Is Dallas Considered A "newer" City Than Houston?

Does it look newer than Houston?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Does it look newer than Houston?

• Yes
    • No
    • Both are same

I was speaking with a lady who was from Dallas on the phone the other day who's moving to Houston. We were talking about differences between Houston and Dallas. She said that Dallas is "newer" than Houston but Houston has more to do. I wanted to know people's thoughts on this because i don't think that Dallas is so much more "newer" than Houston.

True Dallas's downtown areas and skyscrapers look more restored in certain parts than does Houston's downtown. And they did a great job restoring the areas on and around Central Expressway, but Houston is quickly repairing the roads and sidewalks to become a newer city in itself. Its downtown areas are shaping up and especially on 59 between over the arches in Montrose. Houston also has its' uptown area that looks somewhat "new".

This isn't meant to start any flamewars but i want to know people's thoughts on this. Just because Dallas has some things that are considered new, does that mean that the whole city should be classified newer? Respectful discussions only please.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes, if you're talking about everything located north of I635. no, for everything south ofI635. not pretty at all

That's a joke, right. The wealthiest areas in this part of the country are between downtown and 635. Its not as new as Far North Dallas, but there is a ton of new and it is just as nice, if not nicer. You could say that for I-30 though.

Well, Houston was founded before Dallas. But I guess the real question is which city "feels" newer, mabey. Not really shure about that one. Parts of houston look very rustic, industrial, and just gritty, and have a pretty old feel to it. But then there is Uptown, and the energy/financial districts of downtown, which are pretty darn futuristic. The question I think generalizes two cities that vary extremeley between the two sides. It cant really be answered accurately.

Well, Houston was founded before Dallas.  But I guess the real question is which city "feels" newer, mabey.  Not really shure about that one.  Parts of houston look very rustic, industrial, and just gritty, and have a pretty old feel to it.  But then there is Uptown, and the energy/financial districts of downtown, which are pretty darn futuristic.  The question I think generalizes two cities that vary extremeley between the two sides.  It cant really be answered accurately.

Houston was founded in 1836 and Dallas was founded in 1841. This is only a five year difference and i don't think that should be factored in to how the cities look today. I think that because Houston is larger and more spread out, Dallas may have a little less to work with to give the overall impression of being a newer city.

It's quite deceiving though because Houston being larger, there are definitely more nice neighborhoods and probably more poorer neighborhoods. It's really hard to tell.

That's a joke, right.  The wealthiest areas in this part of the country are between downtown and 635.  Its not as new as Far North Dallas, but there is a ton of new and it is just as nice, if not nicer.  You could say that for I-30 though.

they do have nice parts ,just like any other citiy. Maybe it's just me, but the drive from desoto to the "market" area(via I-35) was hideous.also from grand prairie to garland seemed pretty old.the only newness i felt was las colinas, the galleria area and everything north of that.You should take my tour. Why is it when most people visit dallas and consider it pretty,they haven't ventured any farther than plano and frisco?

You should really consider touring the Dallas area much more extensively if that is all you saw. I could say the same about Houston (I really like H-town btw) if perhaps I visited the Pasadena area. Did you manage to get off the highways much? Try to get deep into North Dallas (south of 635) on Preston Rd. and you'll get a better feeling of the city.

IMO, the drive on I-45 N of 610 is more unsightly than the drive on 225. Sure, 225 has industries, but, I-45N has scads of billboards, old, ramshackle businesses, and I think there may be a trailer park or two visible from the freeway. It's everything bad about Houston on one freeway..and all of this lasts nearly until The Woodlands! South of 610, though..you get the ultra futuristic skyline, which almost makes up for the agonizingly long and dready drive.

Meanwhile, on 288, you get a nice skyline view; albeit one with a view of some of the older, less attractive towers (Exxon Tower, Houston House Ats, etc). which seems to scream "Old Philadelphia" "Old LA" or something... Now, get rid of those uglier towers, and the skyline(edit: my post got messed up) would look much better.

You should really consider touring the Dallas area much more extensively if that is all you saw.  I could say the same about Houston (I really like H-town btw) if perhaps I visited the Pasadena area.  Did you manage to get off the highways much?  Try to get deep into North Dallas (south of 635) on Preston Rd. and you'll get a better feeling of the city.

Pasadena, the older industrial areas around the port, have that gritty feel to it, naturally. I dont live in Pasadena, but I live not that far away on Houston's southeast side, and have seen many areas of Pasadena become quite beautiful. I know, it's hard to believe. But it's true.

IMO, the drive on I-45 N of 610 is more unsightly than the drive on 225.  Sure, 225 has industries, but, I-45N has scads of billboards, old, ramshackle businesses, and I think there may be a trailer park or two visible from the freeway.    It's everything bad about Houston on one freeway..and all of this lasts nearly until The Woodlands!  South of 610, though..you get the ultra futuristic skyline, which almost makes up for the agonizingly long and dready drive.

Meanwhile, on 288, you get a nice skyline view; albeit one with a view of some of the older, less attractive towers (Exxon Tower, Houston House Ats, etc). which seems to  scream "Old Philadelphia" "Old LA" or something...  Now, get rid of those uglier towers, and the skyline

Neither Philly nor LA had very tall office buildings in "older" days. Both cities had relatively short, stone-clad government buildings as their tallest for many years. So, I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying. I really like the Houston skyline view from 288 and 45 South. I'll grant you that the Exxon and Houston House buildings have a real 50s/60s quirkiness to them. They're cool, though.

I know that..for some reason, though..that's the first thing that pops into my head. Maybe it's because of the older buildings in this pic:

234392.jpg

Heh.

