Houston Fire Alarm Building At 1020 Bagby St.

gto250us

What is this building in downtown? Between the Aquarium and the Tennyson Hotel, at Bagby, Franklin and Preston streets. It is an ugly, apparently unused concrete bunker-like structure. It is not labeled in the HCAD or City of Houston databases.

Damn I tried to insert a bing birds-eye picture but it won't take it.

• Like 2

I think it's the fire alarm center that replaced an older building that was in Sam Houston Park.

It seems to do its best to be anonymous.

I thought that the old Fire Alarm building was the building that went to Fertita in a "sweet deal" and then became the Aquarium.

Then again further research suggests that you may be correct. The Aquarium was the main downtown fire station and headquarters which opened in 1968. In 1975 they opened a new fire alarm building across the street. According to Wiki.

Edited by gto250us
  • Like 1

• 13 years later...

The Houston Fire Alarm Building designed by Mackie and Kamrath.  One book, mentions the address was 1012-1016 Bagby Street but I can't find any additional information to support that.  I'm not sure of the validity. 

A decade-old Swamplot article mentions a City of Houston Fire Alarm Building was being demolished and had an address of 333 Preston Street.  I also cannot find any supporting articles for that address. Most likely a different building all together.  I heard, from the Swamplot comments, the Mackie and Kamrath building was demolished in the 1970s.

Postcard I found on Ebay:

Located in Houston’s new Civic Center and constructed in 1938, this building has received international acclaim as an outstanding example of modern contemporary architecture. In it culminates the vast network of City Automatic Electric Fire Alarm System.

This room located on an intermediate upper level in the building contains the many electric panel boards of the Automatic Fire Alarm System. Sufficient extra space is allowed for the systems expansion to serve population of 1,000,000 people.

XEmkP8F.jpg

hq4M7KX.jpg

• The title was changed to Houston Fire Alarm Building At 1020 Bagby St.
  • 1 month later...