Springhill Suites Hotel At 914 Dallas St.

Houston19514

I'd imagine a lot of downtown business travelers eat room service or in the hotel lobby.

Houstonians supposedly eat out more than citizens of any other American city. I'd imagine the average downtown resident eats out more than the average Houstonian. Demographics would likely back that up (higher incomes, more singles, more men, etc...)

Phoenicia needs to sell food too. :)

Also you might be surprised how much we downtown yuppies eat out. I'm really lazy.

While I see the benefit of both sides, I must point out that my wife and I live downtown and spend on average $3500.00 a month eating out. Albeit, probably less than $500.00 is spent in the downtown area. However, with more new restaurants opening, we are starting to walk to dinner a little more. Edited by Andrew Broadfoot

If this hotel was going to be a high end hotel, then I might think the visitors would spend more downtown than Humble Tower Apartment residents. 

However, this is a mid-range hotel aimed at business travelers who will likely be on expense accounts. I doubt folks staying at Spring Hill Suites on a Wednesday night will be checking out shows at the Hobby, dining at Artista, or even drinking at LaCarafe. 

People who choose to live downtown right now do so either because they need to be very close to their office or they are drawn to downtown living. People drawn to downtown are MUCH more likely to explore, spend, and visit than a mid-range business traveler.

Travelers, even mid-range travelers are much more likely to explore and spend at restaurants 2-3 times a day than even the most intrepid downtown apartment resident.

Apartments have kitchens in which some people cook meals (or at least thaw a frozen something brought home from the grocery store.)   People staying in hotels, even if they have a kitchen in their rooms, most often eat out every meal of the day during their stay. 

Plus, the fact is, the hotel will almost certainly have more people residing in it than the apartments do.

I'd imagine a lot of downtown business travelers eat room service or in the hotel lobby.

Houstonians supposedly eat out more than citizens of any other American city. I'd imagine the average downtown resident eats out more than the average Houstonian. Demographics would likely back that up (higher incomes, more singles, more men, etc...)

Room service at a Springhill Suites Hotel?   Get serious, man.   Springhill Suites offers free breakfast.  The rest of the day, downtown restaurants get the benefit.  You cannot make a serious case that this conversion will be bad for downtown restaurants.

Room service at a Springhill Suites Hotel?   Get serious, man.   Springhill Suites offers free breakfast.  The rest of the day, downtown restaurants get the benefit.  You cannot make a serious case that this conversion will be bad for downtown restaurants.

Since the Marriott offers room service to Humble Tower residents currently, I see no reason why they wouldn't also offer room service to Springhill Suites.

• Like 1

This seems like an awful lot of analysis dedicated to the economic impact of the loss of 82 residence units. If that loss of revenue has a severe impact on downtown restaurants (especially considering all of the current upside) then they were probably going out of business anyway.

There are two major residential projects in the near future and a major city initiative to support future development of that kind. Downtown's population is growing. Even in the worst case scenario, this is a minor setback.

• Like 1

I agree with livincinco. Everyone knows that downtown needs more residents and hotel rooms. So the fact that we are adding 166 more hotel rooms is a plus. While losing 88 apartments is a minor setbeck, SkyhouseHouston (336 apts) and Finger's Ballpark apts (380-400 apts) will add ~720 units over the next couple of years. Also the old Texaco building will be renevated into apartments in the near future. Keep calm and carry on...

• Like 1

Since the Marriott offers room service to Humble Tower residents currently, I see no reason why they wouldn't also offer room service to Springhill Suites.

Okay, got me on the room service.  But you and KinkaidAlum are kind of stepping on your message there.  

Earlier KinkaidAlum told us that people who will stay at a Springhill Suites are on tight budgets so will supposedly not be able to spend enough to benefit downtown restaurants (as if all downtown restaurants are uber-expensive).  Now we are to believe that those travelers won't go to restaurants because they are blowing their money on room-service meals?   Which is it, guys?  Tight-fisted travelers apparently going hungry or expense account spendthrifts living it up on room service?   ;-)

Edited by Houston19514

I am not against the Spring Hill Suites. I like the idea of a midrange hotel option downtown and do think it will add to the overall vibrancy of the area. That said, I simply wish it wasn't coming at the expense of a wildly successful apartment building. 

It's not as if there's a shortage of vacant lots downtown for Spring Hill/Marriott to build on. Or, even better, why not put a Spring Hill Suites in a vacant building. There are several of those languishing on the market as well.

yeah, I know this location makes sense for Marriott because there's already a Residence Inn and Courtyard on site, but it still doesn't mean I have to like it.

