Cypress Creek Parkway

Porchman

Apparently, FM 1960 is getting a new name. Bucolic strip malls! Fairies tripping up and down the new medians! It will be fabulous!

From ABC 13 - KTRK

One of Houston's longest roads is getting a new name. And it's taking neighbors by surprise. They say they had no idea their community leaders were pushing to change FM 1960.

A road by any other name is apparently not the same to business owners along FM 1960. The newly designated name, "Cypress Creek Parkway," isn't getting rave reviews from everyone because most people don't know about it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was plenty of information concerning the proposed name change. I saw the articles in the local paper months ago.

Now if they can get rid of all the garish signs and gaudy shopping centers the road might be a more pleasant drive. The landscaped medians will help divert one's eye from the trashy signs.

The one nice spot on 1960 is at the entrance to Northgate. The developer left his land abutting 1960 almost natural. Thank goodness for him.

Boycott any business that has tacky signs or paint.

The new median configuration has improved traffic flow.

"When you're all out of good ideas and you've moved on to the dumb ones--it's time: American Standard air conditioning." (That was the ad that played for me to watch the ABC 13 news clip.) I think we need to call them.

Seriously, though, 1960 has become a kind of boundary between affluent households to the north in "Cypress" and the encroachment of brown people from the unnamed abyss that is Houston's not-particularly-affluent ETJ. To drive along it is an increasingly unpleasant experience, and I don't think that it's a good idea to brand 1960 in any way shape or form that diminishes or dilutes the "Cypress" brand.

Also, Belinda Menasco, chairwoman of the Northwest Houston Chamber of Commerce, looks and sounds like she's abusing prescription meds.

Seriously, though, 1960 has become a kind of boundary between affluent households to the north in "Cypress" and the encroachment of brown people from the unnamed abyss that is Houston's not-particularly-affluent ETJ. To drive along it is an increasingly unpleasant experience, and I don't think that it's a good idea to brand 1960 in any way shape or form that diminishes or dilutes the "Cypress" brand.

Now that I've got some skin in this game and live off this road, I've noticed the problem isn't simply boundaries and economics. The poor live alongside the affluent everywhere more successfully than what you're crediting to 1960. The problem here is all the derelict structures alongside the road. 1960 is a stripmall ghost town. I think a simple solution would be to eliminate a number of the empty buildings at owner's expense. I'd like the county to require a minimum of 25% occupied capacity based on square footage on a five year rolling cycle. If a property can't maintain that capacity, then the owner should be required by law to bulldoze the structure and plant some pines in its place. Leaving the number at 25% is fair to the owners, but forcing the bulldozing would make land owners and developers more cautious and certain of success (as much as is possible) prior to construction. Plus, this law would virtually require the proper cycling of old, worn-out structures with newer and better construction.

Then again, who cares?

Now that I've got some skin in this game and live off this road, I've noticed the problem isn't simply boundaries and economics. The poor live alongside the affluent everywhere more successfully than what you're crediting to 1960. The problem here is all the derelict structures alongside the road. 1960 is a stripmall ghost town. I think a simple solution would be to eliminate a number of the empty buildings at owner's expense. I'd like the county to require a minimum of 25% occupied capacity based on square footage on a five year rolling cycle. If a property can't maintain that capacity, then the owner should be required by law to bulldoze the structure and plant some pines in its place. Leaving the number at 25% is fair to the owners, but forcing the bulldozing would make land owners and developers more cautious and certain of success (as much as is possible) prior to construction. Plus, this law would virtually require the proper cycling of old, worn-out structures with newer and better construction.

Then again, who cares?

Are you serious? In a metropolitan community that views zoning somewhere between illegal immigration and late-term abortion on the popularity meter?! While I agree that these empty boxes contribute to the degradation and social erosion of a community, what you propose is a far too onerous and draconian solution. How would this be enforced? How do you "force" private companies to maintain a minimum occupancy rate? By that token, how do you force small businesses - the magic cure to our country's economic woes, if you listen to any politicians over the last decade or so - to stay healthy and not fail, thereby triggering a vacancy? Would the county raze the structures of derelict owners, and if so, where's the money going to come from for that little chore? It's a nice fantasy but not practical at all.

