Historic Houston Amusement Parks & Places

belmontdrew

I heard a similar tale when I did a story on the Balinese Room shortly after it reopened. They attributed it to the original Balinese room:

http://www.thedeliciouslife.com/feature.cf...y=16&Page=9

Yes, I knew Phil. He passed on several years ago.

Speaking of Margaritas, here's a bit of trivia about the origins of the Margarita.

Santos Cruz stands behind the mahogany bar at the

There was another racer from Playland Park that has been left out of this...he also moved over to Meyer Speedway after Playland Park. Held more than several records when Meyer shut down the first time and were not broken when it closed the second time...#55 - "Buddy" Evans (started as #8, then moved to #55). "High Points" Champion several years as well as other winnings. How many of you remember the next place I am about to mention. Spent many a late night after the Playland Park races at the (best I can remember) Tam-O-Shanter Inn on OST??? His son went on to follow in his foot steps racing Late Model Sportsman. Thanks for brining up some old memories. I have a VHS Video floating around that has some races from Playland Park, Meyer Speeway, Battleground...bought it at Big "H" when they had the last of the Outlaw Super Modified Sprints

Roddy

BillyWadeModified53-1.jpg

On just about any night for many many years, if you looked at the front of the pack, this is what you saw running first and second. Billy Wade #53 and Don Burton #5. These two clown were the one to beat night in and night out.

DonWins5-1.jpg

Here is Don Burton beating out Buddy Evans at the line.

MJBurton5-2.jpg

Here is MJ Burton after rolling his car @ Meyers

MEYERSPEEDWAY62PROGRAM6.jpgMEYERSPEEDWAY62COVERFRONT.jpg

Page 6 of the 1962 Season Program

PhilCronin.jpg

West U Native is this your guy?

BillyWadeModified53-1.jpg

On just about any night for many many years, if you looked at the front of the pack, this is what you saw running first and second. Billy Wade #53 and Don Burton #5. These two clown were the one to beat night in and night out.

DonWins5-1.jpg

Here is Don Burton beating out Buddy Evans at the line.

MJBurton5-2.jpg

Here is MJ Burton after rolling his car @ Meyers

MEYERSPEEDWAY62PROGRAM6.jpgMEYERSPEEDWAY62COVERFRONT.jpg

Page 6 of the 1962 Season Program

PhilCronin.jpg

West U Native is this your guy?

Might be, but she would have to allow for 20 years or so in that photo.

:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I know this is a longshot but if anyone could help me identify the location of one of my earliest memories, I would be eternally grateful.

I am thinking of a miniature golf place. It was (I think) on Bissonnet between Beechnut and Fondren. There was (I think) a drivers license place right next to it and both would have been on the left side of the street if you were heading west. The thing that sticks out most in my mind is that it had dinosaurs. They looked huge to - what must have been - five year old.

I know it's not much to work with, and I doubt it was even that significant of a landmark. Still, I would very much appreciate some confirmation of this memory. Thanks, all.

Oh, and I'm not thinking of the mini golf place at the corner of Fondren and Beechnut with the batting cages out front; though that place was cool, too.

Would this have been Goony Golf? Close to a Chinese restaurant, I think, and closed down sometime in the 80s?

You know, that may have been it. The Chinese restaurant sounds vaguely familiar and it would have closed in the 80s. Thanks!

Come to think of it, I also remember one on Westheimer across from what used to be the Briargrove Dollar Theater. It had a most excellent arcade with - I think - a jungle theme. My folks took me there for my birthday one year and my mother lost her wedding ring somewhere on the course. Yeah, I got blamed for that.

As has oft been said around these parts, you guys are phenominal. As soon as I read the name Phil Cronin, I knew it was right. I never expected y'all to dredge up such a good photo. Yes, this picture of 1977 was around 22 years after I knew him and startled me to see how much weight he'd gained. But that was probably just the maturity gained with filled out adult face, etc. However, in observing the individual features, I'm sure that is he. I am so sorry to hear that he is no longer with us. Funny how you remember so well some people who briefly touch your life and move on.

jakdad and Mark Barnes, you know if I were in town, I'd buy you both a tall, cold one! Many, many thanks.

Sandy

• 1 month later...
This is the Wunsche Cemetery, just south of Spring High School on the east side of the freeway. Perhaps you've heard of the Wunsche Cafe in Spring... :)

If I remember correctly, the cemetery was on the west side of old Hwy 75. That part of the old hwy served for a long time as a feeder/frontage road after IH 45 was built on the west side of the cemetery.

Might be, but she would have to allow for 20 years or so in that photo.

:D:D:D

I think Phil Cronin was born about '40, so he would have been about 15-17 years old in '55/'56. Had a fast, new '55 Chevy hot rod? Maybe so Jakdad! Say, wasn't there also a Phillip in amongst some of them Tillotta boys that did a little racing?

• 2 weeks later...
OR HOW ABOUT...

