I-10 Construction To Prevent Catastrophic Flooding 2011

J008

It has been a while, but I seem to remember some discussion that TxDOT was short on the drainage detention they needed to mitigate the increase cover from the new feeder.  TxDOT was looking at another site for detention on the south side of I-10, but the environmental issues could not be overcome.  Anyone remember this? 

I remember discussions from when they were submerging 59 near montrose, that part of the reason was to flood if needed.

Property (vehicular) damage is a better outcome than Property (real) damage.

I imagine I-10 was deisigned the same way.   Yes, adding detention ponds are meant to give floods somethign to fill up first and help the overall situation but ultimately, losing a few hundred cars on 10 and 59 is way cheaper than flooding in the Heights, Washington Cooridor, Montrose, and the Musuem District

I remember discussions from when they were submerging 59 near montrose, that part of the reason was to flood if needed.

Property (vehicular) damage is a better outcome than Property (real) damage.

I imagine I-10 was deisigned the same way.   Yes, adding detention ponds are meant to give floods somethign to fill up first and help the overall situation but ultimately, losing a few hundred cars on 10 and 59 is way cheaper than flooding in the Heights, Washington Cooridor, Montrose, and the Musuem District

I honestly think they should bury most of the freeways for this purpose! They can act as emergency flood control!

• The title was changed to I-10 Construction To Prevent Catastrophic Flooding 2011

Archived