Midtown TIRZ

Joke

The east side of Midtown is definitely more low-key/long-term.

So many townhomes on the east side. There are some bars/clubs on the east side (the clubs don't seem to last though), and the bars are more 'chill spots' than 'let's get hammered' spots. 13 Celsius, MvC, even the new place down near Luigis, it's a chill type place.

The west side is all apartments and clubs and bars to go get f---ed up at. There are some obvious exceptions on both sides, but yeah. They're growing up as different sections of the same area.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bobruss said:

Maybe instead of taking a good portion of the funds from the TIrz to buy homes and property in the third ward, they should use those funds to upgrade lighting, streets and landscaping and promote the east side of Midtown more.

Why?

Why?

It seems that they have plenty of improvement projects they could be doing to improve the east side of Midtown, rather than buying property outside the Midtown TIRZ 2. They have been buying hundreds of properties outside of the TIRZ jurisdiction whose boundaries are 59 east, 59 south Pierce elevated on the north, and the spur and Bagby on the west. At one time Midtown was part of the third ward, however this TIRZ wasn't planned for the 3rd ward. It was developed by a group who wanted to energize the Midtown area. Now they're taking part of those funds for Congressman Coleman and developer David Womack to develop 3rd ward projects. Sounds a little fuzzy.

If I lived within the Midtown TIRZ I would be asking the powers that be, why they are diverting funds to purchase these properties instead of hiring security and making lighting, landscaping and the general improvements that have been made on the west side. I would imagine the early developers owned most of their land on the west side of Main and didn't really care about the East side. Just speculating.

3 hours ago, bobruss said:

Why?

It seems that they have plenty of improvement projects they could be doing to improve the east side of Midtown, rather than buying property outside the Midtown TIRZ 2. They have been buying hundreds of properties outside of the TIRZ jurisdiction whose boundaries are 59 east, 59 south Pierce elevated on the north, and the spur and Bagby on the west. At one time Midtown was part of the third ward, however this TIRZ wasn't planned for the 3rd ward. It was developed by a group who wanted to energize the Midtown area. Now they're taking part of those funds for Congressman Coleman and developer David Womack to develop 3rd ward projects. Sounds a little fuzzy.

If I lived within the Midtown TIRZ I would be asking the powers that be, why they are diverting funds to purchase these properties instead of hiring security and making lighting, landscaping and the general improvements that have been made on the west side. I would imagine the early developers owned most of their land on the west side of Main and didn't really care about the East side. Just speculating.

Interesting. I thought TIRZ 7 funds were primarily used for 3rd Ward redevelopment; however, I believe Coleman's legislative district extends into TIRZ 2 boundaries. 

Not sure if it's been brought up in other threads but what is the timeline for developing all of this land in third ward?  There is no way possible they could cohesively develop the patchwork of land they own.

Thats the point. They don't want large developments. They are buying it up so no developers like Larry Davis can come in and put together large scale projects, which is fine but they are taking properties out of circulation for others that want to move into the area and fix up a home. It makes it an uneven playing field, and I've seen some very shoddy construction in some of the single family homes going up and it concerns me when a politician comes in to take control of a neighborhood. I know he says he's trying to save the integrity of the ward but I haven't seen anyone in Houston ever take these measures to control large numbers of property.

As a resident of the third ward that frequents midtown I think I'll make it a point to start going to tirz meetings.  I can't find the map now but believe there is a unkempt parcel of land they own within one block of me.

There is a map on this thread and a list of properties owned by the Midtown Redevelopment Authority.  I'd also like to go to a meeting, since I've been trying to buy property in the Third Ward area, and am not having any luck.  The builders are receiving incentives to build "affordable" housing, but in reality, the houses are not affordable at all.  There is a lot more to the situation, but I have not been able to get to the bottom of it yet.  Anyone that would like to know more or help me dig around, please let me know!  

18 minutes ago, ew2003 said:

There is a map on this thread and a list of properties owned by the Midtown Redevelopment Authority.  I'd also like to go to a meeting, since I've been trying to buy property in the Third Ward area, and am not having any luck.  The builders are receiving incentives to build "affordable" housing, but in reality, the houses are not affordable at all.  There is a lot more to the situation, but I have not been able to get to the bottom of it yet.  Anyone that would like to know more or help me dig around, please let me know!  

