What Would Be Your Downtown Plan?

texasboy

Be realistic though. Make your plans match up with what is already there.

My plans would be to seperate downtown into different districts. I would make the area around Minute Maid Park a Ballpark Neighborhood and continue the tradition with loft developments with a ballpark theme. Not to tacky though. Maybe regular midrise loft developments with sportsbars, internet cafes, and restaurants at the bottom floor of the lofts.

I would continue with plans for making the area around Main Street Square focused on retail. Maybe add one more mixed use project with Houston Pavilions. Open up the bottom floor of the Humble Building for more clothing retail and other buildings with bases that can use tenants.

In the historic district, I would definitely fill in some of those surface lots with midrise infill. It seems like there are anough restaurants in the area, so I would probably lay off of the street level retail on the base of the buildings.

Near the Convention Center, I would focus on building downtown's real community/neighborhood. A great area for families. Maybe place some modern rowhome type developments facing the park for easy access for pedestrians to walk to the park from their stoops. I wouldn't change a thing about the park's plans.

I guess since there are not that many surface lots in the skyline district, I guess I would leave it alone and focus more on business like it already is.

The Theater District. I would definitely feel that there needs to be more pedestrian malls and walkways and add some big led screens to the area. Possibly place in a few midrise condos/lofts in the area.

Southend of downtown: ?? LOL, but no really ??

I would not change the plans for the bayou.

What would some of your plans be for downtown?

Get rid of all of the parking lots and force everyone to walk.

LOL perfect.

But seriously I have thought of so many things for downtown it would be imposoble to put them all in one post. Tomorrow after I get some sleep I may put a few things down. But I have gone as far as designing buildings, (for res.) figuring building costs, size of units, price of units, amenities, finding a site and factoring its cost into the equation, even calling a few places to see if they would be interested in leasing space in the "new" building. Never anything definite, just to see what their interest level is. Plus hundreds of other details. I have planned probably 25 buildings with this much info. And scores of others that have bits and pieces. As you can tell I want to be a developer. And I have a plan that could if all the pieces fall right (I hope) allow me to get into larger developments that I dream of. But it will take many years.

So yeah I will put some stuff tomorrow.

Agree on the pierce elevated piece. As much as Midtown says it would like for it to be like a gateway into midtown, it will never be a gateway as long as the bum camp remains there. And it looks hideous.

As for the one way streets, I like having the one way streets. I think most downtown areas have one way streets. I'm not arguing either way on their effectiveness for traffic, but I like them personally.

I like a lot of the original thread creator's ideas. I think a lot of areas around downtown have the names in place, just not enough connotation for anyone to call them that. Eventually I would see it as a type of "where you live" type or where something is type of reference. Someone lives in the Skyline district, that restaurant is in the historic district, etc. Of course, that would require midrises and more retail. I think we all expect massive Shamrock type complexes to come in, but I would find nothing wrong with seeing a lot of midrise rental buildings come into the area.

Agree on the pierce elevated piece.  As much as Midtown says it would like for it to be like a gateway into midtown, it will never be a gateway as long as the bum camp remains there.  And it looks hideous.

So get rid of the bums. That's the quickest & cheapest solution.

I too agree with most of Texasboy's opinions towards ideal downtown development. I would get rid of the fountains on Main St. however. I've yet to figure out their purpose.

I too agree with most of Texasboy's opinions towards ideal downtown development. I would get rid of the fountains on Main St. however. I've yet to figure out their purpose.

It would definatly be the quickest but as for being the cheapest? I suppose a concentration camp of some sort might be fairly inexpensive. Jeebus? Would you be willing to be the Commandante at a reduced salery...or maybe we should just kill 'em all?

It would definatly be the quickest but as for being the cheapest? I suppose a concentration camp of some sort might be fairly inexpensive. Jeebus? Would you be willing to be the Commandante at a reduced salery...or maybe we should just kill 'em all?

Give them all a shovel and put em on a bus for New Orleans.

It's sad that you're the one to call my theatrics that of a 7th grader, and then run to another thread to attempt to sling mud. If you want to continue the original conversation about Red Cross Debit Cards, then be grown-up enough to respond in the appropriate thread only please.

I would also remove the fountains on main. To me it seems like too much, and its a waist of space. Then I would remove the lightrail and replace it with a underground subway. There would be a main city terminal built where the Houston METRO Subway line (along with other subway lines for the inner city), Commuter rail, and Amtrack would all meet up. I would then put a rule in place to where the inner boundaries of downtown could not surface parking lots or building shorter than 10 floors. There would be a huge entertanment area with big flashing billboard signs like New Yorks Times Square, only bigger, better and more futuristic. I would get big time media companies (and create some of my own like Ted Turner and have them broadcast live from studios on street level down there.

