Midtown Grove: Multifamily At 3603 Chenevert St.

lockmat

• 3 weeks later...

Rode my bike the other day past the sign for the variance request for Midtown Grove. It's right next to the condos this group recently built. I was curious and found the planning commission meeting on COH website and the developer mentioned that these would be new condos right next to their current development. It's located here. I did a little more digging on HAR, and on the Chenevert Condo page there is the following image. Looks like a lot of stuff is going to be going in at this southern part of Midtown!

hr2316886-14.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Funny how this is so far southeast in midtown. It seems like dense development in Houston more or less is sporadic in location. We don't see it now because it's not concentrated in one area, but in time, Houston will be dense and we won't enough know what hit us. It'll all grow together, not from the "center"-out like most people want or expect.

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope that midtown doesnt become like the areas east of downtown and west of downtown with all the suburban styled apartment buildings and then those ugly tin box buildings that seem to be popping up everywhere. I hope it is mostly all developments like this in the future.

Agreed, I really like the renderings for this apartment complex. CityPlace is looking very good too. Nice wide gathering area in front of the lobby with some small steps and railing. They also have balconies/patios on the first floor. I know some people would be concerned about people breaking in but it is the same idea as having a front door to your townhome... Should make the place a little more lively.

I'm liking all of the apartments so far, but I'm not worried about there not being any "mixed use" buildings yet, this is due to the fact that once one or two more buildings are built, there will be enough concentration for a mixed use apartment building to be built.

I just hope that midtown doesnt become like the areas east of downtown and west of downtown with all the suburban styled apartment buildings and then those ugly tin box buildings that seem to be popping up everywhere. I hope it is mostly all developments like this in the future.

I actually love those metal town-homes! I don't worry too much about Midtown btw. Our neighborhood already has a diverse selection of apartments (and it seems each one has to out-do the next in looks and features). Even the older apartment buildings in Midtown are nice and in good shape. My main hope for Midtown is that the middle area (east side of Main by Nouveaux) gets some condos and more retail in the next 10 years.

I think the metal homes are neat in concept and the interiors seem nice, but the design and application from Urban Homes is sub-par. They don't age well on the exterior, contrary to what I would expect from an industrial design metal house. Many of them are draped with rust stains, rough edges, and mis-matching panels. It doesn't look like the company has any in their current development portfolio for Houston.

Here are some notable examples (more noticeable in person).

Part of me likes these ones despite the prison-outfit facade, but notice the rust stains. Makes me question the build quality.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Houston,+Harris,+Texas&ll=29.739205,-95.370114&spn=0.001014,0.001035&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=29.739276,-95.370055&panoid=ywy8ikrGmq3SOBdeMqubug&cbp=12,301.45,,0,0.22

These have very noticeable mis-matching colors and splotchy awnings:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Houston,+Harris,+Texas&ll=29.740241,-95.368672&spn=0.001014,0.001035&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=29.74028,-95.368735&panoid=gVIi6h7DMi8JTJvrj9-28g&cbp=12,249.89,,0,3.83

Edited by barracuda

• 2 weeks later...

I think the metal homes are neat in concept and the interiors seem nice, but the design and application from Urban Homes is sub-par. They don't age well on the exterior, contrary to what I would expect from an industrial design metal house. Many of them are draped with rust stains, rough edges, and mis-matching panels. It doesn't look like the company has any in their current development portfolio for Houston.

Yes, you just described exactly how metallic warehouses are built and how they age.

People seem to think that products branded as being of commercial- or industrial-quality should hold up longer. I cannot comprehend why.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was coming back from Project Row Houses yesterday by driving West along Alabama St back towards Montrose and noticed a rather large construction site on the North side of Alabama just to the West of the Spur/288/59 cluster. There are two large concrete cylinder forms (about 3 or 4 stories high) on-site and wood framing is starting to go up around them. I assume it's an apartment but hadn't heard anything about it... Anyone in the know? I didn't catch the side street it is fronting but it is the first North/South street just to the West of the highway cluster.

It is literally just to the North of West Alabama St. right after you go under all of the spaghetti highway ramps. It is very close to the highrise but not directly adjacent. I am volunteering again tmrw. so will stop by to see if I can spot a construction sign.

I was coming back from Project Row Houses yesterday by driving West along Alabama St back towards Montrose and noticed a rather large construction site on the North side of Alabama just to the West of the Spur/288/59 cluster. There are two large concrete cylinder forms (about 3 or 4 stories high) on-site and wood framing is starting to go up around them. I assume it's an apartment but hadn't heard anything about it... Anyone in the know? I didn't catch the side street it is fronting but it is the first North/South street just to the West of the highway cluster.

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's not even close to the Montrose, not even to Midtown. Pretty squarely 3rd Ward.

If it's what I'm thinking of, I pass it every morning on the flyover from 288 northbound to 59 southbound. Site is immediately north of Amabala and immediately west of 59?

I thought I read somewhere on here that would be a midrise. The concrete structures would be for elevators (or stairwells?), and the rest of the structure is wood frame.

• 4 years later...
  • The title was changed to Midtown Grove: Multifamily At 3603 Chenevert St.