I'll be attending meetings when I'm back in town in 3 weeks.  I'm not sure which is the appropriate meeting to go so I'll just attend them all.  I believe most of the properties they own are currently vacant according to HCAD.  This concerns me as a resident of third ward because vacant lots need proper attention to ensure they don't into a trash dump. This will also artificially slow down development because they can't develop properties if they're spending all the money to acquire new ones.

20 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

I'll be attending meetings when I'm back in town in 3 weeks.  I'm not sure which is the appropriate meeting to go so I'll just attend them all.  I believe most of the properties they own are currently vacant according to HCAD.  This concerns me as a resident of third ward because vacant lots need proper attention to ensure they don't into a trash dump. This will also artificially slow down development because they can't develop properties if they're spending all the money to acquire new ones.

Looks like the next board meeting is June 30 at 12:30.  Will try to make that one.

http://houstonmidtown.com/event/midtown-redevelopment-authority-board-meeting-6/

22 hours ago, ew2003 said:

Maybe the Houston Chronicle will break a story on this. Don't laugh, it could happen.

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Maybe the Houston Chronicle will break a story on this. Don't laugh, it could happen.

lol the Chronicle is a joke.  The only paper that might touch this is Houston Press...maybe?

Apart from HCC what is there in East Mid Town to attract Houstonians who do not live there to visit the area? 

I know there was an effort recently to revitalize Baldwin park but I have not been there in over 10 years so I don't know the vibe around that park.

If UH was in HCCs location downtown and the university (and of course Midtown) would have a totally different feel. 

Our University trifecta clustered around TMC is close to Downtown by Houston standards, but too far for the feel to carry. Don't get me wrong, the whole UH, TSU, Rice, TMC area is one of the best things about our city. However,  the devide between our urban activity clusters are either physically really wide or mentally wide. While at Rice they told us try to stay away from the areas east of TMC.

Can you imagine how campus life would feel if residents benefitted more from the entertainment and retail in west midtown?  Conversely,  can you imagine how much more lively Midtown would feel if it benefit from the college town feel of 3 major schools and a 100,000 person medical center.?

UH is less of a commuter school now because of the additional on campus residents,  but it still feels like a commuter school because of the fortress type set up.

Pardon my ramble but midtown location is the best in Texas. It is too good not to have a major draw like a university,  a major attraction like an aquarium,  zoo, collection of museums,  etc

The rail makes it convenient,  but people like stumbling from one thing to the other. Not going from isolated island to isolated island

The MidMain area which isn't that easterly is probably the closest thing to a draw outside of the typical Midtown area.  I've gone to a few shows at MATCH and Continental club and had friends drive in from out of town to do the same.  

Baldwin Park is a beautiful park with old live oak trees, playground, jogging path, and baseball diamond.  I often see people there jogging, hanging out, and LARPing.  I kinda wish they would have small events there more often as Midtown Art in the Park Is the only event I've known about since moving to the area.  

As for the location of universities yeah it would be nice but that's not going to change.  

There is also the stigma about East Midtown being less safe compared to West Midtown.  Some of this probably warranted but I'm hoping with the Alameda yards(Axelrad, Luigi's, and Retrospect coffee) that other businesses realize they can be successful in East Midtown.  The best we can hope for is that money from the TIRZ is used to revitalize the Midtown East area and make all of Midtown a destination location.

On 6/8/2016 at 9:16 PM, BeerNut said:

As a resident of the third ward that frequents midtown I think I'll make it a point to start going to tirz meetings.  I can't find the map now but believe there is a unkempt parcel of land they own within one block of me.

Speaking as a long-time Third Ward resident, I think your attending the TIRZ meetings is a good idea.  Just understand that Third Ward has an active community that is looking for a certain type of development.  I look at efforts by Garnett Coleman, who is a politician, but is also a long-time resident, as positive.  Unlike some other gentrifying areas in the city, Third Ward is still the political and financial epicenter for many African Americans in Houston.  As I've said in previous posts, efforts to significantly change Third Ward won't happen.  There is money and influence with long-time residents.  Instead of looking to recreate greater Third Ward in Midtown's image, consider how you can, as a newcomer, add to and improve what is there.   

