J.A. Folger & Co. At 235 North Norwood St.

Orikal

I'm looking at a couple properties off Harrisburg just South of downtown near the Folger's plant. I looked up some crime stats for the area, and while they're not great, they're lower than what I was expecting. I like the area's architecture, since the majority of the homes appear to be 30's and 40's era bungalows. It's obviously a transitional neighborhood, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion, especially if you live in the district. Do you see home values rising, or do you feel it's a sketchy prospect?

It depends on what happens in the warehouse district. If occupancy rates n the newer constructions go up and spawns more development, I think you'd logically have to expect nearby and surrounding communities to feel the upward tick of it. Plus, the Eastwood area has continued to see growth and is only a few blocks south of here.

It depends on what happens in the warehouse district. If occupancy rates n the newer constructions go up and spawns more development, I think you'd logically have to expect nearby and surrounding communities to feel the upward tick of it. Plus, the Eastwood area has continued to see growth and is only a few blocks south of here.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I've really seen a rise in listing prices for the homes in Eastwood recently, but just to the North of there in the Folger's area prices continue to stay low. I've spoken with various people about the neighborhood, with mixed reviews. I've driven through there several times while looking at properties, but didn't see anything I would consider a "red light". Am I missing something? Also, how do you think the Folger's plant's presence hurts property values?

Guest danax
Thanks for the input.  Yeah, I've really seen a rise in listing prices for the homes in Eastwood recently, but just to the North of there in the Folger's area prices continue to stay low.  I've spoken with various people about the neighborhood, with mixed reviews.  I've driven through there several times while looking at properties, but didn't see anything I would consider a "red light".  Am I missing something?  Also, how do you think the Folger's plant's presence hurts property values?

I don't think the "Folgers" (It's actually Maxwell House) plant hurts values. People pay money to hang out at places where you can smell coffee roasting! However, there is a nasty train that runs along the southside of the plant. Eastwood seems to put up with it though.

Whereabouts are you looking? You said north of Maxwell House. Do you mean Magnolia Park, the neighborhood north of Harrisburg?

I don't think the "Folgers" (It's actually Maxwell House) plant hurts values. People pay money to hang out at places where you can smell coffee roasting! However, there is a nasty train that runs along the southside of the plant. Eastwood seems to put up with it though.

Whereabouts are you looking? You said north of Maxwell House. Do you mean Magnolia Park, the neighborhood north of Harrisburg?

Whoops. :P

The property is at 4200 Rusk. The MLS doesn't list a specific neighborhood, otherwise I would have included it. The area is North of Eastwood, but Southwest of the plant. The house is about 1 block from the tracks, so thanks for addressing that.

3 Bed, 2 Bath is the sweet spot of real estate these days and right at 100k is not bad for all the improvements the home has in that area. There is talk of a new shopping center (HEB???) right off of Harrisburg where the blue Dresser Industry complex is. I believe it is Dresser. Nice looking home, Close to everything, and a good price.

FSJ

Whoops.  :P

The property is at 4200 Rusk.  The MLS doesn't list a specific neighborhood, otherwise I would have included it.  The area is North of Eastwood, but Southwest of the plant.  The house is about 1 block from the tracks, so thanks for addressing that.

Guest danax
3 Bed, 2 Bath is the sweet spot of real estate these days and right at 100k is not bad for all the improvements the home has in that area. There is talk of a new shopping center (HEB???) right off of Harrisburg where the blue Dresser Industry complex is. I believe it is Dresser. Nice looking home, Close to everything, and a good price.