It's a nice fantasy but not practical at all.

Yeah, besides which, that opens the door to a lot of unintended consequences. If I were in the position of one of those property owners, I'd just open up a large enough nightclub to meet the vacancy minimums. Nightclubs are wonderful for that; they require relatively little capital investment, mostly just a wide open space. And I wouldn't bother trying to make it seem nice, either.

Either that, or I'd just lower the rents until the spaces got filled. And you don't want anybody in your neighborhood that rents retail space for $0.30 per square foot per month.

It's a nice fantasy but not practical at all.

I realize this. Enforcing corporate responsibility is never popular and rarely welcome. I don't see my solution as practical from a legal nor an economic perspective, but I also don't see any other way to quickly change the face of 1960 otherwise. Mine is a pie-in-the-sky dream; I'm under no illusions of its practicality. That said, it's a better solution than changing the name of the strip to something bucolic like Cypress Creek Parkway. That's not even a band-aid solution. That's a non-solution which may be as equally costly to business owners as my own solution.

The only people who stand to benefit from the name change are likely sign shops and print shops. It still leaves the residents, the property owners and the business owners in a bad place. Annnnd, surely to the ire of conservatives everywhere, our tax dollars will be frivilously spent changing all the street signage - whereas my solution leaves the owners of derelict property on the hook for costs. If they can't abide by the requisite changes, Harris County has weekly land auctions.

As for mine being an onerous and draconian solution, I'd grant business owners a five year rolling average to achieve 25% occupancy. They can accomplish this in various ways, all of which would benefit the entire community. Either they could lower rents (encouraging more businesses to fill empty spots), improve the property (making the spots more aesthetically pleasing and functional) or increase connectivity between strip centers (easing traffic on the "Parkway" and making the property more attractive to prospective lessees). It forces developers and property owners to give a crap about what they've built after it was built. The only downside I see (aside from the onerous and draconian nature of it) is that it will most likely also limit speculative new construction going into the future - which, considering many people seem to hate strip malls and everything they stand for, may not be such a bad thing.

It's may not be entirely practical from a limited perspective, but it is a pragmatic solution to the core problem.

Yeah, besides which, that opens the door to a lot of unintended consequences. If I were in the position of one of those property owners, I'd just open up a large enough nightclub to meet the vacancy minimums. Nightclubs are wonderful for that; they require relatively little capital investment, mostly just a wide open space. And I wouldn't bother trying to make it seem nice, either.

Yeah, but once a place like that fails, then either the property owner would have to refill the space, or allow it to sit idle. 0% occupancy is still lower than 25%. If it sits idle too long, it'll go the way of the dodo. Either way, re-leasing it or leaving it idle to then be demolished, would be better for the area than the current program of nothing.

Either that, or I'd just lower the rents until the spaces got filled. And you don't want anybody in your neighborhood that rents retail space for $0.30 per square foot per month.

I feel the markets would ultimately sort this out. Only so many businesses can be sustained in any community, regardless of the cost of rent. And, it's not as if 1960 isn't already teeming with unsavory businesses. We do, afterall, already have a Walmart.

I'm within a 5 minutes to 2 Wal Marts. Rev. Billy says we should just stop shopping. That what I'm doing. Trashy shopping centers will not get any of my money.:) Something else is in play here. Many of those places have been here since Nixon resigned. Empty and trashy looking. Their owners are in another country. The folks who want 1960 renamed are trying to create some kind of community, and I say God Bless Them. Ask anybody you meet out here if they intend to stay here and the reply is no. They are here to work and when they retire, they will go elsewhere. The turnover in subdivisions used to be between 5 and 10% a year. Now with everyone cutting back, not so much. It is hard to have community and stability when everyone is gonna be gone in a few years. There is no sense of ownership. We all want stable, crime free places to lived, but not badly enough to make that happen. The 16 community leaders who signed the letter get it. Some of the people interviewed on TV don't, and, they work in ugly strip shopping centers.

I'm within a 5 minutes to 2 Wal Marts. Rev. Billy says we should just stop shopping. That what I'm doing. Trashy shopping centers will not get any of my money.:)

Rev. Billy? I heard he told some people to jump off a cliff. I wonder if they did.

