block, 600 unit megaproperty will NOT have retail! I'm extremely upset and tired of this crap! Developers are not seeing the future of the area. The reason being streets in fourth ward are too narrow and there is going to be too much congestion. This is exactly what we need... for people to stop catering to cars! When is someone going to finally get this.

This 6 block, 600 unit megaproperty will NOT have retail! I'm extremely upset and tired of this crap! Developers are not seeing the future of the area. The reason being streets in fourth ward are too narrow and there is going to be too much congestion. This is exactly what we need... for people to stop catering to cars! When is someone going to finally get this.

Pedestrian/Transit-oriented retail will only come when there are enough households within walking/riding distance to support it. A 600-unit apartment complex isn't enough, by itself, and it would also face competition from Post Midtown, which has already established itself within the market. A substantial retail component is first and foremost an investment, not a design element.

Having said that, even I think that a non-substantial retail element would've been called for. At least a coffee shop or some other small shop that could've served not only as a cash generator, but also as an on-site amenity to the apartments.

Edited by TheNiche

True enough. It seems that neighborhood is not quite up to sustaining much retail. I'm not convinced that the residential-retail mix is a very compelling idea. There's a limited number of retail options that would work, since not many residents will want to live above anything that is noisy, smelly, or open late, and that rules out a lot of retail. Also, apartment developers are in the business of developing apartments. If they don't have depth in retail they're not going to want to risk it. I know there are cases where residential plus retail has been done, but I would think the opportunities for it are very limited and location-dependent.

We went by there today and while I understand the want for retail, I'll bet the majority of its residents won't be walking around. The west side streets are skanky IMO. If people are scared of homeless then here they['ll really have a reason to be scared. we spotted at least 2 "deals" going on.

Edited by musicman

We went by there today and while I understand the want for retail, I'll bet the majority of its residents won't be walking around. The west side streets are skanky IMO. If people are scared of homeless then here they['ll really have a reason to be scared. we spotted at least 2 "deals" going on.

These are no where near the area you are speaking of. I believe it is literally across the street from the Post. That said, retail is really not needed at this development. Ther are restaurant options, convenient stores, coffee shops, and cleaners all along that stretch on Gray located at the Post that even the average Houstonian could walk to from this development. The Post Midtown expansion may even be mixed use.

I live in the area and although I'm not especially happy about apartments being developed at least it's further gentrification.

Camden could have at least provided space for a convenience store and/ or small food market. It happens in other cities why not here?

One positive: even though these are just apartments the property could have an impact on taxes in the area. That might force some of the slum lords in the back of the 4th Ward to sell and drive out the bad element.

As a side note to this area: the lack of police presence in this area is unforgivable. The police appear to only be interested in busting those "dangerous speeders," especially if they're white and drive a decent car! It's all about generating revenue rather than actually cracking down on real crime, you know?

Are we talking about the same development here? Isn't this Camden project really the location for the Edge at 300 St Joseph? I do not believe they're apartments either.

I believe so. Yes, this development will be across from The Edge. However, it's my understanding that all units in the Camden development will be rental.

These are no where near the area you are speaking of. I believe it is literally across the street from the Post. That said, retail is really not needed at this development. Ther are restaurant options, convenient stores, coffee shops, and cleaners all along that stretch on Gray located at the Post that even the average Houstonian could walk to from this development. The Post Midtown expansion may even be mixed use.

Yes these are the ones i'm talking about. They are just north of the Post Midtown. West of this new development is where i was saying it is rough enough to where people would not feel safe to walk.

Edited by musicman

Are we talking about the same development here? Isn't this Camden project really the location for the Edge at 300 St Joseph? I do not believe they're apartments either.

It is actually BOTH, Camden and the Edge. The Edge sits directly north of Post, and is under construction. Camden is west and north of the Edge. The wood framing is all Camden. The Edge is the concrete columns protruding slightly out of the ground.

West of the Camden site may still be considered rough around the edges. However, the orientation of Camden will be toward Post and the Edge, where Front Porch and Kamodo are. People park on that street now, to go to the bars. I don't see 600 to 1,000 new residents making it worse. Besides, there is nothing west of Camden that anyone wants to see anyway. All of the bars, restaurants and retail are south and east of the property.

This is what I don't understand from some of your replies.... Most people around here are saying that retail/residential/business mix is the best for an urban environment. But, then some of you are saying that Camden does not necessarily have to have retail...From a resident's perspective this is what I want. There are more small businesses that we need around here. From a business perspective, I would think this could be a selling point for Camden.

I think if they build it...we will come. Fourth Ward, the area of midtown where the Posts are, and surrounding areas are becoming very dense, and I think retail will survive.

Edited by sargento03

This is what I don't understand from some of your replies.... Most people around here are saying that retail/residential/business mix is the best for an urban environment. But, then some of you are saying that Camden does not necessarily have to have retail...From a resident's perspective this is what I want. There are more small businesses that we need around here. I'm tired of having to drive everywhere for simple items like batteries (need those today and refuse to drive to cvs). From a business perspective, I would think this could be a selling point for Camden.

I think if they build it...we will come. Fourth Ward, the area of midtown where the Posts are, and surrounding areas are becoming very dense, and I think retail will survive.

My mom lives in Venezuela and although a third world country they got this concept down. The bottom floor of her high rise has a bakery, pharmacy, convenience store, video game place for kids, a tiny grocery store, and a gym! I want this soooo bad here!

Houston still isn't really all that dense, even in and around Midtown and Montrose. Our densest areas are actually outside the loop, around Gulfton. And even then, that's because of a proliferation of low-rise apartments. Houston is not NYC. Houston is not part of a third-world country. The economics of real estate that apply in those places don't necessarily apply here (yet). We just aren't within those same economic thresholds. And unfortunately, battery purchases don't support much retail.

Funny, though. In another thread, you mention a distate for fences because it creates a third world aesthetic, and yet in this thread you long for that same atmosphere.

This is what I don't understand from some of your replies.... Most people around here are saying that retail/residential/business mix is the best for an urban environment. But, then some of you are saying that Camden does not necessarily have to have retail

To be honest, I thought this thread was about the EDGE, but you are right about the lack of retail in the area atleast for the residents that have been in and are moving into the Fourth Ward. From the map, it still seems like retail is the last thing this developer would be worried about. The streets are just to narrow in the area, and retail usually lies on commercial streets such as Gray and West Dallas, while everything in between is residential. Plus the streets are just too narrow for that type of traffic unless it will be geared exclusively towards walkers. :rolleyes: Yeah right.

Also, regarding the Camden, I must say I now see where musicman is coming from. Not too many people who live in the sea of Urban Lofts and new townhomes popping up in the Fourth Ward are going to walk in the area. It's sad, but we have to stop being so p.c. It is not once in a blue moon that you have an encounter with someone you really do not want to deal with in that area. The best hope for residents in the fourth ward regarding walkable retail is West Dallas.

Off topic, but here is a pretty cool pic of the area. Kind of dark.

ahj8.th.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...