Malibu go-cart raceway and arcade at the Southwest Freeway

B)

I found these pictures of Malibu as it looks today...or not long ago. I still have my license for the go-karts someplace. I also think I still have some tokens for the video games. I used to go all the time for their putt-putt golf, but always perfered Speedy's for go-karts. I don't think that plae is still open, but it rocked. The track was built into an old pool.

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/ab..._in_houston.htm

I found these pictures of Malibu as it looks today...or not long ago. I still have my license for the go-karts someplace. I also think I still have some tokens for the video games. I used to go all the time for their putt-putt golf, but always perfered Speedy's for go-karts. I don't think that plae is still open, but it rocked. The track was built into an old pool.

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/ab..._in_houston.htm

I thought the place where the robery and murders took place was on 290.

I think Phil Cronin was born about '40, so he would have been about 15-17 years old in '55/'56. Had a fast, new '55 Chevy hot rod? Maybe so Jakdad! Say, wasn't there also a Phillip in amongst some of them Tillotta boys that did a little racing?

I think Phil was a pre 40s guy

Phil was born in Late '35 around Halloween or pretty close, because they use to throw a party in the pits at the track around that time, he was Class of '54 at Galena Park HS I am pretty sure, seems like that's what his class ring said anyway. Phillip Tillotta was also from Galena Park I think, and is still alive as far as I know still living in that house out in Sterling Green in Channel View.

Resourceful...........that's a funny way of putting it. Phil Cronin was a sure enough hustler. Don't mean that in a negative way. He put his mind to it and could just about do anything. He was a real charactor, and could always make you laugh, no matter what the circumstances were. He believed in fast cars and fast living. Had his fair share of pit puppies I can tell you that for damn sure. He laid more pipe than Brown and Root. If it's the car I am thinking of it was a blue and white two tone '55 Chevy. I'd have to dig around but I may have a picture of that car after he sold it to David Rosas.

55AJmidgcrsh.jpg

freddie_Barnes_notguilty.jpg

Hey, Mark The Johnson's from louisiana here. We raced over at Meyer speedway a few times before it closed. I know fellow by the name of David Garner. His dad built a BRAND NEW Super Modified to race there the year Meyer was shut down. He still has the car ready to go in his garage (never raced and I seen the pictures #76)somewhere in Houston along with the car he retired, and ready to restore it.(It was also a Super Modified). My dad and My grandfather used to go wath A.J. over at Play land park. We still race ASCS Sprint cars over in Baytown a few times a year. You may want to check us out in 2008.,Todd Edited by jtodd49

The crash you are refering to happened in '59. One of the 3 people killed was one of the owners of Playland and unfortunately, he was the one owner who was passoinate about the park. This basicaly signaled the beginning of the end of the park since his siblings allowed it to fall into neglect and disrepair.I found this out when I went to the library down town to research Playland. I found several news articles but zero photographs. Where can one find more pictures of Playland?
The crash you are refering to happened in '59. One of the 3 people killed was one of the owners of Playland and unfortunately, he was the one owner who was passoinate about the park. This basicaly signaled the beginning of the end of the park since his siblings allowed it to fall into neglect and disrepair.I found this out when I went to the library down town to research Playland. I found several news articles but zero photographs. Where can one find more pictures of Playland?

I am a new member and this is my first posting. My posted name is "Sparky" which is a nickname given to me by Buddy Rackly at the old Playland Park race track. My Family lived at Playland. My dad fed you and my mom put you in jail and took your "get em while you wait" pictures. I have a couple of pictures I will get my son to post. It is great to find a site that I can share some memories with. We moved to Houston right after the coaster was built and lived in a trailor where the racetrack would be built. The Park was our personal front yard and the racetrack our sideyard. If anybody remembers the Fun-in-the-dark ride then you know right where I lived. I could walk out our side door and right into the back door of that building. Buddy nicknamed me Sparky because I wore a spark plug he had given me. I made it into a necklace and never took it off except to take a bath. I do remember the accident you are talking about. My Mom was working in the booth right inside the front gate to the raceway and had just finished talking to Sam Sulsky when he walked away and was hit by the tire coming over the wall. The gentleman who said buying a coke saved his life bought that coke from my mom. She never got over it and never went back to the racetrack again. I will be posting more memories as time goes by. I am now a seventy-two year old Great-Grandmother and loving this time of my life. And now to answer a question about Crystal Pool and Gateway Roller Rink. They were my home away from home and were run by Les Oldfield, my dad away from home. To answer the question about the bubble in the bottom of the pool read on. If you don't want to know the answer quit reading now. When the pool was built pipes were laid into the bottom of the pool that were just below the bubble. Air was pumped into the bubble and out. The bubble was the bomber bubble from a B-17 from WWII that Les turned upside down and chained over the air pipes. It was great to see the divers hit the water and surface. Just a little side fact, Les Oldfield was the son of Barny Oldfield, the great racer. Les has a son named after his grandfather, Barny, who is an airline pilot. Hope this answers some questions and causes more. Thank you for this site. Sparky

I am a new member and this is my first posting. My posted name is "Sparky" which is a nickname given to me by Buddy Rackly at the old Playland Park race track. My Family lived at Playland. ....... Hope this answers some questions and causes more. Thank you for this site. Sparky

Wow, Sparky, fascinating post! Can't wait to read more and see some of those pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post. :)

Thanks Sparky for a great story. Got any pics you can post?