The Walmart comment was a joke. I wasn't trying to start another anti-Walmart tirade parade on this thread.

Something else is in play here. Many of those places have been here since Nixon resigned. Empty and trashy looking. Their owners are in another country. The folks who want 1960 renamed are trying to create some kind of community, and I say God Bless Them. Ask anybody you meet out here if they intend to stay here and the reply is no. They are here to work and when they retire, they will go elsewhere. The turnover in subdivisions used to be between 5 and 10% a year. Now with everyone cutting back, not so much. It is hard to have community and stability when everyone is gonna be gone in a few years. There is no sense of ownership. We all want stable, crime free places to lived, but not badly enough to make that happen. The 16 community leaders who signed the letter get it. Some of the people interviewed on TV don't, and, they work in ugly strip shopping centers.

I think that's the crux of the issue. Either that, or we don't know how to actuate positive change, and in our impotence, we wash our hands of the whole thing.

Or we change the street name hoping public perception is swayed not by actual visual stimuli but by mere suggestion alone. We can call the road 1960, Cypress Creek Parkway or Rev Billy Superhighway, and it doesn't make a difference to the ugly physical reality that is the strip mall graveyard we currently call FM 1960. Unless this situation is rectified, no amount of cutsie, wistfully suburban rebrands will do a damned thing.

I agree with the principle of your idea, Attica. Didn't mean to sound so disparaging of your message. I have also had the same feeling that there should be a way to shepherd responsible development in these areas, but it's such a frustrating endeavour.

As far as the Cypress Creek Parkway designation, my understanding is that this will be something of a vanity name change; no maps, street names, postal routes or other such designators will be altered or revised. People/businesses are free to use the name at their discretion, which of course means NOBODY will use it. What's the benefit of creating even more confusion for people trying to find your business? And I agree that the term "parkway" is about the most ridiculous term they could come up with.

Yeah, but once a place like that fails, then either the property owner would have to refill the space, or allow it to sit idle. 0% occupancy is still lower than 25%. If it sits idle too long, it'll go the way of the dodo. Either way, re-leasing it or leaving it idle to then be demolished, would be better for the area than the current program of nothing.

I feel the markets would ultimately sort this out. Only so many businesses can be sustained in any community, regardless of the cost of rent. And, it's not as if 1960 isn't already teeming with unsavory businesses. We do, afterall, already have a Walmart.

Clubs mostly just fail to the extent that they're in areas with rising rents (because that's the vast majority of their overhead) or because there's illicit enterprising going on in them to the extent that the TABC could yank their license. And even if the club were marginal, a property owner is going to prefer that to having his buildings condemned and demolished at his expense.

As far as the Cypress Creek Parkway designation, my understanding is that this will be something of a vanity name change; no maps, street names, postal routes or other such designators will be altered or revised. People/businesses are free to use the name at their discretion...

This begs the question of why even bother? The entire enterprise is beyond pointless.

Clubs mostly just fail to the extent that they're in areas with rising rents (because that's the vast majority of their overhead) or because there's illicit enterprising going on in them to the extent that the TABC could yank their license. And even if the club were marginal, a property owner is going to prefer that to having his buildings condemned and demolished at his expense.

1960 has had clubs in the past, and except for a one or two, they're all gone now. Regardless of the property owners' desires, these clubs will still need to turn a profit in order to keep their doors open. If the 1960 market is already maxed out with clubs, new ones won't stay open long. I did recommend the 25% be based on a rolling average, so while I suppose there's a way to game the system, it'll be expensive for the club/property owner to manage it. On the bright side, with the opening of so many new clubs, it would be possible for Houston's music scene to expand dramatically. Also, with so much competition, drink prices will hit rock bottom. Cheap drinks, live music and an otherwise nicer looking street scene makes my idea a win/win/win situation.

