Crime and Inequality

august948

• 4 weeks later...

The Republican route of slashing education funding and reducing investments in their communities will only exacerbate crime and inequality.

As we've seen over the past 30 years, increasing funding for education doesn't increase test scores, it only increases the size of the stadia.

I supplied the link in post #36, they explain their methodology at length, judge it as you wish.

"Analysis is confined to households with one or more children."

Very convenient, when so many illegal immigrants are young men working and sending money home to their family. Anyway, it makes your statement "70% of the undocumented population of Texas must rely on some form of government assistance" false. It is 69% of the households with one+ child.

Edited by kylejack

As we've seen over the past 30 years, increasing funding for education doesn't increase test scores, it only increases the size of the stadia.

Increasing funding? Texas has been slashing educational funding to the point where school districts are running on fumes.

false

The website states very clearly that welfare services being mainly designed for families, not single young men, that was the focus of their analysis; so I apologize for carelessly replacing the phrase "households with children" with the word "population" in my second post on the subject. That was indeed unconscionable, though my main point, which I think related to my continual cognitive dissonance with the story told in the media about Texas, was ignored in any case. Your larger point, and I apologize again if there was not one, remains elusive to me though. Since the percentage of documented immigrants (which 40 to 50% of illegal immigrants start out as) living with children is higher, and the percentage of undocumented immigrants living with children much higher, to begin with than that for native adults, the data is kinder - if you are an anti-welfare-type, as many on the forum seem to be - to the native population. Of course the distinction between immigrant and native-born population impacts obviously is becoming meaningless anyway and so hopefully will be abandoned.

So can we afford, in 2013, to lose the sturdy myth that the typical immigrant remains a "single young man sending money home to his family"? The progressive, surely pro-unlimited immigration public radio entity "Marketplace" thinks so:

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/wealth-poverty/who-are-11-million-undocumented-immigrants

• 2 weeks later...

just have to look at historical data. increased spending doesn't increase test scores.

I tend to agree with this. Millions more can be spent however, if the home is dysfunctional, the parents thugs and crack addicts or watch too much tv... not much hope remains for the kids. The kids will follow the parents' lead.

That's likely why much of hisd is full of thugs.

I tend to agree with this. Millions more can be spent however, if the home is dysfunctional, the parents thugs and crack addicts or watch too much tv... not much hope remains for the kids. The kids will follow the parents' lead.

That's likely why much of hisd is full of thugs.

But not in schools where the parents care and are involved. Our schools are getting cheated by the reductions in per student funding.

• 3 weeks later...

The only way to help them is through education and showing them first-hand examples of successful people. The Republican route of slashing education funding and reducing investments in their communities will only exacerbate crime and inequality.

Unfortunately increasing money for schools tends to go nowhere (teachers unions, bureaucracy, a new press box for the stadium). And decreasing money just hurts teachers overall. Vicious cycle.