11 hours ago, quietstorm said:

Speaking as a long-time Third Ward resident, I think your attending the TIRZ meetings is a good idea.  Just understand that Third Ward has an active community that is looking for a certain type of development.

Would you elaborate on what that kind of development is?

1 hour ago, ADCS said:

Would you elaborate on what that kind of development is?

Projects that enhance/expand on Third Ward's history (i.e.,Emancipation Park & Dowling Street renovations). Other examples are listed at the OST/Almeda redevelopment site and here:

http://urbanedge.blogs.rice.edu/tag/ostalmeda-corridors-redevelopment-authority/#.V17OivQ8LCQ

3 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Anybody can have outage for their tax dollars being handled in a manner they disagree with.

Your point is valid, but the tax dollars of those who disagree don't supersede the tax dollars of those who agree with the way the TIRZ is spending the funds and have, as long-time residents been paying taxes in the area for years. My family and I have and support the TIRZ efforts. 

2 hours ago, quietstorm said:

Projects that enhance/expand on Third Ward's history (i.e.,Emancipation Park & Dowling Street renovations). Other examples are listed at the OST/Almeda redevelopment site and here:

http://urbanedge.blogs.rice.edu/tag/ostalmeda-corridors-redevelopment-authority/#.V17OivQ8LCQ

What about improved housing stock? It seems that this has been consistently opposed, in fears of tax/rent associated displacement.

On 6/12/2016 at 9:30 PM, BeerNut said:

So the map indicates Emancipation Park and several of the major roads in the Third Ward.  Here is the last meeting's agenda.  http://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirz/agendas/7agenda.pdf

Speaking of agendas.  I reviewed the MRA agenda from March and found something pretty interesting.  Apparently the MRA voted to sell an ENTIRE city block (2002 Live Oak) to HOU Homes for $1.50 psf, totaling $93,750.  AND they'll reimburse development costs AND reimburse $11,000 - $30,000 per townhouse sold.  They're estimating to build 31 townhouses on the block.

http://houstonmidtown.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/MRA-Minutes-03.31.16.pdf

@BeerNut What are your thoughts on that?

1 hour ago, ADCS said:

What about improved housing stock? It seems that this has been consistently opposed, in fears of tax/rent associated displacement.

Not sure what you mean by "opposition to improved housing stock". The Riverside properties project, Maywood, etc. are building new homes on the area with the support of the community. By improved housing do you mean the types of townhome farms that we consistently deride on HAIF? With that, there are townhomes and McMansions that are being built in Third Ward. Again, the type of rapid/wholesale gentrification that has happened in areas like Fourth Ward/Freedman's Town won't happen in Third Ward. Those who seek to move into the area and improve it are welcome; however, if the goal is to redefine Third Ward into something resembling the west side of Midtown, or to replace long-time residents, it's unlikely that will happen. There are too many long-time professional, politically-minded and civically engaged Third Ward residents.  

17 minutes ago, quietstorm said:

Not sure what you mean by "opposition to improved housing stock". The Riverside properties project, Maywood, etc. are building new homes on the area with the support of the community. By improved housing do you mean the types of townhome farms that we consistently deride on HAIF? With that, there are townhomes and McMansions that are being built in Third Ward. Again, the type of rapid/wholesale gentrification that has happened in areas like Fourth Ward/Freedman's Town won't happen in Third Ward. Those who seek to move into the area and improve it are welcome; however, if the goal is to redefine Third Ward into something resembling the west side of Midtown, or to replace long-time residents, it's unlikely that will happen. There are too many long-time professional, politically-minded and civically engaged Third Ward residents.  

By improved housing stock, I mean better land uses for the context. Since it's in central Houston, that means denser housing and transit-oriented development. My biggest knock against the townhouse farm is its seclusion from the streetscape.

I guess there's the rub - how do you "improve" the area without adding denser housing and amenities that will attract people from outside the area? How do you make any changes to the streetscape without triggering gentrification fears?

Archived