I was on the North Freeway just today and I can tell you that south of West Road to about the North Loop, it's mostly unsightly with those billboards but there aren't nearly as many empty buildings along the feeders as there were when I first moved here five years ago. I think the worst things about the North Freeway are:

1) The billboards

2) The display signs by the various business (too tall and overbearing).

From about West Road to The Woodlands, however, most of what's there is pretty new, very suburban like, and similar to the I-35 north corridor in Austin, the I-10 corridor in NW San Antonio and US 75 north from Dallas to about McKinney.

If want to see the Dallas that Dallasites know, I'd suggest streets like:

Gaston, Swiss Ave, Preston Rd(from its origin, all the way up to Plano), NW Highway, Royal, Walnut Hill, Forest Lane. Even Garland Rd. Even try the Dallas North Tollway from its street origin in Uptown and stop off at the numerous(Dallas leads the state in millionaires and billionaires) beautiful mansion communities now expensive condo towers going up, and super luxury townhome areas along Turtle Creek all the way up into Frisco to the Starwoods and Stonebriars of the world.. That's the Platinum Corridor. Its a different kind of newness. A very expensive and shiny newness. Just imagine continuous wealth for almost 30 miles. I'd imagine its responsible for the image of Dallas newness.

IMO, the drive on I-45 N of 610 is more unsightly than the drive on 225.  Sure, 225 has industries, but, I-45N has scads of billboards, old, ramshackle businesses, and I think there may be a trailer park or two visible from the freeway.    It's everything bad about Houston on one freeway..and all of this lasts nearly until The Woodlands!  South of 610, though..you get the ultra futuristic skyline, which almost makes up for the agonizingly long and dready drive.

Meanwhile, on 288, you get a nice skyline view; albeit one with a view of some of the older, less attractive towers (Exxon Tower, Houston House Ats, etc). which seems to  scream "Old Philadelphia" "Old LA" or something...  Now, get rid of those uglier towers, and the skyline

Coming south on I45N, as you approach 610 and then downtown, is one of the most striking skyline views around. It's awesome. The huge towers just seem to menace as they get closer and closer until it just overwhelmes you right in front.

It's too bad we can't blindfold visitors coming from Intercontinental until they reach the 610 Loop. From there on in, it's a attractive introduction to the city.

Unfortunately, people get a strong first impression that Houston is a real dump as soon as they leave the airport and get on I-45S. As they say, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

they do have nice parts ,just like any other citiy. Maybe it's just me, but the drive from desoto to the "market" area(via I-35) was hideous.also from grand prairie to garland seemed pretty old.the only newness i felt was las colinas, the galleria area and everything north of that.You should take my tour. Why is it when most people visit dallas and consider it pretty,they haven't ventured any farther than plano and frisco?

Sounds like you didn't even go to the city of Dallas. Try out Turtle Creek, Swiss Avenue, Preston Hollow, Kessler Park and Lakewood. All are beautiful. All have old mansions from the '20s. All are located south of 635. With the exception of Preston Hollow, all are full of hills.

Being relatively new to the state, I've noticed that both Houston and Dallas must be viewed off the freeways. IMO both of these cities treasures are not visible from the freeways.

Certainly there are awesome skyline views with both (Houston better) but that about wraps up the freeway tours.

Yes, median age and the fact it seems to cater to the yuppy with all the urban, trendy spots. Houston seems more pipe and slippers. However, downtown is the exception.

Actually they are both at a 30 year old median age. As far as the pipe and slippers I don't see that at all. There are of course suburban exceptions in H-Town but as an outsider I have always viewed Houston as more energized and forward thinking.

I think it might have to do with the crowd you "hang out with." When you are in college, you tend to live around college people.

When you are post college, you tend to live around older people. It could just be a symptom of the part of town you're living in.

I think it might have to do with the crowd you "hang out with." When you are in college, you tend to live around college people.

When you are post college, you tend to live around older people. It could just be a symptom of the part of town you're living in.

Who were you refering to Space City?

I should have been more clear, Gary. Maybe KatieDidIt's impression of Dallas was framed by her age, occupation and neighborhood. And her impression of Houston is framed by the same factors.

Taking in all of Houston and Dallas, I'd say both have their hip urban neighborhoods and sprawling family neighborhoods. This is further illustrated by the median age of both cities being identical.

I should have been more clear, Gary. Maybe KatieDidIt's impression of Dallas was framed by her age, occupation and neighborhood. And her impression of Houston is framed by the same factors.

Taking in all of Houston and Dallas, I'd say both have their hip urban neighborhoods and sprawling family neighborhoods. This is further illustrated by the median age of both cities being identical.

Yeah I would agree completely. It's kind of like when I go back to the home I grew up in, it seemed so much bigger when I was a kid.

Dallas' population is generally more white-collar, and as a result better educated overall. This might lead one to think that Dallas feels newer, since life just seems to move a lot faster and more smoothly there. I love Houston, and I'd live here over Dallas any day, but the fact is that they are a lot more energetic, upbeat and forward thinking than we are.

All of this white-collar yuppyism also leads to lots of civic pride (some might call it in-your-face insecurity and shallowness), which leads to a much cleaner city, which also might lead one to believe it's newer.

As far as urban planning, Dallas is light years ahead of Houston in its embrace of newer ideas such as New Urbanism. Even old ideas like zoning (which Houston does not have) hold Dallas development to higher standards, and keeps the Houston phenomenon of mansion next to cracked out apartment complex next to used car lot, at bay.

I love Houston, but a lot of the things we brush off here are giving Dallas a better face for the world than our own.

Archived