Cypress Creek Parkway

Porchman

Personally I think that from I 45 to at least Veterans/Stuebner, 1960 Sucks now. I moved into the apartments behind Denny's in 1990 when I moved here from Louisiana. I was no stranger to Houston since I spent summers here growing up. the 1960 area at least from 45 west had a classy feel to it. Had a good variety of stores, etc. and most of all the neighborhoods were just black and white for the most part. Fast Forward 20 years and that whole area SUCKS! the apartments at I 45 behind that chevy dealership now, Cypress Station, all the way to at least North Oaks Shopping center, the area is crawling with ILLEGALS, DRUG HEADS and all kinds of other assorted trash.

[section removed by Editor]

I left 1960 area in 97, moved back in 99 and left again for good in 2008, living more centrally located now. I think the only reason they changed the name is to try not to see it end up the way Sharpstown, Greenspoint or Northline did, but its too late, it happened and all those wealthy folks in North Oaks and Champions did not do anything to keep the unwanteds out and now that's why the Spring, and Kline School districts suck, glad I dont have kids because they would never go to school there.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Margo, if you had children I recommend that you raised them in the prestigious neighborhood, The Woodlands. FM 1960 has no value... couldn't agree more. In time the mansions in Champion Forest and Northgate will be invaded and value will be WAY below market value. I keep hearing that it resembles Greenspoint from common everyday people. Everyone is rushing to The Woodlands. You should hurry before they run out of inventory. The Woodlands is quite the investment I hear. This information is only leaked to people who specialize in real estate. Just a pointer... Good luck!

• 11 months later...

Now that I've got some skin in this game and live off this road, I've noticed the problem isn't simply boundaries and economics. The poor live alongside the affluent everywhere more successfully than what you're crediting to 1960. The problem here is all the derelict structures alongside the road. 1960 is a stripmall ghost town. I think a simple solution would be to eliminate a number of the empty buildings at owner's expense. I'd like the county to require a minimum of 25% occupied capacity based on square footage on a five year rolling cycle. If a property can't maintain that capacity, then the owner should be required by law to bulldoze the structure and plant some pines in its place. Leaving the number at 25% is fair to the owners, but forcing the bulldozing would make land owners and developers more cautious and certain of success (as much as is possible) prior to construction. Plus, this law would virtually require the proper cycling of old, worn-out structures with newer and better construction.

Then again, who cares?

I know this is a really old thread, but I've gotta say, God, I love that idea. It needs to be done along Dairy Ashford between Westheimer and Briar Forest. There is an old strip center along there that most of the tenants have left, and about a third of it burned down, and has not been rebuilt, just left as an eyesore. The whole strip center needs to be bulldozed.

Yay! I can't wait for the name change!!! Westheimer used to be FM some kind of number too. About time!!! Anyway, I'm glad they are trying to change things around here. It has to start somewhere... Usually great things are rejected in the beginning... Yay NORTHWEST HOUSTON!!!

Actually I believe Westheimer Rd was Westheimer Rd before FM1093 was designated. The name was just logically extended westward

Archived