The subways I mentioned earlier, there will be one that goes directly to the Uptown area with stops at the Galleria and the new urban center on Post Oak where it will run dirrectly under Boulevard Place, so that when people get off it will look as if they are still in the urbaninity of downtown. The subway stations will be nice and clean.

lomo_subway_motion_queen.jpg

BoulevardPlace_Lg.jpg

Back to downtown

New highrises will be added to increase residence and foot traffic.

35409486-L.jpg

35409493-M.jpg

35409491-L.jpg

35409513-L.jpg

Next I would tie the bayou in more with downtown by bringing them closer togeater:

35409539-M.jpg

35409532-L.jpg

To be continued.......

Its sad that you're the one to call my theatrics that of a 7th grader, and then run to another thread to attempt to sling mud. If you want to continue the original conversation about Red Cross Debit Cards, then be grown up enough to repspond in the appropriate thread please.

As I stated in that forum, there is no there there to your argument.

In this forum I was only responding to your callous remarks regarding "bums".

I'd get rid of all of the one-way streets except for the two or three that lead directly onto freeways.

1. i think one-ways are great (except for those who can't read traffic signage, which may be a large percentage of houston drivers :blink: )

2. there needs to be more elaboration on bum-elimination...

3. the fountains are supposed to be purty...

1. Eliminate Ground Parking Lots, build parking structures....with residential space above, with the option to build commercial on the first floors. (The idea is to wait until the downtown area densifies with people living there...spawning new interest in permanent and all-year commercial stores on street level) As of now, there are too many empty lots with cars on them.

2. Scoop up homeless, create incentives for them to live elsewhere...with work opportunities, life resources, etc.. sounds so easy.

3. Add more life and character to downtown buildings at night...I'm sick of the Christmas lights. Centerpoint Energy has the right idea.

4. In additon to the current names...Add a number to the streets, making it easier to navigate the grid.

5. Back to #1...if you build it..they will come, (but price gauging is not allowed)

6. Build a downtown grocery place, like a Gristedes in NYC...I realize Midtown has Randalls, and there's a Kroger on West Gray, but downtown will need a smaller version somewhere.

7. Develop the Bayou area: clean it up, illuminate it more, start with a solid and safe walking corridor along bayou.

8. Encourage more nightlife and foot traffic by blocking off more streets at night.

9. Do something with that horrid abandoned building across from Minute Maid Park (the one with the rusty fire stairs hanging over the sidewalk)

10. Tone down the imported 'gangsta' crowd on Main.

1. Eliminate Ground Parking Lots, build parking structures....with residential space above, with the option to build commercial on the first floors.  (The idea is to wait until the downtown area densifies with people living there...spawning new interest in permanent and all-year commercial stores on street level)    As of now, there are too many empty lots with cars on them. 

2. Scoop up homeless, create incentives for them to live elsewhere...with work opportunities, life resources, etc.. sounds so easy. 

3. Add more life and character to downtown buildings at night...I'm sick of the Christmas lights.  Centerpoint Energy has the right idea. 

4. In additon to the current names...Add a number to the streets, making it easier to navigate the grid.

5. Back to #1...if you build it..they will come, (but price gauging is not allowed)

6. Build a downtown grocery place, like a Gristedes in NYC...I realize Midtown has Randalls, and there's a Kroger on West Gray, but downtown will need a smaller version somewhere.

7. Develop the Bayou area: clean it up, illuminate it more, start with a solid and safe walking corridor along bayou. 

8. Encourage more nightlife and foot traffic by blocking off more streets at night.

9. Do something with that horrid abandoned building across from Minute Maid Park (the one with the rusty fire stairs hanging over the sidewalk) 

10.  Tone down the imported 'gangsta' crowd on Main.

I like all of that, but the blocking of the street part has to be gone. Go to any other major city like New York, or Los Angeles, cars and people co-exist togeather.

I love the light rail appearance. It does add to the atmosphere.

I do also agree about the market forces. They are the best way to determine when a place is ready to move forward. It's what is behine the Pavilions project. They are making an investment in the city. Yes, they will get some tax abatements and assistance, but they are in the form of bonds that will be paid off by the TIRZ and not taxpayer money directly.

The light rail and the fountains need to stay. They help give downtown a sense of place. However, I think the rail cars should be more visable. Paint them bright red.

Not only would it give downtown a needed jolt of color, perhaps it would help to get motorists' attention and reduce collisions.

Archived