Sign in to follow this  
lockmat

10 Waterway Avenue office building in The Woodlands

Wow so there are two condo high rise proposals along the waterway.

http://impactnews.com/articles/woodlands-development-company-plans-large-scale-town-center-projects

10 Waterway was mentioned in this article:

http://app.newsletter.bisnow.com/e/es.aspx?s=2636&e=9628&elq=b4a6a7105cb4433da3dc32a86f82d594

It says that it is going to be 600k SF I assumed it would be a office building.

oops, you're right. I don't know what made me think it was a condo tower. I guess it looks like it could pass for one. I have a ticket in to editor to have the title changed. Thanks

I don't think that's the location of the 600k building. I think that might be a new rendering for the condo tower. The location looks about right for the condo tower. Not sure tho.

yup. that must be the 600k square foot building. howard hughes sucks. they are going to completely f up the waterway square plan by placing a really tall building right on the waterway. it takes away from the human scale originally planned around waterway square.. they are going for bang for the buck. it dwarfs the brownstones and lofts. i can see they are giddy to maximize profits at the cost of good planning. just stick the most square footage where the demand is greatest regardless of the scale. ridiculous. booooooo!

It is interesting that they decided to build one 600k SF building when they still have other parcels of land to still build on. I wonder why they decided to build such a large building when they could build several smaller sized buildings on their other parcels. Maybe they have a company in mind that is looking for that amount of SF. I also find it interesting that they decided to break ground on their Hughes Landing development before building out their entire Waterway Square development.

• Like 1

that's just it fortune........there were three shorter buildings planned for the "super block" on the south side of waterway square...that opened up to and complimented waterway square on the north and now this monstrosity. it wouldn't bother me so much if it was offset from the waterway, like 24 waterway in front of the fountain. 24 waterway is 14 stories and set back. the hotel will be similar to 24 waterway in height (at least it was, who knows now).

i can't tell from the rendering, but retail on the first floor and around the second fountain would soften it at the pedestrian level. at least that may still happen.

it just rubs me wrong....like "hughes landing" at lake woodlands. they are abandoning even the "woodlands way" of naming things. hughes landing is a pr name for the howard hughes corporation. just stupid.

don't get me wrong...i love a new tall structure just for the childlike satisfaction it brings; but why mess with a good thing? 10 waterway is TOO TALL for that location.

Yea these articles mention the three shorter buildings and the extension of Waterway Square south, there is even a rendering of the buildings. They are dated from February of this year so hopefully they will still be built.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/woodlands/news/waterway-square-extension-targeted-for/article_f8e287bd-9fde-56d4-b37a-59fdbc5aebd9.html?mode=story

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2012/02/the-woodlands-considers-developing.html

• Like 1

if you look at the map, the three shorter building are on timberloch. the big building, 10 waterway, looks like a mixed use with parking. residential brownstones or townhomes lining the waterway square "extension" from the waterway to timberloch and more residential on the south side of timberloch behind the three shorter buildings. oh well, i wonder if they will have pre-construction discounts on the residential.......

Is the scaling off? That doesn't look like a 600k foot building to me---especially when compared to the SMALLER Anadarko towers. Anybody?

24 waterway is 308,000 square feet including the retail, 14 stories on the right of the picture above. 10 waterway avenue is at least 20 stories tall with a larger floor plate.

If they are 25k floor plates, that's 4 floors for every 100k of sqft. 6x4 is 24 floors. I think that's about what this tower is.

the existing anadarko tower is 800,000 square feet with what appears to be a narrower floor plate; hence the taller structure. also, consider that 10 waterway avenue may have retail facing the waterway, the extended waterway square south and facing waterway avenue......around the perimeter of the parking garage.

that's just it fortune........there were three shorter buildings planned for the "super block" on the south side of waterway square...that opened up to and complimented waterway square on the north and now this monstrosity. it wouldn't bother me so much if it was offset from the waterway, like 24 waterway in front of the fountain. 24 waterway is 14 stories and set back. the hotel will be similar to 24 waterway in height (at least it was, who knows now).

i can't tell from the rendering, but retail on the first floor and around the second fountain would soften it at the pedestrian level. at least that may still happen.

it just rubs me wrong....like "hughes landing" at lake woodlands. they are abandoning even the "woodlands way" of naming things. hughes landing is a pr name for the howard hughes corporation. just stupid.

don't get me wrong...i love a new tall structure just for the childlike satisfaction it brings; but why mess with a good thing? 10 waterway is TOO TALL for that location.

well then you won't like the 45+ story tower they've "proposed" on super block east...

well then you won't like the 45+ story tower they've "proposed" on super block east...