That is all it ever was. Nobody needs to print new stationary. I'll bet the rent money that the sign changes were also timed to necessity. They are now putting block numbers on street signs. This is much ado about nothing. We are like every body else. 1/3 one way, 1/3 opposite, 1/3 don't give a damn. Neither the commissioner nor the Chamber called the TV. Some people just like to bi--- and blame. I can relate to that. It is my hobby. Check out what Renaissance 1960 is up to. Add in Green Medians and other stuff. This is not Times Square or New Coke rebranding. This is some fed up folks who care about their neighborhood and want to stop the not so gentile decline. Howard Beale is alive and well. I, too was kidding about WalMart.

Well sure...I just hope you speak Spanish and like polka-based music.

Oomph-ah, oomph-ah, oomph-ah.. Ah-hoy-hoy-hoy!!!

I do when I'm in a tejano bar. Actually, I'd love to see more classic-styled R&B/blues joints and jazz joints (playing real jazz) pop up. And as much as I love to hate Austin, I wouldn't mind getting more of the whole Central Texas sound through town on a more regular basis. Unfortunately, the new bars would probably be stocked with the hackneyed Creed-emulating posers instead.

But still, cheap drinks.

I do when I'm in a tejano bar. Actually, I'd love to see more classic-styled R&B/blues joints and jazz joints (playing real jazz) pop up. And as much as I love to hate Austin, I wouldn't mind getting more of the whole Central Texas sound through town on a more regular basis. Unfortunately, the new bars would probably be stocked with the hackneyed Creed-emulating posers instead.

But still, cheap drinks.

Bud Light at a Tejano or "Urban" club on 1960

(341 ml longneck * 4.2% abv = 14.3 ml of alcohol)

($2.00 / 14.3 ml = $0.14 per ml of alcohol)

~~compares with~~

MacAllan 12-year at home

(1,750 ml * 40.0% abv = 700 ml of alcohol)

($93.67 / 700 ml = $0.13 per ml of alcohol)

~~plus~~

Bud Light at a Tejano or "Urban" club on 1960

(341 ml longneck * 4.2% abv = 14.3 ml of alcohol)

($2.00 / 14.3 ml = $0.14 per ml of alcohol)

~~compares with~~

MacAllan 12-year at home

(1,750 ml * 40.0% abv = 700 ml of alcohol)

($93.67 / 700 ml = $0.13 per ml of alcohol)

~~plus~~

I thought I was supposed to fear apartment complexes. Suburban life is so confusing.

To drive along it is an increasingly unpleasant experience, and I don't think that it's a good idea to brand 1960 in any way shape or form that diminishes or dilutes the "Cypress" brand.

This is a huge issue, IMO. Whoever allowed this to happen essentially sold out the entire Cypress area. And for what? Certainly nothing viable.

Yay! I can't wait for the name change!!! Westheimer used to be FM some kind of number too. About time!!! Anyway, I'm glad they are trying to change things around here. It has to start somewhere... Usually great things are rejected in the beginning... Yay NORTHWEST HOUSTON!!!

It's funny... I think every part in houston is a boundary yet 1960 seems to be the one people point out most.

Pearland = Just nasty when driving out on 288. What is Friendswood???

Woodlands = rayford sawdust not too nice... look north to the great Huntsville! Wow!!!

Baybrook & Clear Lake = borders pasadena and almeda area, gulfgate, texas city, etc...just too many

Katy = go Katy Mills! look to I-10 South

Sugarland = have you seen 59 South just before stafford! and the nice drive going towards victoria

River Oaks = have you seen west gray near midtown

West U = have you seen south main/ back of TMC

Bellaire = look at meyerland

Montrose = Not too many nice structures here... look to westheimer

Heights = don't even start... OMG was there again the other weekend and my i just don't get the hype on 19th street.

Tanglewood = doesn't this somehow comes close to Westchase. Nice!!!

Royal oaks = Wilcrest and kirkwood baby!

Memorial = I-10 south... look out Spring Branch not to mention the edwards theatre and antoine

Midtown = go past fannin to east midtown and i just don't know

Eado = when and who???

Kingwood = HUMBLE!!!

TMC = South Macgregor isn't that nice...

All of these areas are NICE and UGLY... Best believe it. I like that you all take interest in the area though. Thanks for your replies (keep racking them up!). Hopefully it will get more attention to get more projects in the area!!!

By the way, Willowbrook mall needs better TENANTS... If you are reading this we welcome you! Great POPULATION out this way!