Jim

[/quote

I do have pictures I can post but I will have to have my son show me how to do that. I just discovered that my sister had posted #119 on 5-10-2006, as member No. 2116. What a pleasant discovery. She passed away on July 3, 2006, one day shy of her 73rd. birthday on July 4th.. When we were little she always thought the July 4th. celebrations were for her birthday. I really don't know what kind of posts to do so I will just ramble on about living in the park. Some one said they remembered the neon towers at the park entrance. They did look like giant toothbrushes from a distance. They were hollow inside and filled with spiders, webs, and a lot of wiring. Before the school bus was allowed to pick us up inside the park grounds, we would have to catch the bus in front of the park. We would take cover in the towers if it was raining. When my dad found out we were doing this, he got the buses to come into the park and pick us up by our frozen custard stand. The first job I can remember having was blowing us ballons for the dart joint. I blew them up by mouth, tied them and them put them in a big ballon box. If you ever try this game at a carnival throw the dart up so it will come down to hit the ballon. It works better than a hard straight throw. I worked in the front food stand until I was old enough to run the snow cone, cotton candy, and popcorn stand by myself. I still roll cotton candy cones if I am holding a dollor bill. To change the subject, my sister had mentioned Playmore that was in downtown Houston. It had bumper cars, a penny arcade, my dads food stand, some joints, and of course the man who was buried alive. That was my "Uncle Homer". He was not really a blood uncle, but was one of the people that came in off the road when my family did. Coming in off the road meant that you had left the sawdust trail and settled down. The saw dust trail meant that you traveled with a carnival or a circus which we had done. If anyone is interested I can post some stuff about that. Uncle Homer not only was buried alive, he also managed to make the board cut-outs that my mom used in the mug joint. The favorite cut-out of course was the jail. When I married and moved away from the Park, I still could hear the sounds at night when I went to bed. My father had the concessions at Arrowhead which was on Old Spanish Trail. The monorail was also on OST.. As a matter of fact the year my father passed away he had the concessions at almost all of the public places in Houston. The Colliseum, The Music Hall, The Auditorium, The Zoo, Herman Park, Playland Park, and was bidding on the Astrodome when it was built. Like I said I am just typing what comes to mind. Let me know if you like it. Thanks again for the site. Sparky

I had forgotten about the Pla-Mor arcade downtown until you mentioned it. It was on Dallas, between Main and Fannin, across from where Sakowitz would eventually be built. I went there many times as a youngster in the mid-40's. As I remember, it was open-air, on the ground floor of some type of structure that may have been a parking garage.

Where did you go to school while living at Playland? You and I are the same age. I am the "gentleman" you mentioned in your first post who was buying a Coke when that horrible accident occurred at Playland in 1959.

Hi Alpha. They were probably made at Playmore in one of my dads mug-joints. He also had one at Stuarts Drive Inn where OST and Main street meet. Stuarts was inside of the V and Princes Drive Inn was on the point of the V.

Hi 57Tbird. So glad to be able to talk with you and know that you are still alive. I went to South Main elementary until the school bus changed routes and then I went to McGregor. I attended Johnston Jr. High School and then San Jacinto High School. I was in the class of l953. Where did you attend school?

Hi 57Tbird. So glad to be able to talk with you and know that you are still alive. I went to South Main elementary until the school bus changed routes and then I went to McGregor. I attended Johnston Jr. High School and then San Jacinto High School. I was in the class of l953. Where did you attend school?

I went to Sutton, Fannin, Poe El, Lanier, Lamar '53. My wife went to MacGregor, Johnston, and San Jac '55.

09-06-2005091734AM.jpg

Here's one for you Sparky, I believe that to be Buddy Rackley in front, correct me if I am wrong.

Hi Mark. I sent you an e-mail and I don't know if you got it or not. I then found out I could join and post. I believe that is Buddy, but I am looking a man that I knew as a much younger person. The photos are great. They brought back lots of memories. My brother and I used to go swimming in the pit pool where they rolled in cars to put them out. That was another thing my dad put a stop to. I was looking to see if Cotton Grable, the flag man was in the pictures, but I didn't see him. For a short rotound man, Cotton could really move fast once he flagged the race to start. Finding this site has been like a Christmas present to me. I am pulling out pictures for my son to post for me. Will post more later. Sparky

T-Bird is this the wreck in question? I think this is the one that there were a couple of spectator fatalities.

Nope! It was the one where Blackie Lothringer went over the wall between turn 1 and turn 2. He landed in the area between the concession stand and south stands near the west entrance gate. Here is a Chronicle report on the accident. Front page and other page.

Sparky, Was your mom one of the ladies named, at the concession stand, in the Chronicle article?