Wow they have proposed a 45 story tower ? Are there any renderings or details about this proposal ?

you're kidding? right?

the amount of floors is a very rough estimation compared to the surrounding buildings... how likely is it? i have no clue... but that's what howard hughes corp has proposed in that location.

http://www.thewoodla...sq_brochure.pdf found superblock east. it appears there are two towers with distinct features outlined. i'm not sure where the estimate for a floor count is coming from.

well obviously not from that :)

Super block east abutting I-45... it looked nearly twice the height of anadarko's new tower. like i said, it could very well be a pie-in-the-sky "proposal" on HHC's part, but that's what they have depicted on the material i've seen. i have zero knowledge of it beyond that.

there is a new rendering floating around for 10 waterway.  apparently, it's been in houston business journal.  i haven't come across a digital copy.  i saw it at the economic outlook conference last month.  has anyone seen this new rendering or have a copy?

I get the hbj and I have not seen it but I must admit I've been lax in my reading of it lately. The other day when you were asking for the rendering in the digital copy it wasn't in the hard, but I'll double check.

• Like 1

I just checked the last four editions and did not see it

HHC was reworking the design of 10 waterway to make it more cost-effective, ie cheaper. don't recall seeing a new rendering but i'm assuming that's what it is.

17758_580273037620_891448076_n.jpg

thanks for sharing lockmat!  it looks a little too much like the bbva building in the galleria.  add to that swtsig's comment, and i'm not too excited.

Actually this one looks more like Energy Center III that broke ground in the Energy Corridor this January rather than the new BBVA building near the Galleria.  Almost an exact copy (with slight modifications) so probably the same architect.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/01/keep-an-eye-on-energy-center-three.html?s=image_gallery

Edited by HOUSTONIAN (N-ATL)

No it was just an advertisement in the hbj. It is 20 stories and it gives other details about the building. Nothing interesting.

I took the attached screen shot after I gave bachanon the other. My bad

post-723-0-49776000-1365253477_thumb.jpg

it looks like the only possible retail space is at the waterway level, or at street level above facing the waterway.  the parking garage doesn't appear to have any retail space on woodloch forest or waterway avenue, like the parking garages do at 24 waterway, 1501 lake robbins, the marriott garage. is it possible that the land is too valuable or the need for office space too urgent to save space for retail?

Whoa, nice!! If those are to scale they are huge and traffic is going to absolutely horrible!

Wow, if that scaling is correct, that tall blue building is pushing 40 stories or more. Was this perhaps an old 'Shell' proposal? On a side note, it appears that there is a new anchor department store south of Dillards. It seems like I remember this being proposed years ago. Is that still in the works?

Edited by wxman

that was the 45+ story tower i referred to back in sept. of last year.

What were the details on that...or did you have any?

didn't have any... there is one possible user i am aware of who is supposedly kicking tires on a very large office in the woodlands and 45 stories would match the sq ft i've heard tossed around but beyond a couple sources echoing what i've heard i have no other info. they've had that large placeholder there since way before i heard this rumor though so i won't jump to connect to the two.

• Like 1

Yeah I prefer Boka Powell's design for the building. Most of Kirksey's work is really boring to me.

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 3

Wow! That would be one of the most architecturally inspiring buildings in all of Houston if built like that. Totes awesome..

def a much more interesting design but in all honesty one that is really too bold for the woodlands imo. i'd love to see a design like that go up in uptown, though.

This was on the latest agenda, looks like it should break ground soon

• Like 1