It's funny... I think every part in houston is a boundary yet 1960 seems to be the one people point out most.

Pearland = Just nasty when driving out on 288. What is Friendswood???

Woodlands = rayford sawdust not too nice... look north to the great Huntsville! Wow!!!

Baybrook & Clear Lake = borders pasadena and almeda area, gulfgate, texas city, etc...just too many

Katy = go Katy Mills! look to I-10 South

Sugarland = have you seen 59 South just before stafford! and the nice drive going towards victoria

River Oaks = have you seen west gray near midtown

West U = have you seen south main/ back of TMC

Bellaire = look at meyerland

Montrose = Not too many nice structures here... look to westheimer

Heights = don't even start... OMG was there again the other weekend and my i just don't get the hype on 19th street.

Tanglewood = doesn't this somehow comes close to Westchase. Nice!!!

Royal oaks = Wilcrest and kirkwood baby!

Memorial = I-10 south... look out Spring Branch not to mention the edwards theatre and antoine

Midtown = go past fannin to east midtown and i just don't know

Eado = when and who???

Kingwood = HUMBLE!!!

TMC = South Macgregor isn't that nice...

All of these areas are NICE and UGLY... Best believe it. I like that you all take interest in the area though. Thanks for your replies (keep racking them up!). Hopefully it will get more attention to get more projects in the area!!!

By the way, Willowbrook mall needs better TENANTS... If you are reading this we welcome you! Great POPULATION out this way!

I've been in each of these locales.

The difference between the area north of 1960 and the area south of 1960 is that the poor are visibly and interactively encroaching upon the rich. It's the same process that has happened with Greenspoint and Spring, Acres Homes and Inwood, or Fondren South and Missouri City...only the geographic divides are smaller, more highly-defined, and the different populations cannot seem to splinter away from one another quite so easily.

Your comparison cases are weak analogies. For instance, the opposite case is true with Bellaire and Meyerland, Montrose, or the Heights, where rich are encroaching on the lower-middle-class. The TMC has no houses, whereas Braeswood South is actually quite nice. Kingwood and Humble are divided by the San Jacinto River, Pasadena and Clear Lake are divided by spent oilfields and a military installation, and Pearland and Sunnyside are separated by several miles and a freeway...none of these being as demographically permeable as a mere retail strip.

Niche and all y'all slamming the 1960 burbs. I have respected your comments on HAIF for years. Your comments are usually reasoned and well thought out. The 1960 area is no longer a 60's white flight suburb of Houston. In the 1st. place, had all of us decided to go ITL, where would you put us? We are here for as many reason as there are people. We are all colors, all religions, all incomes, gay, lesbian and straight. We have oil company executive living 2 doors down from mail carriers. That is just my tiny little subdivision. Those rich racists must have all moved north years ago. From Cypress Creek southward we are as varied as the COH. It was easy to put folks in a box back in the 70's. It is not anymore. Nobody cares about who anyone is as long as they are not hurting anybody. All we want is for absentee landlords to stop trashing the place. We have tried for years to get a state designation for a commercial tax to clean the mess up, but Debbie Riddle says there is not enough community support. It has been a long struggle. The determination exhibited by the Green Medians group raising nearly $500000 in a few months demonstrates the care some of us have for our community. Years ago, the Galleria merchants created a taxing authority to keep their area looking good. That has been replicated all over the state. That is what this dust up is about. The same people who lobby Debbie Riddle are now trying to get support for their side. We will never be the Village or River Oaks, and are not seeking that. We have no objection to a reasonable amount of low income housing. We have no objection to strip shopping centers. We do object to greedy apartment owners who rent to criminals. We do object to absentee landlords renting to spa whore houses. We have no zoning. We have no help from the COH even though they have annexed all of the commercial area from here to Dallas. We just want a semi peaceful place to live and let live.

Niche and all y'all slamming the 1960 burbs. I have respected your comments on HAIF for years. Your comments are usually reasoned and well thought out. The 1960 area is no longer a 60's white flight suburb of Houston. In the 1st. place, had all of us decided to go ITL, where would you put us?

Straw man. That's not what I'm arguing at all.

