Oasis Burns Down!

Heights2Bastrop

Austin landmark, The Oasis Restaurant, burned down Wednesday morning. Although the Oasis offered one of the most spectacular views in all the Hill Country, the food there was some of the worst I have ever had. It makes me question the cause of this fire.

The owners have vowed to rebuild. I loved going there, so I hope they rebuild their food quality as well.

One of the things that gave me the biggest kick was to watch a boat racing across Lake Travis toward the shore to the right, turn and slowly motor past Hippie Hollow, then crank it to full throttle and speed back across the lake from where they came.

Real subtle, huh?

Although the Oasis offered one of the most spectacular views in all the Hill Country, the food there was some of the worst I have ever had.

I lived near the Oasis for 5 years (1997-2003) and ate there often for lunch and dinner. I never had a complaint about the food. For me, it was always average to better than average. Their fajitas were always very good.

You're not the only one to complain about the food quality, but after eating there regularly for 5 years I concluded that it was/is a bum rap. People go there with certain expectations because of what they hear, and make their judgement fit their expectation. For example, if they find one flaw, they feel justified in perpetuating the perception.

Just my opinion. I'm glad to hear that it will be rebuilt. It was definitely a unique place to eat in Texas. It was also fun hanging out on the deck and enjoying the bands.

• 1 year later...
good news for u oasis folks. it's getting remodled. they weren't going to let that view go to waste ;) although the food there needs a some remodling too :unsure:

I guess the insurance fraud investigation was dropped and they got a check cut ? ;)

good news for u oasis folks. it's getting remodled. they weren't going to let that view go to waste ;) although the food there needs a some remodling too :unsure:

That place must be jinxed. I remember it had a serious fire about 8 years ago then 2005? You mean its barely getting remodeled? what in da ....

Hope they hurry and finish so everyone can see the nude furniture below in Hippie Hollow! Yahooo!

Fat bottomed girls You make the rocket world go round!

:lol::lol::lol:

PS, That's just an old 70's song by Queen.

You really do have a clear shot of the people swimming around in the buff below, though. No joke. That is one beautiful lake too! I think that's Mansfield Dam in the distance?

PS, That's just an old 70's song by Queen.

i dont think i've ever heard any music from queen, but when u said that phrase another song came to mind, which made me laugh.

i like big butts and i can not lie u other brothers can't deny, when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist in a round thing in ur face....i wont continue :lol:

Rocket? Try "Rockin' world go 'round"

Thats what I thought? I couldnt remember exact lyrics, its been so long. When I searched Google it said Rocket? I knew I was seeing things but thnaks for the adjustment. Now I can sing it right.

Rockin makes more sense.

Wish I were there this very second. Maybe if I blink it will work.

They finally wised up to rebuild with better fire-proof materials?

If only Houston had a little bit of these type of views -_- I know...Houston be yourself. Shucks

ha, only because code requires it. but the materials the guy wanted definately is not fire proof. currently we are working on the ext finish due to the fire proof issue, lol.

Not that it matters, but there is a fire station just several hundred feet way isn't there? I recall it is in plain view as you make that curve. It always looks all polished up spic & span and ready to go. Boy they have their work cut out for them since more and more new million $ nabes are popping up all along them there hills. I wish someone would also provide history of the neat parks like Bullcreek Park near The Oasis. God I wish I were there now. :wacko:

Are you able to divulge price tag or ballpark fig. on this endeavor? I mean the rebuilding of The Oasis.

Are you able to divulge price tag or ballpark fig. on this endeavor? I mean the rebuilding of The Oasis.

hmm, well i could give a ballpark figure but i'd rather not as things are still being addressed. i'll def. post that info though once we have more concrete answeres on certain things :)

Those are pretty old pictures from back in winter of last year judging by the lake level being so low. The building is much further ahead and the outside of it is pretty much done. I hadn't seen Lake Travis that low in my life. But wouldn't you know it with all the spring rains we had the lake is now a foot over flood stage. What a difference 6 months can make.

yup those are construction shots :) right now the gyp is up and everything as the building is much futher along. as a matter of fact the lower level is already up and running for business :) but there are still some kinks that need to be sorted out, lol.

so u live in austin. if i'm not mistaken there will be some townhomes going up by lake travis....

so u live in austin. if i'm not mistaken there will be some townhomes going up by lake travis....

All I know is when I do win the Lotto and pick up my 1st check in Austin I am driving straight to the area near Mt Bonnel and having my mansion built on the top of the cliff overlooking all below. I love the Spanish Mediterranean/Italiante style ie; as in San Diego/Point Loma nabes. It will be... later Houston! I'll take this one for starters I can ride my bike to The Oasis.

adriane-front1-thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Archived