TxDOT Planning 2 New Ramps For I-45/South Loop Interchange

JLWM8609

The article incorrectly states that there is no connection from I-45 south to I-610 east and there are no plans to build a connection. Maybe there's no plans to build a connection because a connection from I-45 south to I-610 east has existed since the late 70s?

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Ramps-planned-to-ease-I-45-and-I-610-southern-4879771.php?cmpid=btfpm

There isn't a ramp connecting I-45 south to I-610 east. There is an exit for 35south/ 610west/ 610east. From this exit road you can first exit 35, next 610 west or follow this exit road straight where there is an exit for 45 south, then another exit to 610 east feeder road. Finally this feeds onto 610 east. This connector is not direct, but it does not require the driver to stop like the other two connections do. That is probably why this one is not being built.

The last exit does take you to 610 east feeder road. The left lanes take you to 610 east mainlanes. I guess I am with the chronicle in the definition of a direct connector. This series of following the signs as I described before to take you to 610 east mainlanes is indirect to me. The article states that a direct ramp to bypass this will not be built. 

Arguing the pt of whether the i45 S to 610 east ramp is direct connector or not is probably not worth the energy we've put forth.

However, I would like TxDOT to resigned the whole I45, 610 east, 225 exchange in something like how they're handling 290, 610, I10 on the west side. 

The amount that 225 backs up in the morning and afternoon is crazy. If they would add a direct 225 to I45 connector (thereby bypassing the merging and jockeying for position on 610), the backups could definitely be reduced. ROW might have to be purchased, but it should be relatively cheap on the east side of 610 east (those apartments look pretty shady). 

With as much as this is very industrial (or at least road usage-wise), I'm surprised that this hasn't happened sooner -- as we all know, politicians listen to $ and there's lots of oil / petrochem $ in that area. Plus the neighborhoods that might object do not have that much $ and the little organization that does exist is busy fighting the Keystone pipeline (good luck w/ that :-P).

Arguing the pt of whether the i45 S to 610 east ramp is direct connector or not is probably not worth the energy we've put forth.

However, I would like TxDOT to resigned the whole I45, 610 east, 225 exchange in something like how they're handling 290, 610, I10 on the west side. 

The amount that 225 backs up in the morning and afternoon is crazy. If they would add a direct 225 to I45 connector (thereby bypassing the merging and jockeying for position on 610), the backups could definitely be reduced. ROW might have to be purchased, but it should be relatively cheap on the east side of 610 east (those apartments look pretty shady). 

With as much as this is very industrial (or at least road usage-wise), I'm surprised that this hasn't happened sooner -- as we all know, politicians listen to $ and there's lots of oil / petrochem $ in that area. Plus the neighborhoods that might object do not have that much $ and the little organization that does exist is busy fighting the Keystone pipeline (good luck w/ that :-P).

There was an effort in the 70's to put 225 right through the east side but that effort was squashed by a very passionate neighborhood protest, and that plan is dead forever.

Freeways destroy neighborhoods and it's good at least one stood up to an expansion and won.

There was an effort in the 70's to put 225 right through the east side but that effort was squashed by a very passionate neighborhood protest, and that plan is dead forever.

Freeways destroy neighborhoods and it's good at least one stood up to an expansion and won.

I'm not arguing for 225 to go through any neighborhood. I'm well aware that neighborhood opposition killed the Harrisburg freeway.

What I called for is direct I45 to 225 connectors along the stretch of 610 east much like what 290 to I10 will have along 610 west (after the construction that's going on now is completed). Check out the my290 website animations to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about:

http://www.my290.com/animations.html

I'm not arguing for 225 to go through any neighborhood. I'm well aware that neighborhood opposition killed the Harrisburg freeway.

What I called for is direct I45 to 225 connectors along the stretch of 610 east much like what 290 to I10 will have along 610 west (after the construction that's going on now is completed). Check out the my290 website animations to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about:

http://www.my290.com/animations.html

Okay that makes more sense.

• The title was changed to TxDOT Planning 2 New Ramps For I-45/South Loop Interchange

Archived