HAIF Contest Four

editor

This is the fourth of five HAIF contests.

We're having a series of five contests here at HAIF. Partially to thank our loyal readers for 3+ years of quality discussions, and partially just for fun. Each contest will be slightly different, but in all no purchase will be necessary.

The winner gets a spiffy new HAIF T-Shirt (size "large") available nowhere else.

HAIFShirt.jpg

You could call it a "limited edition" because it says "Architecture Capitol of Texas" instead of "Architecture Capital of Texas." Or you could just call it free.

True or False: Wells Fargo Plaza in downtown Houston was intentionally designed in the shape of a dollar sign.

First correct answer wins the shirt. You only get to answer once. No fair posting True and then postinf False right after, or the other way around. If there are multiple correct answers, the first one posted wins. Yes, moderators can enter and win, too.

Believe it or not, sevfiv wins. The idea that the building was deliberately designed as dollar bill is an urban legend. The architect of the building, Richard Keating, e-mailed me about it a couple of months ago to correct this myth.

The e-mail exchange that followed included questions from HAIF members for him, and it became Ten Questions with Richard Keating.

sevfiv: PM me your name and mailing address and I'll get the shirt out tomorrow.

Believe it or not, sevfiv wins.  The idea that the building was deliberately designed as dollar bill is an urban legend. The architect of the building, Richard Keating, e-mailed me about it a couple of months ago to correct this myth.

People hate to give up their urban myths.

Imagine how many barroom arguments we can get into with that bit of information! :D

I for one vote for coffee mugs - since Im a 2x --- Im 6'4" so I cant really fit into a xl, but what the hell.

Also it might be wise to have a disignated contest time - ie. 2nd tuesday of the month @ noon, or 7 pm ---- I didnt know we had a contest until it was long over. Just a thought.

Do I get a shirt if I guess why it was designed like that in the first place?

Anyway, if you look at the tower from certain angles, it is either reaaaly wide, or really narrow, but, it always looks curvy.. The architect wanted to give the tower a sleeker look , that would somehow break up the mass, and give it a sleeker look, thus, making the wide end seem smaller, and the narrow end seem larger. (As far as I can guess! :P)

• The title was changed to HAIF Contest Four

Archived