Ivy League Grade deflation

trymahjong

Read this in NY times today--

NYTIMES EDUCATION | January 31, 2010

Type-A-Plus Students Chafe at Grade Deflation

By LISA W. FODERARO

Princeton University's bold vision to corral grade inflation is running into fierce resistance from its Type-A-plus students.

This had been a topic of discussion at my house since one of my kids was attending RICE in the 90's. The article is thorough and mainly tells both side of this question--

Should 1/2 of the student body make "A's" ----------Princeton Authority said-- NO! when over 50% received A's sometime in the 1990's------apparently no other Ivy league school has followed suit in this direction--

As an Ivy league school, if your admissions group is doing its job along with professors and counselors, then most students should get A's. This sounds oddly familiar to the nonsense I'm hearing this time of year for performance evaluations and the "tough economy" from the parent company.

Read this in NY times today--

NYTIMES EDUCATION | January 31, 2010

Type-A-Plus Students Chafe at Grade Deflation

By LISA W. FODERARO

Princeton University's bold vision to corral grade inflation is running into fierce resistance from its Type-A-plus students.

Great article, and topic! The failure of other ivy league schools to follow, should indicate a factual formula = DON'T. If the shoe doesn't fit = DON'T. In my educational efforts, an A, is an A. I've earned the credits of formal education the hard way, and never based my intellectual prowess on grades, or what the institution regurgitated. I was either smart enough to apply for the task, or in this case discussion, job, or I applied my total talent elsewhere. A mere measure by grade, in, and of, itself is not intelligent, therefore I confer: Princeton "U" Admins ( et alia, "Lol" ) get an, "F" in Life Comprehension, and Identification of Repetitive Stupidity. I agree with Gia Mor'on ( Note to self: Careful to punctuate ) in her assertion of 6 core measurements being the gauge in occupational consideration, Vs. boasting G.P.A.'s. The people, including myself that have moved to, let's call it a, "Princeton Position" ( Aka, P.P. I know what you're thinking! ) were evaluated on a totality of qualifications. I rest my Quill...

As an Ivy league school, if your admissions group is doing its job along with professors and counselors, then most students should get A's. This sounds oddly familiar to the nonsense I'm hearing this time of year for performance evaluations and the "tough economy" from the parent company.

Right, Ivy League accepts driven well-rounded people, so the vast majority of them should be swinging for the fences all the time. There are other contributing factors that might cause some to falter: alcoholism or other substance abuse, a death in the family, etc. but by and large this should be a very motivated group of people.

Sounds like they're getting a good dose of real life effects of the political views many of them probably hold.

And what might those be? Is there an assumption that all students of elite universities politically lean one way or another?

Perhaps some of these observations can be asked in this venue?

SAVE THE DATE

Higher Education Forum

hosted by Rep. Ellen Cohen (D-Houston) with special guest Rep. Dan Branch (R-Dallas)

Chairman, Texas House of Representatives Higher Educaton Committee

6:00 - 8:00 p.m., Thursday, February 25, 2010 at The Rice School, 7550 Seuss Drive, Houston, 77025

240.jpg239.jpgPlease join Rep. Ellen Cohen (D-Houston) as she hosts a forum on higher education issues

from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, February 25,

at

The Rice School, 7550 Seuss Drive (map).

Special Guest will be Rep. Dan Branch (R-Dallas).

Rep. Branch is the chair of the Higher Education Committee on which Rep. Cohen also serves.

This session he led the successful efforts to develop more Tier One universities in Texas,

reform the Top 10% college admissions law, limit cell phone use in active school zones and provide more interactive technology in public school classrooms.

During the forum, Rep. Branch will offer

an overview of the 81st Legislative Session

and the activities assigned to the Higher Education Committee.

For more information, call 713.627.0134 or email info@ellencohen.org.

I wonder about ""doing its job"-- If you taking an "Ivy League" class, the criteria of expectation would be higher wouldn't it? Than a non Ivy League school? Would all professors expect "good work"---If you completed what was expected by your professor, to the expectations the professor stated that would be "good" work. As in any non Ivy League school----but by defination an Ivy League education isn't that is it?

So doing all that is required in a fashion the professor expects should warrant perhaps "B or B+"

but it seems to me that there would be students that would purposefully distinguish themselves with work that went beyond "Good" just as there would be students that wouldn't meet the criteria the professor stated. It seems probable that 50% of every participant in every classroom would meet the expectations of the teacher--after all it is an Ivy League school but with that said there must be someway for the professor to distinguish and reward "excellence"-- How to do that seems to be the question.

I'm afraid that sometimes, being part of an expensive Ivy League system leads to expectations by the students that simply meeting the required expectations of a professor = a grade of A

A similar thought process of "legacy acceptance" just because your parent or relative was a student you should be accepted as a student--sometimes at the expense of more qualified candidates.

This leads to those anecdotal situations we hear about where TA's in Ivy league schools are sometimes told to "pass" everyone who "turns in their work"

I wonder about ""doing its job"-- If you taking an "Ivy League" class, the criteria of expectation would be higher wouldn't it? Than a non Ivy League school? Would all professors expect "good work"---If you completed what was expected by your professor, to the expectations the professor stated that would be "good" work. As in any non Ivy League school----but by defination an Ivy League education isn't that is it?

So doing all that is required in a fashion the professor expects should warrant perhaps "B or B+"

but it seems to me that there would be students that would purposefully distinguish themselves with work that went beyond "Good" just as there would be students that wouldn't meet the criteria the professor stated. It seems probable that 50% of every participant in every classroom would meet the expectations of the teacher--after all it is an Ivy League school but with that said there must be someway for the professor to distinguish and reward "excellence"-- How to do that seems to be the question.

I'm afraid that sometimes, being part of an expensive Ivy League system leads to expectations by the students that simply meeting the required expectations of a professor = a grade of A

A similar thought process of "legacy acceptance" just because your parent or relative was a student you should be accepted as a student--sometimes at the expense of more qualified candidates.

This leads to those anecdotal situations we hear about where TA's in Ivy league schools are sometimes told to "pass" everyone who "turns in their work"

Aside: Dude, check your spelling & sentence structure, please.

Archived