FSJ

I am a firm believer in the East End as an investment. I think the area is too nice a chunk of real estate to decline any more in the next 50 years and it's really not bad right now. I live on the East End several miles east of there. I would consider the 4200 block of Rusk as Eastwood, but it could be one of the other additions technically. Those blocks outside of Eastwood proper are getting bought and fixed up piece by piece. I've seen a difference in the past 3 years when I was checking the area out for a home to buy. Things just take awhile to transform in our city but actually, with the Warehouse District filling in, the demographics in that general area are shifting fairly quickly to a higher income resident. That old Stevenson and Stevenson plant on Harrisburg has been bought by Wulfe & Co, (Gulfgate, Meyerland and many others) and they're just waiting for a bonafide supermarket anchor before they begin to turn it into something. Magnolia Park to the north hasn't really started to turn yet, although I see a few of the larger old homes there being fixed up. In fact, Allison Spear Realty has one listed that is gorgeous on the outside. That's the first realty co. from "the other side of town" that I've seen listing in Mag. Park so that is a sign that the area has at least been noticed. So yes, I'm a huge believer in the East End and Eastwood in particular. I would attend one of their civic club meetings and talk to the residents. They also have a website. As for the train, I live 6 houses from a busy one and I don't hear it at night. Ears plugs and a fan probably help though :)

As for the house, it's a cute Craftsman bungalow. I can see the potential. It's just another old house that no one has paid any attention to for probably 50 years. I don't know if you know much about old houses or not. I have one that's about 100 years old and it needs a lot of work but it gives a lot of pleasure in return. That house looks like it has the old wooden window screens so the original wood windows might still be there. If so, those windows can be made to work like new again and will outlast anything you can find new. It also indicates the possiblity of not much insensitive remodeling having been done as the windows are one of the first things to fall prey to the weekend warrior, which helps a lot when restoring an old home. If it were me, I would try to find a home that had at least half of the original features, which is not always easy. The area to me is a no-brainer, it has nowhere to go but up. It just takes years.

As for the house, it's a cute Craftsman bungalow. I can see the potential. It's just another old house that no one has paid any attention to for probably 50 years. I don't know if you know much about old houses or not. I have one that's about 100 years old and it needs a lot of work but it gives a lot of pleasure in return. That house looks like it has the old wooden window screens so the original wood windows might still be there. If so, those windows can be made to work like new again and will outlast anything you can find new. It also indicates the possiblity of not much insensitive remodeling having been done as the windows are one of the first things to fall prey to the weekend warrior, which helps a lot when restoring an old home. If it were me, I would try to find a home that had at least half of the original features, which is not always easy. The area to me is a no-brainer, it has nowhere to go but up. It just takes years.

I would do a drive-by at various hours of the day and night and see what you think. Get out and walk around, see the neighborhood a little. The East End truly varies from block to block and you might find a steal on an already nice block, or you could find yourself charting new territory, surrounded by chain link fences and cars on blocks. It's crazy diverse!

Be wary of homes that have recently been remodeled in order to be sold--Usually by a absentee landlord who never cared much for the property to begin with. You are paying for those (generic) improvements, and if you are interested in restoring the property, you will pay again to undo what they have done. At this price, however, unless it has bad foundation problems, you can afford to do pretty much whatever you want.

Last bit of advice: Get a realtor that specializes in inner loop, specifically East End. You need someone who can steer you around the truly dicey areas and into some hidden gems.

Barring any major obstacles, do you think the price is just about right?  This would be our first home, and neither of us have ever restored or done any major overhauls, although I love older properties.  The back yard is very small and there's not any place to put a driveway, which would probably put our cars on the street.  I looked up crime stats for the area and there appears to be a fair amount of auto vandalism/theft.

Also, for those that live in the East; my wife and I do not have children, but plan to within the next couple years.  How are the schools in the district?

I used to live in Idylwood, so I have a natural fondness for the East End. I firmly believe that if you find a house with good bones on a good street, you really can't go wrong. Since you are first-timers, a lower-priced home like this would be good to cut your teeth on.

The only thing that concerns me is the on-street parking. I would want my car in the driveway near the back of the lot--auto burglaries are definitely a problem in the East End (Inner Loop in general). Usually a one-car-wide driveway will fit down the side of the lot, and that's all you need.

I don't have kids, so I can't comment on the schools except to say that all of my Idylwood neighbors sent their children to private or magnate schools. You still have a few years before any kids would be school-age, and by then you will probably be aching for a larger home anyways.