We are here for as many reason as there are people. We are all colors, all religions, all incomes, gay, lesbian and straight. We have oil company executive living 2 doors down from mail carriers. That is just my tiny little subdivision. Those rich racists must have all moved north years ago. From Cypress Creek southward we are as varied as the COH. It was easy to put folks in a box back in the 70's. It is not anymore. Nobody cares about who anyone is as long as they are not hurting anybody. All we want is for absentee landlords to stop trashing the place. We have tried for years to get a state designation for a commercial tax to clean the mess up, but Debbie Riddle says there is not enough community support. It has been a long struggle. The determination exhibited by the Green Medians group raising nearly $500000 in a few months demonstrates the care some of us have for our community. Years ago, the Galleria merchants created a taxing authority to keep their area looking good. That has been replicated all over the state. That is what this dust up is about. The same people who lobby Debbie Riddle are now trying to get support for their side. We will never be the Village or River Oaks, and are not seeking that.

I'm thinking that you took my light-hearted exchange with Attica earlier in the thread a little too serious. It's not about race anymore, but ethnicity and socioeconomic class are still a huge deal, and that's reflected in shifting demographics, increasing pressures on school districts, and uncertain property values.

Years ago, the Galleria merchants created a taxing authority to keep their area looking good. That has been replicated all over the state. That is what this dust up is about.

I like using neighborhood-level tax districts to provide services or infrastructure over and above what the state, county, or municipality are able to provide. ...but we aren't discussing that. Nope, this particular dust-up is about the name change from FM 1960 to Cypress Creek Parkway.

We have no objection to a reasonable amount of low income housing. We have no objection to strip shopping centers. We do object to greedy apartment owners who rent to criminals. We do object to absentee landlords renting to spa whore houses. We have no zoning. We have no help from the COH even though they have annexed all of the commercial area from here to Dallas. We just want a semi peaceful place to live and let live.

I'm not sure that you speak for your neighbors on the affordable housing thing. Every time that there's a new Tax Credit project proposed out in that direction, we re-hash affordable housing on HAIF. It doesn't seem to happen quite so much when it's in Houston or Katy or Baytown or League City. Nope, mostly just 'The Great Northwest'.

And we do have the occasional person come on here to complain about a few acres of trees that are getting plowed under for a strip center. Again, that's unique to 'The Great Northwest'. That kind of outrage doesn't occur in The Woodlands or Conroe or Kingwood or Spring.

But yeah, how does all this have anything to do with the name change?

I'm not sure that you speak for your neighbors on the affordable housing thing. Every time that there's a new Tax Credit project proposed out in that direction, we re-hash affordable housing on HAIF. It doesn't seem to happen quite so much when it's in Houston or Katy or Baytown or League City. Nope, mostly just 'The Great Northwest'.

To be fair, while the affordability of the housing isn't mentioned, if any of that housing is an apartment complex then you can expect some knickers to get twisted... except for maybe in Baytown.

And we do have the occasional person come on here to complain about a few acres of trees that are getting plowed under for a strip center. Again, that's unique to 'The Great Northwest'. That kind of outrage doesn't occur in The Woodlands or Conroe or Kingwood or Spring.

I consider my little portion of 1960 to be in Spring, not the Great Northwest. 1960 is a really, really long road. Also, people from Conroe don't complain because computer technology hasn't yet reached that part of the world. And people from Kingwood and the Woodlands don't complain about a loss of trees because their development requirements ensure a thin veneer of rurality to hide each new construction. Even though most of the forests have been torn down, from the leather-clad, climate-controlled confines of an H2 it still likes like a forest.

But yeah, how does all this have anything to do with the name change?

So few HAIF subjects are about 1960, so we 'burb folks have got to take the opportunity to share our opinion about all remotely relevant topics at one time. In that same vein, when I lived in Memphis, despite the ubiquity of the place, I only ever ate at a Krystal Burger once or twice as I found their entire premise to be stupid. Now that I'm on 1960, and the only Krystal Burger in Houston is rather close to my house, despite my previous conceits I find myself eating at Krystal all the time. Did I mention that the Krystal is on 1960? If not, Krystal is on 1960... so it's sorta kinda relevant to the discussion at hand.

Archived