Its sad to see Biggio go. I just hope Mclane uses the money that he is getting from all the Biggio attention. To put together a winning team next year. Biggio retiring is looking good for the Astros as I suspect people will flock to games just to see him in action before he is gone.

Guest Marty

I am pretty sure you all know about this news already.

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros designated Morgan Ensberg for assignment on Sunday morning, meaning the team has 10 days to trade, release or send the third baseman to the Minor Leagues.

The rest of the story MLB.com

• 4 weeks later...

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article...sp&c_id=hou

The Astros dismissed general manager Tim Purpura and manager Phil Garner on Monday and replaced them on an interim basis by Tal Smith and Cecil Cooper, respectively.

The team made a formal announcement at an afternoon press conference at Minute Maid Park.

Smith, currently Houston's president of baseball operations, is a former Astros GM. Cooper was the team's bench coach for the past three seasons.

and they were both signed through 2008...

Edited by sevfiv

No way. I am way surprised. I know Purpura sucked, but gosh. Everyone sucked this year; some of the same guys Hunsicker brought in. He brought in Carlos Lee and he performed. Jennings sucked, but I didn't like that move from the beginning, just b/c I liked Willy T so much.

Wow

Edited by lockmat

McClain is just sending a message to all the free agents that NOBODY'S job is secure, so you better show him something.

Can't see why you would do it this late in the season though. Why add chaos to an already disorganized team ? Let everyone finish out the season. It's not like this will motivate fans to go buy tickets. Alot of folks around here really like Garner.

I do applaud McClain's choice in G.M. perhaps that will shut Hank Aarron up for a minute.

• 1 month later...
Roger Clemens is going to the Yankees. It's now official. I thought he was going with the team he thought had the best chance of making it to the world series. From what I heard, that's Boston.

Big surprise. At least it's over. I hope he and Andy are a big flop. :rolleyes:

After seeing this over the weekend, I am disgusted with him.

156758l.jpg

What a jerk!

• 4 weeks later...
Would be pretty cool if the Astros got A-Rod, though Drayton would never but the money up for him.

I don't know what his contract situation is. It's not terminated is it?

If someone has to resign him to a completely new deal, he's still going to ask for too much, draining funds for any other possible free agents. I don't think it's worth it. Baseball is too much of a team game and Alex just isn't clutch enough to warrant the signing. If he was, maybe he'd be worth the risk.

So I guess his contract ended? I know he filed for free agency, but I thought that he had more years on his contract. Guess not.

30 mil a year? I'm not so sure. What did we give Bags, 20/yr? Maybe I'd give him less and throw in a no trade clause. I don't see him having a down year too soon in the future.

So I guess his contract ended? I know he filed for free agency, but I thought that he had more years on his contract. Guess not.

30 mil a year? I'm not so sure. What did we give Bags, 20/yr? Maybe I'd give him less and throw in a no trade clause. I don't see him having a down year too soon in the future.

A-Rod "opted out" of his contract, therefore it is over. He is a free agent and will get a new contract. He'd definitely not worth $30 mil/year or even $20 IMO. However, watch for the Dodgers to sign Torre as their mgr and A-Rod to a bloated contract.