Guest danax
The only thing that concerns me is the on-street parking.  I would want my car in the driveway near the back of the lot--auto burglaries are definitely a problem in the East End (Inner Loop in general).  Usually a one-car-wide driveway will fit down the side of the lot, and that's all you need.

I don't have kids, so I can't comment on the schools except to say that all of my Idylwood neighbors sent their children to private or magnate schools.  You still have a few years before any kids would be school-age, and by then you will probably be aching for a larger home anyways.

I was going to say the same thing about the lack of driveway. There had to have been a driveway at some point? It most likely would've been a divided strip driveway. I found mine in decent shape buried under fill and grass. HCAD lists a garage..? Is that a bedroom addition that perhaps was built out over the old driveway? And bravo for not considering parking on the front lawn. I think I'd be more concerned with a fast driver hitting and running.

I see it has no central AC. Window units? Heaters? Has anything besides the roof and bathroom been redone, like the old sewer or plumbing? How about our friends the termites? My house had years of damage that neither the inspector discovered nor the seller disclosed. It was I that found them and there's a lot of wood that I still need to replace, including some parts of the heart pine floor :( . If there's anyway possible I would check, or have checked, the structure under the house in the crawl space. A lot of damage can be fixed but it's so much better to see it before you buy than afterwards. Jump up and down on any flooring that is covered with vinyl. $1.50 worth of sheet vinyl can cover a lot of $$$ worth of damage. How do the lines of the house look? Is the roofline showing sagging? Are pieces of the siding no longer mating? Do the angles look pretty square? Settling can be corrected but if it's been neglected too long, a chain reaction starts where the structural members start to move and shift then eventually the whole thing just falls down. The price? It depends on how much work is needed. Find as much damage as possible and negotiate down. If you lose it, another one will come along eventually. If you love it, don't let them know or they'll hold out for more. It happened to me, but that's ok, cause I still love it.

The schools; my son attended elementary for a short time and my daughter high school (Milby). They both came from a suburban setting and said the schools didn't teach as much. In general, there is less interest in education and it affects the teachers too. If they do the work though, they can more easily become stand-out students. I think parenting is more influencial than teachers and school funds and maybe as influencial as peers.

Not trying to scare you about the house, just my 2 cents from my experience, and I'm no expert by any means.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

After viewing the property, the only "driveway" there could have been in a long time is in the back yard. If you're facing the front of the home, to the left there's no room because of the close proximity of the neighbor's house. To the right there's a power line pole and what I'll loosely call a ditch. And as you mentioned there is an addition to the house that juts out to prevent any future driveway from being constructed on that side. There is a chain link gate that goes directly from the street to the back yard, so I can only assume that's where people have been parking. Either there or on the street.

From the brief walkaround I did, there are some definite issues to deal with. There are no gutters, and the ground underneath the roof overhang has been very eroded, which leads me to think about rot on the foundation. Siding does not fit snugly on various parts. The roof did look slightly bowed on the right side, although the MLS states the roof has been recently replaced; but then again they're probably just referring to shingles, and not the entire roof.

And then there's the issue of no A/C. I have no idea about any wiring/plumbing updates, so there's the possibility of an expensive renovation. A close friend of mine is a GC, so along with my help and, as long as there's not too much to be done, I know I could get a lot of quality work done inexpensively.

We've been looking long enough now that I'm convinced of the adage "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". Especially after looking at a lot of older homes in our price range.

Let me ask you if you don't mind sharing what price range your trying to stay within? I have a home that you may be intrested in and it has a 2 car garage, attached carport to the garage, 3 bed, 1 bath soon to be 1.5 Bath, the majority of the windows have been replaced with double paned windows, Central Air/Heat 2Stage Lennox system.

Lot 6,250sqft

House ~1,500sqft

Renovation needing to be completed are the remaining windows (approx 5), Tile in kitchen and bathroom, and gutters. Overall very good home located in Broadmoor (Scharpe St) which my wife and I live in presently. We are looking for a larger piece of land and even a larger house. This is due to her having a dog and me having cat's prior to our marriage and the dog does not get along with the cats who were the first occupants of the home hence the dog stays outside so now wifey wants the dog to have a playmate (another dog) to play with while we are at work.