• Like 1

Most of the Humble Tower people are doing one of two things: Buying a home in the burbs or finding another place in downtown/Eado/Midtown.
I have looked at a few places, my number one is Sabine Lofts, well now called Marquis on Sabine. The Marquis Management seems to be a legit management company. They do a lot of things for their residents at the Marquis Lofts on Runnels street right outside of downtown in east downtown.

There are probably about 130 people in Humble Tower (I think there are about 8 kids in the building)
As far as eating out habits of Humble Tower residents. Most of the residents here do eat out majority of the week, but we don't eat in downtown all the time. Maybe one or two days a week do people eat downtown. Thursdays, Friday's and Saturdays are when a group of us will go out. Usually drinks followed by dinner. Most places we drink at are in downtown or midtown.

A few of my neighbors are only in Houston during the work week and have homes outside of the city somewhere.

As of today Sterling Group (Management Company for the entire building, including the hotels) has not given any of the residents an official notice. Sterling hasn't even been officially told about the plan to turn the building into a hotel. They are just not allowed to extend leases after 12/31/2013. All leases end before that with the exception of two leases. Mine ends 8/31, but they are allowing me to stay month to month after that at no additional cost. I just need to give them a 60 day notice as when I intend to leave. October 31st is what I am aiming for.

• Like 1

Thanks for the first-hand info!! 

Most of the Humble Tower people are doing one of two things: Buying a home in the burbs or finding another place in downtown/Eado/Midtown.
I have looked at a few places, my number one is Sabine Lofts, well now called Marquis on Sabine. The Marquis Management seems to be a legit management company. They do a lot of things for their residents at the Marquis Lofts on Runnels street right outside of downtown in east downtown.

There are probably about 130 people in Humble Tower (I think there are about 8 kids in the building)
As far as eating out habits of Humble Tower residents. Most of the residents here do eat out majority of the week, but we don't eat in downtown all the time. Maybe one or two days a week do people eat downtown. Thursdays, Friday's and Saturdays are when a group of us will go out. Usually drinks followed by dinner. Most places we drink at are in downtown or midtown.

A few of my neighbors are only in Houston during the work week and have homes outside of the city somewhere.

As of today Sterling Group (Management Company for the entire building, including the hotels) has not given any of the residents an official notice. Sterling hasn't even been officially told about the plan to turn the building into a hotel. They are just not allowed to extend leases after 12/31/2013. All leases end before that with the exception of two leases. Mine ends 8/31, but they are allowing me to stay month to month after that at no additional cost. I just need to give them a 60 day notice as when I intend to leave. October 31st is what I am aiming for.

Some are buying in the burbs? Seems strange. I guess they're not the same ones that already have the homes there.

Why are they going from one extreme to the other?

Starting families. Or at least the ones I have talked to. Well one of my good friends when they first moved in thought they had a mini pot belly big. He was the size of a teacup puppy. Fours years later he is now the size of mastiff! He weighs over 150 pounds and is quite aggressive if he doesn't know you and you don't have food to give him. There is no where in the downtown area that will take him. ~ Buying a house seems like the best option for them right now.

Starting families. Or at least the ones I have talked to. Well one of my good friends when they first moved in thought they had a mini pot belly big. He was the size of a teacup puppy. Fours years later he is now the size of mastiff! He weighs over 150 pounds and is quite aggressive if he doesn't know you and you don't have food to give him. There is no where in the downtown area that will take him. ~ Buying a house seems like the best option for them right now.

or selling a pig.  ;-)

It seems like the people described that live there should have the dough to live in town and send their kids to private school if they wanted. Of course I don't know the details.

• 7 months later...

So my last day here is this coming Saturday. The building is at about 30% capacity. Most of everyone will be gone by next month. There are a few people that have leases until the end of January. The new owners want them all out by December. I found two weeks ago that initially Sterling Group (the joke of a management company) told those that do have a lease until the end of January that they are willing to put them up in the hotel that month. Today we found out that the management company is now asking that the residents also pay their rent while living in the hotel. Needless to say that isn't going to happen. Does anyone know if they can legally kick anyone out just because they want to start construction? Also can they even start construction/renovations with tenants still occupying the building?

• 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Humble Tower Apartments To Springhill Suites Hotel
  • The title was changed to Springhill Suites Hotel At 914 Dallas St.