Houston City Council approves safe-passing ordinance

I think that the moral of this story is that there are a-holes that drive cars and there are also a-holes that ride bikes. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way to pass legislation that criminalizes being an a-hole.

I almost hit a motorist who ran a stop sign. I've had motorists yell obscenities at me as they attempt to cut me off in traffic.

The difference is that the people you complain of are operating vehicles that weigh 2 to 3 tons less than the ones doing it to me. Further, there are literally millions of motorists on the roads daily versus literally thousands of cyclists. 

Would you like some cream with your hot steaming cup of manufactured outrage?

I'm not the outraged bunch who complained to city council in order to get this ordinance passed that ultimately won't make the cyclists safer. But I'm sure they feel better now.

I'm not the outraged bunch who complained to city council in order to get this ordinance passed that ultimately won't make the cyclists safer. But I'm sure they feel better now.

Yes, I do feel better that an ordinance was passed that already existed in most other major Texas cities. Passing closer than 3 feet is dangerous, like an unsafe lane change or speeding.

you're cynical, musicman. ill give you that.

Critical Mass is really not a problem in this city. In some places, yes, they break as many laws as they can, but Houston's Critical Mass has always been completely respectful of other people using the road. I've never seen them take more than one lane (on roads with multiple lanes) and they have a good relationship with HPD.

Is that a joke?

I'm actually part of Critical Mass. I've been biking with them for 7 months now. There is a group within Critical Mass that is really trying to cause trouble. (Depending on your viewpoint, you may think we all are trying to cause problems with the Critical Mass event). They yell at drivers. They flip off drivers. They purposely go in the way of oncoming traffic to force them to stop. Hell, even HPD had a helicopter following us on Washington Ave just at the last event! Some of the police officers are taking notice and even gave out fines at the last event... a cop told the bicyclist to stop via their loud speaker. One bicyclist yelled out "F that!" and ran on through and got pulled over.

Yeah, there are some splinter groups from Critical Mass. I understand that one of them is the trouble making group. Other groups have blacklisted members of that group precisely to keep that stuff from happening. There are bad apples in every barrel.

I was talking with City Council candidate Jenifer Rene Pool about this... in some ways, the Safe Passing ordinance is much more important in Houston than it may be in other cities, because we lack so many sidewalks. Most pedestrians and disabled persons are going to use the road because it's their only option. Considering that 5 people in wheelchairs were struck last year due to careless drivers, this is much more than a new HPD revenue stream.  Until we get moving on complete streets, we really REALLY need this ordinance. 

Yeah, there are some splinter groups from Critical Mass. I understand that one of them is the trouble making group. Other groups have blacklisted members of that group precisely to keep that stuff from happening. There are bad apples in every barrel.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, it's always a few bad apples that somehow seem to ruin it for the rest of us. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Critical Mass. I just worry about the image we cast because of those few people that are trying to cause trouble.

Yes, I do feel better that an ordinance was passed that already existed in most other major Texas cities. Passing closer than 3 feet is dangerous, like an unsafe lane change or speeding.

I'm not sure i can make a living off of mindreading but you seem to perpetuate the idea.

well i guess the 2 to 3 ton difference might get rid of a few bad apples.

You're right, that's why I ride with a loaded gun. This is Texas after all and I'd love to squeeze one off in a legally justified way that would get rid of a few bad apples as well. 

You're right, that's why I ride with a loaded gun. This is Texas after all and I'd love to squeeze one off in a legally justified way that would get rid of a few bad apples as well. 

that's gotta be hard to conceal in spandex

You think a car will protect you from a bullet?

Are you a good enough to pull your weapon while riding one handed and then hit the driver in a car speeding by in a window of 10 to 15 seconds before he starts to pull out of effective range? It's not as easy as you might think unless you already have some practice at it.

Or are some innocent bystanders likely to take the bullet instead?

I only need to shoot the tires and make a police report. Also I can ride without using my hands and can shoot with one hand, so it's totally worth killing a criminal even if I get knocked off my bike. Sorry if you don't like being dished what your serving but if you think this proud Texan is just gonna let criminals threaten endanger my life with aggravated deadly conduct I got one question for ya then:

do-you-feel-lucky-punk1.png

I've seen enough cowboy and indian movies to know you can hit a moving target from horseback at a few hundred yards, no hands on the reins, with either a long gun, or a bow and arrow.

I'm confident after having witnessed these movies myself, that riding on a bicycle (which rolls very smooth compared to a horse at full gallop) that a person could shoot out the tires of a moving vehicle with a handgun. 

In fact, I've also seen enough die hard and lethal weapon type movies to know that one bullet shot in a tire will cause the car to flip, when it lands on the roof it will ignite into a fireball decimating an entire city block.

It would be customary to make some comment as the heat of the fireball licks your cheek, recommended comments:

"it's just been revoked"

"you're a disease, and I'm the cure"

"Chill out" 

"Kaaaaaaaahhhhhhnnnn!!!"

Just when you thought it was safe to buzz a cyclist in your dually, now you got to worry about the lone wolf terrorist biker going all Billy Jack on yo azz. What happened to the Houston I knew where we could roll queers on Friday night without fear of being attacked?     :(

I only need to shoot the tires and make a police report. Also I can ride without using my hands and can shoot with one hand, so it's totally worth killing a criminal even if I get knocked off my bike. Sorry if you don't like being dished what your serving but if you think this proud Texan is just gonna let criminals threaten endanger my life with aggravated deadly conduct I got one question for ya then:

The tires on a car moving away from you are a pretty small target. Unless you ride with your pistol in-hand it'll take you a few seconds at least to process and react, by which time he'll likely be a ways down the road.

While I empathize with you about reducing the criminal population, in all likelihood you'll end up on the ground having gotten off maybe one shot (if you're using a gun of a worthwhile caliber). Given that a lot of Texans carry in their cars, and if your shot doesn't go wild and the driver even realizes he's being shot at, there's a fair chance he'll stop and pull his own weapon out from under the seat and then it's him behind his car vs you behind your bike. Then the question becomes, do YOU feel lucky?

Just when you thought it was safe to buzz a cyclist in your dually, now you got to worry about the lone wolf terrorist biker going all Billy Jack on yo azz. What happened to the Houston I knew where we could roll queers on Friday night without fear of being attacked?     :(

Art Wren's closed and,...well...that was that...

The tires on a car moving away from you are a pretty small target. Unless you ride with your pistol in-hand it'll take you a few seconds at least to process and react, by which time he'll likely be a ways down the road.

While I empathize with you about reducing the criminal population, in all likelihood you'll end up on the ground having gotten off maybe one shot (if you're using a gun of a worthwhile caliber). Given that a lot of Texans carry in their cars, and if your shot doesn't go wild and the driver even realizes he's being shot at, there's a fair chance he'll stop and pull his own weapon out from under the seat and then it's him behind his car vs you behind your bike. Then the question becomes, do YOU feel lucky?

Just a joke'n if you can't tell. I'm just sayin you don't know who's carrying and who's not and that's why folks ought to be more mindful. 

Just a joke'n if you can't tell. I'm just sayin you don't know who's carrying and who's not and that's why folks ought to be more mindful.

I half figured that was the case, but got intrigued by the scenario of a guy on a bike with a pistol vs a guy with a potential arsenal in a dually. I couldn't see a way that would turn out well unless you're an exceptional shot. ;)

Archived