So larger piece of land perhaps Garden Villa and home if possible. Great Neighborhood with lots of things occuring with home's getting leveled, added onto, renovated, you name it.

Thanks,

Scharpe St. Guy

Thanks for the replies everyone.

After viewing the property, the only "driveway" there could have been in a long time is in the back yard.  If you're facing the front of the home, to the left there's no room because of the close proximity of the neighbor's house.  To the right there's a power line pole and what I'll loosely call a ditch.  And as you mentioned there is an addition to the house that juts out to prevent any future driveway from being constructed on that side.  There is a chain link gate that goes directly from the street to the back yard, so I can only assume that's where people have been parking.  Either there or on the street. 

From the brief walkaround I did, there are some definite issues to deal with.  There are no gutters, and the ground underneath the roof overhang has been very eroded, which leads me to think about rot on the foundation.  Siding does not fit snugly on various parts.  The roof did look slightly bowed on the right side, although the MLS states the roof has been recently replaced; but then again they're probably just referring to shingles, and not the entire roof.

And then there's the issue of no A/C.  I have no idea about any wiring/plumbing updates, so there's the possibility of an expensive renovation.  A close friend of mine is a GC, so along with my help and, as long as there's not too much to be done, I know I could get a lot of quality work done inexpensively.

We've been looking long enough now that I'm convinced of the adage "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".  Especially after looking at a lot of older homes in our price range.

Hey Scharpe St Guy. Our price range is roughly $130K. From your description, based on the homes in the area we've already looked at, it would appear your home is out of our price range. It sounds like a great property though, and I'm sure someone will get a great deal. I looked up Scharpe St on google maps; how is the highway/train noise?

The home is corporate owned, so I'm not sure if that signifies a foreclosure.

Looks to me like one of the buy cheap & flip companies bought it for cheap, put some cheap materials into it and is lookin to make a buck or twenty thousand. You should buy one cheap yourself, and put nicer materials into it, and keep the twenty thousand for yourself.

Check out Riverview (search on har.com with Riverview in the S/D blank). I was pleasantly surprised when I drove through over there.

Guest danax
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  They just go in, fix a couple things, slap on a new coat of paint, and make some money.

Yep, that's exactly what it is. That same group has houses all around town. There's one in another East End neighborhood, Pineview Place, on Pineview Dr., that has the same ''touches". Cheap, quick coverup remuddles.

It doesn't sound like you're still considering the Rusk St. house but I went by today. It didn't look as bad in person as on the internet. There is a serious drainage problem. The recent rain showers left puddles all around and under the house. The wet, inaccessible crawlspace would be a potential termite heaven. It looks like the investor group threw out all of the original doors and windows and replaced them with cheapies. There's no way they're going to strip lead paint like an old house lover would do. Somehow, some of the original glass kitchen cabinets are still there and the original breakfast nook is cool.The hardwoods in the living and dining look cleanable but the replaced and exposed subfloor in the back bedroom is suspicious. It definitely had a driveway and 1-car garage on the side.

These kind of investors that buy and trash our heritage architecture are the scourge of historic neighborhoods. Fortunately though, most of the stuff they threw away can be painstakingly replaced so the house still has a shot at being returned to it's original splendor. In fact, one could even make the argument that these flippers help preserve these homes by taking them from being, in the eyes of most people, "dumps" and "fixing them up" enough to attract a "better" buyer, one who will possibly care for it and thus improve the dumpy surroundings by their living there.

Are the neighborhoods of Garden Villas, Glenbrook Valley, Meadowbrook Freeway, & Meadowcreek Village too far out for you? They are a wee bit further, not much. But you can still get a great house for $130k range. Of course most of those are more 50's vintage, with the exception of Garden Villas.

• The title was changed to J.A. Folger & Co. At 235 North Norwood St.

Archived